Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 6:10:59 PM EDT
haveWhats the chances of loosing an eye and a finger if I try to push it out from the business end (with the bolt held back)after lubing it for a day?
I can't seperate the upper, or should I say, I'm afraid to use alot of force to seperate the upper.
I expect many useful posts Sat night when I get home....Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:01:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:22:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes. middle of the magazine. It's a "stock" Colt. Never a problem of any kind, about a thousand rounds through it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:11:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, by bump, that's what I mean. It's a .223 round like the others I fed through it, I verified by reading the rear of the shell casing. It didn't go all the way in. The extractor initially griped it, that's why i had to bump it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#8]
If you need to stay away from the business end of the barrel, you can patch the heck out of a cleaning rod and push it into the muzzle, then turn the rifle around and push the rifle into the cleaning rod while the rod is resting against a wall or in a vise.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#9]
THAT LAST ONE WAS A GOOD SUGGESTION FOR THE FUTURE. i READ ANOTHER POST ABOUT USING A ROD TO MEASURE TO SEE IF THE ROUND WAS INDEED LIVE.....IT WASN'T, I'M A DUMB ASS. IT HUNG UP IN THE MIDDLE OF A MAG...I WASN'T SURE.
IF WAS SPENT AND JAMMED LIKE A MO-FO. I HAD TO GET A BRASS ROD FROM LOWE'S AND KNOCK THE CRAP OUT OF IT.
THE PRIMER END OF THE CASE WAS OUT ABOUT A 1/4 INCH. THE PART THAT WAS OUT LOOKS EXPANDED, THERE IS A PRETTY SOLID LINE OF "SOOT" WHERE THE EXPANSION SEEMS TO END.  IF I HAD TO GUESS I'D SAY IT FIRED BEFORE IT WAS ALL THE WAY IN ??
ANY COMMENTS?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#11]
You know this is what makes me think that one should not put max ammount of rounds in a mag!

Reason is that with a full twenty or thirty round mag there is a little resistance from the round against the BC!   So you whack it hard and the round could deform a little!

If you had 29 rounds in a thirty then the spring could alow for the extra crush put on the round!

I know that is probably not his problem,but what do you think about this Tweek?

Bob
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
 So you whack it hard and the round could deform a little!
If you had 29 rounds in a thirty then the spring could alow for the extra crush put on the round!
Bob

Even with the mag loaded to the max, the top case will not be deformed by the seating the mag on a locked carrier using an upward pop on the bottom of the mag.

What Tweak was leading to is that on bad cycle load, the case can be bent on a off line load and this will deform the case in such a way that it no longer fits into the chamber correctly. As you pointed out, the sidewall of the case is dented, and the case is not longer in perfectly circular.  To take it one step further, since most chambers have room in the sidewall dimensions to allow the feeding of a round slightly out of round, it's most likely a dents to the front of the case of that flairs the shoulder and prevents it fully seating.

Now if your referring to a round being deformed in the mag during the cycle mode, a mag that has sand or some other foreign object that does not allow the top round to slightly lower as the carrier passes back will crease the top round.  This fouling will hold the top round just enough for the fast moving carrier to do some damage (read angle/direction of force to the case in regards to the spring pressure to the round).

Now back to the original problem, was this just a case of the chamber being fouled to the point that this bound the case, or was the ammo suspect and may have been deformed at production.  The reason that I ask is that before I drop $140 on a can of IMI turn-ins, would like to get a idea of what I may in for.  I’ve figured that I would a least need to drop them in a tumble to clean them up a bit, bit if its as bad as needing to pull them down and resize the cases, I would rather not waste my time buying the ammo.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top