Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2003 4:50:25 PM EDT
I bought a brand new Rockriver Entry Tactical and wanted to install a Picatinny forearm. Unfortunately I didn't read the forums here first and made the mistake of using a barrel vise and a three prong barrel nut wrench. Needless to say, I ended up ruining the Parkerizing on the barrel, stripped teeth off the barrel nut and still didn't get the nut off. Finally I decide to read through the forums here. I learned that I should have used a receiver block instead of a barrel vise and a fully pronged nut wrench. I also read that you should place the upper and barrel in the freezer over night and give it a try in the morning. Well, since I couldn't get a hold of the right tools for a couple weeks, I decided to give the freezer a try. After all, I already screwed up the nut. So this morning I took the barrel out of the freezer and place it in the barrel vise. Aligned the three prong wrench and gave it a good whack. And that's all it took, one whack and then I could spin the nut off with my fingers. Yes I understand I should still get a receiver block and full prong wrench, and I will. But it's nice to know you can rely on the freezer when you're in a jam. Just thought I'd shared the experience. Dave C.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top