Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2003 4:08:21 AM EDT
Since I have owned it (about 9 months, and with all original parts), my DPMS Classic 20" A2 HBAR has thrown brass about 10 feet to about 4 o'clock. It makes no difference if I use Fed Am Eagle .223 or UMC .223 or Fed 5.56 XM-193.

In contrast, my son's Oly A2 20" HBAR throws brass more like a well-timed & well-lubed M-1 Garand ... about 3 feet to 2 o'clock.

Is there a "normal" ejection characteristic for an AR-15? If so, what is it, and if it's not what mine or his is doing, what might be the cause?
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Each barrel length and ammo has a different velocity and ejection pattern.

To answer your question I don't know. I have been shooting AR's for over 20 years, have 8 or more of them but never watched where the brass goes - as long as it goes out of the chamber making room for the next round it's good for me.

I pay more attention to where the lead goes than the brass.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 12:07:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Around 4:00 is normal, IIRC (for normal rifles, 16-20"). The further forward it lauches brass, the more worn out the extractor and/or ejector springs are. I can't remember, though, but it's something along those lines. Perhaps someone else will nail it down.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to [url]www.armalite.com[/url] and on the left, click the Tech Notes.  Read Tech Note 34.  Though it is mostly about the AR-10 it states "These ejection patterns are common to all AR-15/M16 pattern rifles."  This should give some inside into your observations.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, A_Free_Man, great info, just what I need to know.

Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I see this a lot on the range.  On the range I instruct at the same M16s are used day after day for training.  When we see rounds being ejected between the 1 and 2 o'clock position, we take a close look at the extractor and ejector springs.  Many times we end up replacing them.  What you are describing sounds perfect.  The more you shoot your AR, the more you should see the rounds flying forward instead of back.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#6]
My ejected brass always seem to gravitate towards Grant.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting...I just shot my brand new AR-15 the other day and noticed the brass laying in a nice pile at about 2 o'clock. 16 inch M4gery never missed a beat.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top