Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2004 5:58:31 PM EDT
I need some help.  I ordered a RRA upper from ADCO about a month ago.  When I got it, I noticed some wear INSIDE the upper.  After cleaning it for the first time, I saw that the finish was wiping off with just a little CLP and a rag.  Is this normal?  I emailed Steve, but I have not heard back, can anyone help?  Should I worry about this, or is it no big deal?  TIAhttp://home.comcast.net/~finalflash/arwear2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~finalflash/arwear1.jpg
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  I did hear back from Steve, and said much the same.  I will be giving RRA a call today.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#4]
MrPickles, are you sure you just used CLP???

I know you might not want to admit it in a public forum, but I suspect that you used Hoppes #9 or a similar bore solvent when cleaning the inside of your upper.

Ask me how I know...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I won't ask if you don't tellHoppes
Just to give a heads-up, I did reach RRA, and they looked at the pics.  They had me RMA the upper back to them right away.  I will be sure to post what happens here for prosperity
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn, I've used carbuerator cleaner on mine and never had that happen!  If that's the aluminum finish I'm seeing, there is a big problem.  Make sure your carrier does'nt have issues either, that might be scraping the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#7]
asltrfl, you and I think alike.  The first thing I checked was the bolt carrier.  I thought maybe that it was out of spec and rubbing/hitting inside the upper.  No luck, the carrier is pristine.  I would have to go with Tweak and Shadowblade, it's faulty anodizing.  I'm not pissed about it, it can happen, but I want RRA to make it right.  I will keep everyone posted on how this turns out.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone care to elaborate on Hoppe's #9 and anodizing?
Is there a bad chemical reaction there?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:31:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I kind of surprised that ADCO did not make good on an exchange and then they return the upper to RRA. Yeah its not the dealer's fault, but I think he should stand in.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:59:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks guys.  I did hear back from Steve, and said much the same.  I will be giving RRA a call today.  

Hi,
I just posted this same finish question yesterday!
From your pics, it's exactly what my RRA Upper looks like. I admit, I use MPro-7, but it has never harmed my Bushmaster in any way.  Crap, now I have to take pics, and call RRA??
I got mine from RB Precision.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:30:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I just got my RRA upper from ADCO.  What should I rub on it to see if I have this problem?  I hate to install it, then a week later have to uninstall it because the finish is done improperly?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:04:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Probably should start with CLP only.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Leisure_Shoot, the anodized finish of most ARs' is sealed with a Nickel Acetate film.

Hoppes #9 & other similar bore solvents are not to be used on Nickel-plated firearms because the solvents can discolor (and in the case of a Nickel Acetate film) dissolve the Nickel present.

A while back, I found this out the hard way, and my upper looked EXACTLY like mrPickles when I was through with it.

I'm not saying mrPickles is fibbing, but...
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top