Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2004 11:51:38 AM EDT
Hello, I am a moron, too!

With a new telescoping stock on the way, I thought I would go ahead and remove the stubby stock on my bushmaster lower. I read the other thread about heating up around the "castle nut" because of loctite. Right now I cannot loosen the flat-head screw on the very bottom of the stock (A2 stock screw), it won't budge a bit. I am afraid it will be stripped soon and then I will really be screwed. Is this loctited on as well, or am I doing something wrong in my attempt at removing it?

Thanks for your help!

drew

edit: to clarify that I am talking about the A2 stock screw...
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:15:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Drew, until you tool up you are going to have a rough ride.
Most of item on the rifle have been loctited from the factory.

On the butt stock screw, you just need a larger flat head screw driver to back the screw out (one that fills the slot).  If you try to use heat, you end up cooking the butt stock butt plate.  

From there, you will need to heat the old receiver extension just behind the receiver to break the bond. Once broken, you can use the flats on the back of the tube to spin it out.  As it start to spin, reach inside the receiver and retain the buffer detent pin as it will pop out once the lip is spun back.

When you install the carbine receiver extension, you need to spin it in until slips over the buffer detent flat, then touches the center of the post. From there, its just a matter of slightly backing it out to index and the castle nut tightened down to hold the index. The end of extension lip needs to retain the buffer retaining detent.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, Dano! Your post is very helpful. I'm off to go tool up!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top