Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/12/2003 4:34:28 PM EDT
Showed up at a match today with my 14.5" upper on my lower off of my BM 20". That lower has a match trigger in it and is all BM other than the trigger and hammer. Had five malfunctions in 40 rounds fired. Empty case is stove piped with a round trying to chamber wedged under it. Bitch to clear. That same upper runs fine on its usual lower that has a Colt A1 stock, buffer, tube and spring. So what's the difference in full length buffers and springs? I don't have a scale to accurately weigh them.

The extractor and ejector look and move fine.

Help!
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you check the carrier key . Maybe it's loose.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#2]
BTW . The buffer tube and spring length wouldn't be the problem. The type stock you us  dictates what buffer tube and spring length you need. The shorter stocks us the shorter springs and buffer.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Carrier key is tight. Everything looks OK. Several guys who saw it said they had the same malf in their shorty full-autos. They said it's related to carrier speed. That's why I'm blaming the buffer and spring.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Extractor is dropping the case on the way back, leaving the spend case in the action when the car upper is used on the A-2 lower.

Change out the extractor spring to a M-4 (black inset) or an extra power Wolff spring.   If you just want a temp fix, install a D-fender.  The problem will go away when using this combo.

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#5]
IB,

Put the upper back on its original lower and shoot it again with the same ammo. Report back.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 5:42:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Took everything apart yesterday. There is no real difference in the buffers and springs. The only thing I did find was some brass shavings in the ejector hole. Maybe the ejector was being a little sticky. Won't get to shoot it again for two weeks.

Black insert is present in the extractor spring. I'm going to order some of the Wolff extractor spring to add as well.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top