Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2003 8:29:01 PM EDT
I have an post ban AR15 A2 which i built from a Model 1 Sales parts kits on an DPMS lower receiver and ever since the first time shot the rifle at the range it seem like my rifle had to much kick to it. I even replaced the Model 1 Sales buffer and buffer spring with an DPMS buffer and buffer spring and the rifle still seems like it has to much kick when it's fired. Me and a friend were down at the range with my AR15, with the DPMS buffer and buffer spring installed and after my friend fired about 60 rounds thru my rifle he had to take a BDU jacket and ball it up and placed the jacket between his shoulder and the buttstock of the rifle because of the rifle's kick, the way we were shooting was i would shot a 30 round mag and then he would shot a 30 round mag and so on.

I dont know what could be cause this to happen, i've tried everything i can think of that would fix the problem and i havent had any luck. Thanks  
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
i can think of that would fix the problem and i havent had any luck. Thanks  
View Quote
Grow up and come back when your 15 or so. [slap]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#2]
the buffer really doesnt have anything to do with the kick other than smoothing it out.  It's the caliber of the round that is the main contributor.   I took my 13 year old brother out to shoot my ar15 today, its still f'd up but he fired about 10 shots no problemo.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#3]
"AR15" and "Kick" are two words that do not belong in the same sentence.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#4]
It only kicks if you're 11 years old or younger!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
after my friend fired about 60 rounds thru my rifle he had to take a BDU jacket and ball it up and placed the jacket between his shoulder and the buttstock of the rifle because of the rifle's kick,
View Quote

I just loved the BDU part,nothing like being a man and taken that beating, even if he had to use a BDU as a pad to keep on going.

Maybe I should try the BDU trick when I shoot my Ruger 10/22. You know after the second mag, my shoulder gets so sore I have to hold it against someone else arm to keep from flinching.  

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:20:23 AM EDT
[#6]
All the smartass remarks aside, I would focus on your shooting position.  There is no reason to have to pad your shoulder when shooting an AR-15.  The worst I have had is after three or more days of match shooting, the tip of my nose gets very tender (from using the "nose to the charging handle" stock weld).

It sounds like you guys are not mounting the rifle properly in the pocket of your shoulder or are not snugging it up properly.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#7]
It sounds like you have a barrel with severe gas port eroision.When this happens the rate of fire goes up, this means the moving parts are moving  to the  rear much faster and hit in the rear harder.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Must be shooting, heavy bullets.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I have your solution.  Hold the rifle by the pistol grip and fore guard only.  Then your shoulder won't feel the kick.

The point everyone is trying to make is that there is no kick on an AR worth mentioning. I have pellet guns with more kick.

btw guys, my 12 year old shoots a 8mm Mauser and he first shot it at 11 so you better lower that age a bit to say around 6.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I think a few mags of MkVIIz from a nice No5 SMLE will reset the "Kick-o-meter"..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
...If the rifle is operating correctly, the recoil damper will never hit the bottom of the recoil tube.  Some 'hot' rounds will cause the damper to hit the bottom and you notice it in your shoulder....

Fred
View Quote

From another thread at:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=162136[/url]

Implies to me that if something is wrong with your spring, your buffer could be bottoming out and might be causing what you're feeling.

Or it could be that you're a wimp..... (sorry, had to throw that in or risk being viewed as not in the spirit of things....... hoooo boy)

:)
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Why arent you using what a Pistol Gripped AR15 was made for?
Shooting from the hip!

[rofl]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#13]
If the gas port hole in the barrel is too large, the kick will be very noticable.  The recoil is driven much like a piston in a cylinder bore.  The pulse (pressure * volume) launches the bolt carrier rearward.  To test if the recoil damper is hitting the bottom of the recoil tube, put a bit of clay on the end of the rubber end of the recoil damper.  If it becomes squished out then you know the damper is hitting the bottom.  I would guess the only option to fix it would be to use one of the adjustable gas regulator modifications or change out the barrel.  One other patch would be to fill the bleed hole in the butt stock screw so that to will not exhaust air during the recoil cycle.  However, it will not make much of a difference unless you also add a sleeve on the inner diameter of the spring.  That is getting too complicated for sure if you do not have access to machine tools, but is what I do as part of measuring when the full recoil position occurs.  In my experiments I found that the recoil damper generally nevers gets closer than 0.100" to the bottom of the recoil tube in a correctly functioning rifle.

Fred
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#14]
My 14.5" rifle was beating the hell out of me. I had only fired 20" rifles previously, so I thought this was normal for a short, light rifle. Turns out, the gas port was WAY too big and was causing the heavy recoil. It also was allowing the carrier to bounce off of the bolt stop and not hold the bolt open after the last round.

I installed Fulton Armory's [url=www.fulton-armory.com/AGT.htm]Adjustable Gas Tube[/url] and now it feels and functions the way it should.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#15]
So it seems gas port being too open is the culprit... of course it's nice of all of the people who were providing no useful input to guess it was user error...

Why not just ask what age/build the shooters were, and then comment on kick.  If poster actually replied and said decent, then we would know it was a tech issue, not user error... but instead, a bunch of lame posts... accept the ones saying similar problem or suggesting what it could be... right on guys!

Of course, I agree... I've never had an AR that kicked too much...  maybe an AR50... but haven't had one of those... yet.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Or, I could be that when he changed the buffer and spring, he shoved a Car buffer into a full lenght tube and the carrier key is beating the hell out of his back of his receiver, and the impact/kick is from his receiver being distroyed!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:11:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Det

Click this
[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/buffers/[/url]
Go there and tell us which buffer your rifle has in it plz.

Remember, short spring, short buffer, short receiver extension. Long spring, long buffer, long receiver extension.

Also, while you have your buffer out check the back end of it and, comparing it to the piccies on the BH page, make sure it isn't damaged.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:13:49 AM EDT
[#18]
thesacrifice,

If you're near to me (98557) then gimme a shout and I'll check out your rifle for you.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Too large gas port can cause this problem.  Cheap fix is a stronger buffer spring.  Wolff has one, [url]www.gunsprings.com[/url].

[url]http://www.gunsprings.com/RifleShotgun/Colt_RsNF.html#AR[/url]

Had one CAR that would severely bruise my shoulder.  The Wolff spring fixed it.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top