Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/13/2003 6:49:38 PM EDT
I can't get any type/make loaded mag, no matter what capacity, to lock into my Armalite if the bolt's closed. With an open bolt, no problem. Or, I can drop a few rounds out of a mag then load OK with a closed bolt. Empty mags fit fine, open or closed bolt. Is this normal?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It's usual for it to be a bit tight.  Press hard and it will seat.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:51:23 AM EDT
[#2]
FWIW......a buddy of mine had this problem with new Brittish steel 30 rd mags. He could only load 28 out of 30 rounds and still get the mag to lock in place.

We figured it was just the new mag springs being tough because after a few times being loaded and emptied he could get 30 rds in and the mag would then lock in place.

But since you have this problem with all mags, you could try adjusting your mag catch.....might help.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the same problem with my Colt and the British steel magazines. I took the cheap way out and just traded them off for USGI mags. Seems to work just fine now. Plus, I've taken to only loading 28 rounds in each mag.

Jeremy
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:02:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I always download my mags, any mag, down by one to reduce the effort need to latch the mag in while doing a tactical reload.  The fact that you can insert and latch a mag as long as it isn't loaded to the max seems to indicate to me that you just need to lose a round.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:04:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I took a CQB class earlier this year.  Instructor was Dave Harrington, a Delta operator.  He instructed us to always download 30-round mags to 28 rounds to insure the mag would lock in place with a closed bolt.  The 20-round mags don’t suffer from this “issue” and he recommended loading those to 20-rounds.  He knows his stuff, so my practice has been to load my mags as he suggested.  I’m sure others on here will disagree.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:07:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine is 50/50 proposition.....I try to load on an open bolt if I can.

Most of my "fail-safe" mags do not have this problem.

Some Orlites, Thermolds, and some of my beat up range mags do.  They are not "go-to" for SHTF though.....
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#7]
My sanchez mags load just fine on a closed bolt and it realy dosn't take that much force to seat them ethier.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top