Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/6/2003 10:28:20 PM EDT
I recently purchased a complete RRA lower and an upper that was complete with barrel, bolt, charging handle, etc.  I got it all assembled and everything looked good except when I cycle the bolt slowly it doesnt always lock completely in place (I think the appropriate term is "lock into battery". I could be wrong though!).  If I pull it back and drop  it, it doesn't seem to have this problem. I read the FAQ and my problem does not sound the same as the "failure to lock" problem described in the FAQ as my bolt closes completly except it stops right where the bolt should lock into place.  Almost as if the bolt is not turning easily enough to lock in.  The guy I spoke to at the gun shop (not where I purchased it) said it would probably break in after firing it but to watch it closely and make sure I don't fire it while the bolt is not completely locked in.  I was hoping I could get some advice from the members of the AR15 forum as to how I should proceed.  Should I shoot it and see if it breaks in or should I just send it back?  Any advice is greatly appreciated and I appologize for the amateurish description, but this is my first trip into the world of the AR.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 2:11:48 AM EDT
[#1]
So it doesnt go into battery when you [b]slowly ride the bolt home[/b] instead of allowing it to slam home like its supposed to?

Its new.  Shoot it and break it in.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 3:19:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 3:57:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, what the other guys said.  Just shoot it.  If it makes you feel better, after you let the slide go hit the forward assist a time or two just to make sure things are locked up.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#4]
With the weapon open like a shotgun try this procedure from Tweak's truobleshooting checklist:

[b]-Check that the bolt carrier moves easily from the locked position to the recoil position by moving it with your finger, not with the charging handle.[/b]

I would highly recommend that you give your rifle the once over using the troubleshooting checklists outlined in the topic titled "List rules" above.  It is very helpful and could indentify any issues your rifle may have.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The check above and the "30 degree drop check" outlined in the checklist will tell you if there is a problem. The bolt should close and lock per the spec but... Sometimes it is just rough parts that will wear in with shooting. Sometimes it's a misaligned gas tube.

You've been given good advice so far. Continue to shoot it, keep and eye on it and don't worry, short of something going horribly sideways, ARs can't fire if the bolt is unlocked.

Bradd_D,

Thanks for the compliment.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bradd_D,

Thanks for the compliment.
View Quote

No problem, dude!  Thank you for all the wisdom and experience you share in this forum.  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Be sure to lube the bolt and carrier properly. Break Free is a good choice if you don't have a favorite. Then just shoot it. Tight parts are normal when new.

Link Posted: 11/7/2003 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sure they can if certain things are done wrong or go wrong.
View Quote

j3_,
Go back and reread my post.[V] Do you see the "short of something going horribly sideways" part there now?
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#9]
[b]Tweak[/b]...check your email please.  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Got it, I apologize for not being able to help further.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#11]
[b] Stop riding the charging handle[/b]

=)
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the advice.  I quit riding the charging handle, and took my AR out and shot it.  It performed flawlessly!  I can't wait to get back out with it! Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I was making the same mistake, sort of.  Same issue, but mine was caused because I apparently am in the habit of checking for a live round in the chamber compulsively.  Pull back the charging handle slightly, confirm hot, then release.  

HOWEVER, sometimes even after bumping the FA a couple of times to ensure full lock, I will still get a light strike or no strike.  At that point, I have to unload and dry fire a couple times...  Is this another case of, "Shoot it and shut up"?  TIA.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top