Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/25/2004 5:19:40 PM EDT
I bought this Bushy yesterday and took it to the range today. The bolt would never lock open afterr the last round. Here is a pic. I swapped the bolt carrier from my OLY and it worked with it. Also the OLY would work with the Bushy carrier. It looks to me like there isn't enough metal on the carrier below the bolt to grab onto. Any ideas? I'm calling Bushmaster tomorrow to talk to their tech sopport.

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421479799/10.jpg

OLY on the left, Bushy on the right.
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
It looks to me like there isn't enough metal on the carrier below the bolt to grab onto.

When the bolt gets locked to the rear; the bolt catch acts on the bolt, not the carrier.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 4:20:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Another possibility is you are using an A1 length stock with and A2 length stock bolt, which will keep the bolt carrier from opening it's full amount.

You hit the head of the nail, that is what I'm doing. Now I need to find a new screw. I'll need 2 since my oly is done the same fashion. I should have caught on to this because when I first tried the action after cleaning the first time all was fine. I changed the the stock just before going to the range. I feels like a fool. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago when I tried my new bushy. It happened with a 20 rd. mag with green follower, I changed to a 30 rd. mag with black follwer no problem. Any body have any Ideas why this happens.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 4:23:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I ordered the proper screws from Bushmaster. The proper screws are suppose to be 1/2" in length, the A2 screws are considerably longer. I know I could have made them or cut the ones I have but if I decide to go back to the A2 length stock I would be looking for screws again.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:50:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey Guys
The buffer tube has nothing to do with it.
The A1 and A2 buffer tubes are the same length, which is why with an A2 stock you need a spaces, the stock is longer not the buffer tube.
The problem is the gas key on top of the bolt carrier is loose or ill fitting.
It might seem tight to the touch.
But if it is the slightest bit loose there won’t be enough blow back pressure to carrier the bolt back to the bolt catch.
It might work great if there are rounds in the mag because the bolt does not have to travel as far back to cycle.
Try tightening it up and then re-staking it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The buffer tube has nothing to do with it.

Read THEN post,
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I reinstalled the A2 stock with the spacer and now the bolt locks open. I will be getting the srcews on ups tomorrow and can't wait to fix both my ARs.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:21:35 AM EDT
[#8]

I swapped the bolt carrier from my OLY and it worked with it

Are you saying it worked with a different bolt carrier?

I tried the A2 screw with an A1 stock on a FNMI M16A4 at work,
Funny I could still lock the bolt to the rear????

Ya tweak you’re a big help!
Why didn’t you just post “look it up in the FAQ” like you usually do?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#9]
The differences between the A-1 and A-2 stock is that the A-2 stock/butt stock screw is longer and uses a space to take up the void between the back of the stock to the receiver extension used for both.  If you use the longer A-2 screw in a A-1 stock (which does not use a spacer), then the threads of the longer screw enters into the back of the receiver extension and limits the full rearward movement of the buffer to the back of the receiver extension.  

Now to push the point even father, on a spec rifle, the bolt face should be stopped just in front of the back of the ejection port by the buffer bottoming out in the receiver extension, yet be 1/8" rearward of the bolt catch in order to allow it the needed time to set during buffer delay/dead blow effect.

Point blank, if you can't get the bolt catch to work by hand since the longer butt stock screw is threaded into the cavity of the receiver extension and limiting the buffer's full rearward throw, then how would dicking with the carrier key shorten the problem causing butt stock screw?

Hell, the funny part of this is that the solution was already given well before someone jumped off the deep end and started to ramble on about a carrier key.  Personally, I would have left a foreskin imprint on someone’s forehead from the dick slap that he should have gotten, but I guess Tweak was just waking up from his nap when he posted his polite reply.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#10]
UnusSupra1,

Didn't you say you weren't going to hang around here in the whiny "take my ball and go home" IM you sent me?

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh, I am sorry do I offend you!

Yea, but I was so impressed by your reply.
I had to come back.
Your #1 in my book
I sure would like to meet you.
Are you any where close to Bremerton, Wa?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Personally, I would have left a foreskin imprint on someone’s forehead from the dick slap that he should have gotten, but I guess Tweak was just waking up from his nap when he posted his polite reply.

LMAO  

Correct, I was fumbling. The bolt was locking open on my OLY carrier, but in the incorrect place. Frankly I'm surprised it even functioned. I did have a FTS (fail to strip?) once in a while. Both ARs operated normally except that they weren't going to the full rear position and the oly had less material removed then the bushy (on the end of the carrier), as you can see on the pic above.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Personally, I would have left a foreskin imprint on someone’s forehead from the dick slap that he should have gotten,

I don't know what's worse, that mental image or that Dano included my name in his post.

Oddly enough, he complained about THAT response. He seems a little sensitive.

