Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2003 7:59:08 AM EDT
I am having trouble with my bolt catching on an empty mag and staying open.  Then when I release the mag or sometimes when I jam a mag in or maybe extend or collapse the stock, the bolt releases and closes.  Sometimes it fails to let a round up and off the mag and simply closes over the round.  Any suggestions?

The other problem is with upper and lower play, rattling, noise, etc.  I could only assume that this leaves a great deal to be desired in the area of accuracy?   I know there is a product called the accu=wedge, but is there anything more rigid?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, your rifle must be a Pre-ban/LEO, because if you installed a telescoping stock on a post ban Car, you will in violation of the assault rifle ban.

As for you bolt catch, you need to check to make sure that is can move freely and will move the full range up.   Then check the tab on the catch that catches the mag follower, with a empty mag loaded into the shotgun opened rifle, the catch tab may be a tad too long and is sticking/binding (should be a gap between the follower shelf and up right portion of the shelve).  This will resolve the bolt over feeding problem is the catch tab is holding the back/rim of the top round down.  

As for the catch disengaging during a hard impact, it’s normal.  The only thing that is holding the bolt catch up with the empty mag out of the rifle is surface tension.  The impact allows the bolt/catch to loose the surface tension, and the catch drops back down due to the return spring.   Also, the mag spring is stronger (leverage) than the catch spring so as the mag goes dry, the follower cams up the bolt catch and it catches the bolt.
If you just inserted a loaded mag into the rifle with the bolt lock back, you would not have to touch the bolt release lever to charge the weapon,. A sharp blow to the butt stock will allow the bolt to slightly jump back/off the catch, and the catch lever would fall; charging the weapon.

For you loose upper/lower, the Accuwedge is the fastest/easiest device to solve the problem, but there is another pin that replaces the rear take down pin and wedges the two together.  The only problem with the pin is it uses a screwdriver to tighten the screw, so if you need to shotgun the rifle open, you will need to use a screwdriver to remove the pin, instead of just pushing the stock rear take down pin out of the way/over.

[url] http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/artp.asp[/url]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top