Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2003 3:23:48 PM EDT
I got this new Bushmaster rifle, 20" A2, for x-mass last year and the few times I have been to the range with it I have had some FTF problems, most notably today when I was at the range.

Here is the scenario.

Technical-

Ammo: Black Hills GR FMJ

Magazines: USGI (OKAY and Adventureline, black followers)

Ok, so I load the magazine, insert in rifle, tap the bottom of the magazine to make sure it is fully seated, pull back charging handle and let it go. I then , *click*. After looking into the ejection port I observe that the round is partially in the chamber and also under the bolt, resulting in two dents in the brass case of the round. Clear malfunction and fire rest of magazine with no problems.

I thought that this was an isolated incident but on the next magazine (different one) I had two of the same problems resulting in the same situation with the same dents in the ammo.

It seems to me that the bolt is maybe going over the round but then picking it up when the bolt is half way closed resulting in said malfunction and dents.

Or, it could be that the bolt is picking the round up right away but then slipping off the case and again causing said malfunction.

What do you guys think? I am stumped on this one.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Wipeout,

When you pull the bolt to the rear with the charging handle does the face of the bolt come behind the rear of the bolt stop?
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wipeout,

When you pull the bolt to the rear with the charging handle does the face of the bolt come behind the rear of the bolt stop?
View Quote

Whats the bolt stop?  I am not firmiliar with this.

Sorry if thats a dumb question.

Edit:

Never mind, I figured out what you were asking.

Yes, the face of the bolt does come behind the bold stop.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I then , *click*.
View Quote

So when you load the rifle it fails to feed and when you pull the trigger the hammer goes forward?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I then , *click*.
View Quote

So when you load the rifle it fails to feed and when you pull the trigger the hammer goes forward?
View Quote

Sorry, that was bad wording on my part. No, the hammer does not fall.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Does the bolt lock back when the last round is fired out of the magazine?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does the bolt lock back when the last round is fired out of the magazine?
View Quote

Yep, the bolt is locking back on the last round of each magazine.

I am very confused about why my rifle is having these FTF's and I'm almost 100% sure the rifle is not short stroking, so I am stumpped.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#7]
BTT
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#8]
If your rifle will lock open on the last shot, it is not short stroking, and the bolt has enough travel to operate.

Try this, lock the bolt back manually.  Put one round in a mag, insert in magwell and hit the bolt release.  Does it chamber?

If so, try a halg full mag, just try to chamber one round,  If it works, try a full mag.

You aren't using an "extra power" mag spring by any chance?  Those sometimes put too much force on the first round in a full mag.

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#9]
No, I am not using any extra power springs, regular GI springs.

I will try the manual releasing thing tomorrow. and see if that will cause any problems.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:20:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Make sure you hit the back of your magazine against the heal of your hand, or your thigh after loading with rounds, and before inserting in the rifle.

This is to ensure the rounds are fully to the rear and moving freely in the magazine, vs. hanging up in the front or the back of the magazine.

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top