Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/30/2003 2:12:25 AM EDT
I am having difficulty with the bolt catch on my AR 15. Not only will the bolt not lock back when a magazine is inserted, the lower part of the bolt catch that you use to manually lock the bolt will not budge. I have cleaned it and that has loosened it up some but it still sticks after letting the bolt close. How difficult is it to replace the bolt catch? I am not too mechanically inclined. If I decide to take it somewhere any idea how much it would cost?
              Thanks
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:43:02 AM EDT
[#1]
To replace one is really not hard at all. If you can hammer a nail in the wall, you can replace a Bolt Catch in an AR15.

What you need:
Hammer
Punch (Find the right size)

I put cardboard under where U hammer so I dont scratch up the lower when I hammer the punch.

All you do is knock out the pin and the catch will come out.

It sounds like you may have some clogging the area where the spring in under the catch.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:21:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your reply. I was looking at the AR 15 Tactical Bolt Release made by DPMS at Brownell's website. Would that contain everything I need to switch it out, springs etc.? All I would do is to knock out the roll pin drop in the new bolt catch and I'm off?
              Thanks  
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Just to add, sometimes the receiver slot needs to be opened up a bit to allow the catch to move freely.  I use a small jewelers file and just take a few strokes on one of the bearing sides to widen the slot.  

Also, check the spring/detent hole in the receiver; sometimes it can be packed with milling flakes that will just pick right out with a dental tool.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks for your reply. I was looking at the AR 15 Tactical Bolt Release made by DPMS at Brownell's website. Would that contain everything I need to switch it out, springs etc.? All I would do is to knock out the roll pin drop in the new bolt catch and I'm off?
              Thanks  
View Quote

I doubt it comes with the spring, detent and pin. All there is to it is a roll pin that you need to tap out with a small punch. Then remove the bolt catch. Then underneath it is a hole which has a detent followed by a spring. You drop in a new spring, drop in the detent, line up the new bolt catch and tap the roll pin home, it is that simple. I would just put a piece of masking tape along the receiver and use a rubber mallet with a drift punch to tap out the roll pin. That way you won't scuff up you receiver.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:24:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks again for the info. Does anyone remember the size of punch it takes to get that roll pin out? Pretty easy to get at a hardware store? Next I'll be asking someone to pick it up for me. :) I have a 4 year old girl whom I seldom get away from and two places she definitely does not like to hang out is the gun shop or hardware store.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top