Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 5:59:25 PM EDT
I just striped my HBAR 11 down for the first time for a clean. When i replaced the buffer spring and the buffer the buffer retainer has locked in place and i have about  one inch of buffer sticking out of the stock.There is no way of getting the retainer down and the buffer is locked in place.
The manual said nothing of which is up or down.My buffer is in with the flat down.There is no way of getting any tool in to depress the retainer down .
i have a military manual on this rifle,and i thought about taking off the buttstock assembly and coming in from the back but the book says if i remove the self locking screw i will need to replace it with a new one.
Any ideas anyone
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#1]
G'day bloke. Just try pushing a little harder, mate. The retaining pin will pop down and Bob's yer uncle. Or you can carefully use a small flat head screw driver to get in there and push the mongrel down.

Mick
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#3]
We all reuse that big screw in the back of the buttstock, if you are worried about it, put a drop of loc-tit on it when tightening it down, but I would'nt, you may never get it off again.  It sounds like you just have to give it a good hard tap and it should go right in, unless you have something else going on.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:26:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Aussiem1a, I agree try to push harder on the buffer.  The "rings" milled on the buffer are angled on the back side of the buffer so they can depress the buffer detent when you re-insert.  However, don't whack the buffer, the detent CAN be bent, use caution and good luck.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Second inner lip on the buffer has flats to allow the buffer detent pin to ride past.

To remove the buffer, press down on the detent to allow the first lip to ride past, then spin the buffer to get one of the second lip flats aligned with the detent pin to allow it to pass.

Note: It helps to rattle the buffer to ride over the second milled section of the lip.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for all the advice,with a little more persuasion i got her in
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top