Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 1:31:29 AM EDT
I had a bolt break on me at the range this weekend.  The lugs on both sides of the extractor broke off.
I have personal knowledge of this happening 3 other times to people I know with a 762X39 upper.  Do any of you know what causes this and is there any way of correcting the problem?  Thanks for your replies.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Problem would be incorrect heat treating/finishing.  Sounds like you all got bolts from the same batch.

Best bet would be to find a new supplier that would have a different batch of bolts, and may not that the brittle defect.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Could also be a bad barrel.  I kept blowing extractors on mine until I found out the bolt would not close on a go gauge.

Changed barrels and problem solved.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:50:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Hiya Plate -
Check your headspace, I had a 5.56 AR that broke two, come to find out the bolt closed on a NOGO guage.  The barrel extension was cocked on the barrel, and the bolt lugs were not all engaging the lugs in the barrel extension.   It is either this, or the bolts are improperly hardened.  Ops
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:35:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for your replies, I sent the bolt back to the supplier who told me it has a lifetime warranty.  If I get another failure, I will send the upper back.  I don't have any  headspace gauges for 762X39, so I will let them check it if need be.  I don't know if there is much pressure difference in 762X39 amd 223.  Maybe the rifle in that caliber needs to be re engineered to have the service life that the 223 has.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:59:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:09:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Tweak, That answers that question for me.  
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top