UnusSupra1,

I'm usually 20 minutes west of Olympia, I'm also in west Tacoma (just past the bridge) 4 days during the work week from 12-4. Better yet there's a shoot planned the 22nd of this month why don't you come down and meet the whole crew? They just adore newbies.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:51:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Down by Olympia and Tacoma?

Do you have a couple of business down there?

Where’s the shoot? What are you shooting, rifle, pistol, shotgun?

Send me directions.

I so want to meet you and the crew, but please tell me it’s more than you and your internet ego?

Tweak
Team Member
Just another rude online knowitall

If I make the grade can I be part of the online know it alls?

Tweak

Team Member
Director of Counter Surveillance Operations

Why the change in your signature line
New job or was the tin foil causing the hair to fall out?

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:57:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Got my screws from Bushmaster, all is better now. Reinstalled the A1 stocks on both ARs and they are operating normal now. Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#16]
You're welcome SLYHUNTER, glad it was something simple and cheap. Usually is.

UnusSupra1,

I live in McCleary and work in Tacoma.

They'll be shooting everything at the shoot, two shoots back my other boss brought out her RPDV and everyone took turns burning up multiple belts of 7,62SOV. Last time they even got really bored and blew up some trees with Tannerite.

Directions are at the WA Forum.

Dunno how many may be there for the one I'm thinking of, sounds like it gone slightly sideways as some of the regulars can't make it. We usually have about 20 or so show up.

If you post pertinent, concise, and clearheaded advice to people that come here with their problematic rifles you can be anything you want and we'll be glad to have you.

That's not my "signature line" you're seeing; that's a "forum title" a new feature added since the changeover. We're still sorting out how to use it best. Used to be a lot simpler, one was a Moderator in their forum and a Team Member elsewhere. Now it's not so simple. My sig line has the link the WA Forum where the shoots are set up, discussed, and AAR'd.

If you knew the site history you wouldn't think counter surveillance ops was a tin foil idea. Those that have been here for awhile get the joke.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:42:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Tweak
Don’t be fooled “Date Joined” is the first time a person came to this site.
Since I started coming here it has changed 3 times, and the first time there was no such thing as a paying membership “Team Member”. But it was very primitive then.
The thing back then was all the post with links to Ebay showing all the illegal pre-ban rifles. Remember when Ebay allowed weapon auctions?

So far I have had 4 accounts since 1998.
But I can’t seem to remember my login and password after deployments or came home and had to get a new email address, so it was easer to just reregister.

I like to read every thing every body has to say, but don’t post a lot.
I noticed a lot of guys make commits with no meaning at all, like “My 1000th Post”
Then everybody jumps on to get more for them self with replies like “IBTL”.
I mostly hang out in the EE form I am always looking for a good deal.

I do admit that I read right over the screw part because

1) The gentleman in his 1st post-stated one bolt carrier worked one didn’t. He never said any thing about stock change or where the bolt carrier was locking on the bolt catch. But not his fault, that’s why he started the post, for help.

2)The guy that made reference to the screw deleted his post before I got here and it was quoted in a lower post thsat I missed.

Go back and re-read the CASE STUCK IN CHAMBER post.
Look what your partner Dano523 posted about rough and or dirty chamber.

But with all that said and after talking with you for the last couple of days, I think you’re a pretty cool guy just a little quick on the key board.
But we all are at some time or other.

Tweak
Team Member
Last time they even got really bored and blew up some trees with Tannerite.

How much you using to blow trees?
With all the 9-11 stuff and the DC snipers comming from your area could be problems?

Good luck, I'll see you around.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:05:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I think you’re a pretty cool guy just a little quick on the key board.

While you are correct that I am a cool guy I meant whay I said in the IM to you.

I do not care about a person's background or anything else. I only care what they post in here. If they are helpful in here then I do not care what they do elsewhere. If they have enough knowledge to help others here then I do not care where they got that knowledge. Military service, advanced degrees, combat time, formal training all equal zip unless you can prove what you know by helping others and, most importantly, learn from their problems and other's solutions. I've met certified armorers (both .civ and .mil) that I wouldn't trust with a screwdriver. I've met high school kids that have the whole thing down. It's not about exposure to the knowledge, it's about retention of that knowledge.

How much you using to blow trees?
With all the 9-11 stuff and the DC snipers comming from your area could be problems?

IIRC they used a hatchet to notch the trees then used 2 bottles (in sequence) to take out what appeared to be (I didn't get close enough to look) a 14" Doug Fir. I tend to avoid the combination of explosives, firearms, and ETOH.

I have truly been surprised at the lack of Phederal attention around here given those events. Between the DC murderers and Rebel_ghey you'd think they would be sitting on the WA forum. But you know what that means, they're just being extra sneaky in their surveillance.

Good luck, I'll see you around.

I'll be here.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top