Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2004 2:36:57 PM EDT
I'm working on my Bushmaster complete lower receiver to take off the A2 stock and install my new Magpul 93A stock.  After a trip to the hardware store, I finally found the proper screwdriver and got the stock assembly off.  Now I have the full size A2 buffer tube and the darn thing won't budge!  What can I do about this?  I'm terrified that I'll damage the receiver and if it happens, I'm royally screwed, as it's a CA registered lower... A 5/8's wrench won't even make that buffer tube budge in the slightest!

HELP!!!

What to do?

Please post ASAP

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Use a blow torch and heat the recever extension 2" behind the receiver.  Hit it with the flame and count to two then pull the flame away.  You should smell a sweet smell of the loctite bond being broken.  From there, it's just a simple twist on the back flats to unscrew the extension.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#2]
It may have some thread locking compound on it.

Put your lower in a vise (well padded )

Use a Hair dryer to heat up the threaded end.

Use a wrench that FITS the nut end of the tube.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Got it.  I continued to use the wrench and pushed the receiver in the opposite direction.  When it gave, it popped loudly then turned freely.  That lock tite stuff works too well....

Thanks guys!

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
It is good when, WECSOGS works.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top