Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2003 12:32:34 PM EDT
I read another post and it said that the bolt carry should slide all the way down on the gas tube with easy,without the bolt in it, mine will if you drop it from all the way up but if you try to just slide it down over it it sticks and is stiff;it is a new key, is this o.k. and if it isn't what do I need to do? Thanks Autogunner.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Take the upper off the lower and turn the upper so the bottom side is up. Slide the carrier slowly into the upper. Watch the gas tube. Does the gas tube move when the key starts onto it?
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
No it does not move as far as I can tell,I cleaned my chamber with a chamber brush hooked to a drill"never done this before but I wanted to make sure I get it as clean as pos." I used clp on the chamber and the end of the gas tube after cleaning the key goes on the tube a little easier still a little snug though.Thanks for all of your help Tweak in all of my post. Thanks Autogunner.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you feel any resistance as the key slides onto the tube? Did you mic the ID of the gas tube end and the ID of the carrier key before installing them?

Reassemble the carrier ass'y and perfom the following.

Hold barrel at 40 degree angle, muzzle down. Pull the charging handle to the rear. Hold bolt carrier to the rear and push charging handle forward until it latches. Release bolt carrier ass'y. Carrier ass'y should close and lock under its own weight.

Did it pass?
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:55:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Take the bolt off the carrier when you do this.

Take the upper off the lower and turn the upper so the bottom side is up. Slide the carrier slowly into the upper. Watch the gas tube. Does the gas tube move when the key starts onto it?
View Quote

...and you can feel when the key makes contact with the gas tube.

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
HeavyMetal,

If the bolt is "on" the carrier then it is a bolt carrier assembly. I told autogunner to slide the [b]carrier[/b] into the upper. In his first post [b]he[/b] said "without the bolt in it", so even he knows the drill. If the bolt is "in" the carrier you lose sight of the gas tube before the carrier even gets close.

If you are so intent on helping please find posts where the information is incorrect to begin with.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top