Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/24/2003 12:29:46 PM EDT
Recently I've noticed when I chamber a live round and eject the round unfired there is a small dent in the center of the primer.  It makes no difference wether I chamber the round by charging the rifle, or the round is chambered while shooting the rifle.

Is this normal?

I never noticed this until recently.

The rifle is a Pre-ban Pwa with a 16 inch bushmaster upper, and a real telestock.

It has about 8000 rounds through the current setup.

I haven't cleaned the gun for about 2000 rounds now, the gun has never malfunctioned.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, its normal.

The firing pin is inertial and not held back by a spring. So everytime the carrier moves forward the firing pin dings the primer. It's a good reason to be muzzle conscious.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I was getting kinda worried when I noticed the dents.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#3]
has anyone tried the titanium firing pins to see if they dent primers?  i've heard that since they are supposidly lighter they dont have enough inertia until they're struck by the hammer
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#4]
From what others have posted, titanium firing pins aren't really recommended for ARs. Apparently, they have a higher tendency to puncture the primer, the escaping, pressurized cases destroy the titanium pins requiring replacment.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks...glad i asked
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top