Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2004 5:06:45 PM EDT
I just replaced the A1 stock on my carbine with an M4 stock. I replaced the buffer and spring as well. For some reason the bolt and carrier assembly will not move back far enough to lock open. It is about 1/8" from locking open.

Any ideas???

Thanks,

tb1
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Can anyone tell me how much difference in length there is between the rifle and carbine springs????
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Can anyone tell me how much difference in length there is between the rifle and carbine springs????

ALOT, it's very obvious.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#4]
It's in the manual check here in the AR15.COM manuals section:
www.ar15.com/content/manuals/
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I just replaced the A1 stock on my carbine with an M4 stock. I replaced the buffer and spring as well. For some reason the bolt and carrier assembly will not move back far enough to lock open. It is about 1/8" from locking open.

Any ideas???

Thanks,

tb1

Your buffer and or spring is too long.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]
There are 2 different lenght recoil springs for the AR15s. One spring for the standard buttstock and a shorter one for the CAR15 sliding buttstock.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Could the tube have gone into the reciever too far? Can this be possible?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any ideas???

Thanks,

tb1

Your buffer and or spring is too long.

That's what I thought as well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Only screw the buffer tube far enough in to bite the edge of the buffer retaining pin...it shouldnt be screwed in all the way...if the tube is at the right distance, probably the wrong buffer.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Since that is mostly a function of the charging handle and bolt in relation to the bolt catch and mag follower. I'd tend to think that you have the incorrect buffer installed, you left out the spacer between the buffer tube and the lower, or the buffer retainer is not captured by the tube.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Since that is mostly a function of the charging handle and bolt in relation to the bolt catch and mag follower. I'd tend to think that you have the incorrect buffer installed, you left out the spacer between the buffer tube and the lower, or the buffer retainer is not captured by the tube.

It is the correct buffer and the spacer is there. The buffer tube is just touching the center post on the retainer.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is the correct buffer and the spacer is there. The buffer tube is just touching the center post on the retainer.

Well, that's as far as I can go without having it in my hands, sorry
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, that's as far as I can go without having it in my hands, sorry

Thanks for the input.

This is so damn frustrating>
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=29879

THANK YOU WALDO!

It is the spring. I was sold a carbine stock assembly with a rifle spring. I hope the local gunshop has the carbine springs in stock. It will suck if I have to wait another week to get one in the mail before I can shoot my rifle.

Thanks to all that helped it is great to have a place like this, where if you don't know the answer, chances are, someone else does.

My membership fees will be in the mail.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top