Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/2/2003 4:16:23 PM EDT
Sent the upper back due to a rough chamber and had it polished.  According to DPMS (email today) the chamber is 5.56 even though the barrel is marked .223 and "is fine to fire with surplus ammo".

I fire appx. 10-15 rounds mil. surplus, then either the bolt fails to pick up the next round or the fired brass is half-way out of the chamber and the bolt half-way open.  

I'm stumped.  After the first 10-15 rounds, it becomes a single-shot.  

Suggestions (other than getting rid of it, which I may do anyway).

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#1]
saw another AR doing this.  it sounds like it could be a gas problem - port not clear w/ some burr blocking it, possibly.  that would take removing the front sight and de-burring it, preferably done by a competent AR smith.  another thing would be to check the carrier key on top of the bolt carrier.  mine worked loose and dinged up the end of the gas tube one shooting session.  never had a problem til then.  also check to insure you have a good lubed carrier and bolt.  running one dry in the upper can mess up the feeding as it doesn't always cycle back smoothly and all the way - shortstroking.    
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you're losing gas somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#3]
My DPMS was doing the same thing. It would shoot, then the bolt would only go back about half way through the ejection port and stop. I had Dano polish my chamber and now it ejects everytime. I have other problems with it not jacking in a new round but that is a whole different story.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#4]
You guys checked to see that your gas key on your bolt carrier is locked down tight?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, the key is staked and tight. There is no gas leak either. Mine was a rough chamber which cause the shell to stick after expanding from firing. Dano who posts here polished that baby like a mirror. He knows his AR's. Mine jamming up on the forward cycle is due to hammer issues it sounds like.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help.  I'll try once more with it and see if polishing the chamber helps, it seems to shoot fine when clean, then after 10-15 rounds, when deposits start building up, the problems start.  There appears to be carbon on the gas tube just behind the front sight under the handguard for about 1".
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Had the same problem with my j&t kit, they told me to clean it with a chamber brush, I attacked the thing over a period of 3 days until my arms hurt with a chamber brush and still no luck, sent it back yesterday.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top