Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2003 4:40:12 PM EDT
I clean my gun after every shoot and make sure to lube everything correctly. But towards the end of my shoot today, the 2 stage trigger was not returning after the first pull. When I first got the gun (Bushmaster 25th anny) it would return after the halfway pull. I don't wanna take it apart yet unless it is really required.

Is there any thing I can do to fix this? Or is it safe to continue firing like this.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the history of the two stage Bushmaster trigger and why it is such a POS. I had one in a new CMP BM Rifle and had the same problem. After losing many points in competition, I sold the trigger for the cost of the Service Grade parts in it and installed a two stage Jewell. If you want to continue to play with your trigger, the only thing that made mine work correctly was using the expensive "NECO Moly-Slide Paste" that Bushmaster sells for several dollars (plus shipping). The tube has approx one ounce of paste but you only use a small amount at the contact point of the hammer and sear. You'll know when it needs more because the problem comes back. The BM trigger is a copy of the Compass Lake trigger which is also a POS. OH, another problem when I first got this trigger. The hammer spring was too weak to reliably fire G.I. M-193 55 gr ammo. I replaced the hammer spring with a G.I. spring and got reliable ignition but then got the no-return from first stage takeup that you are getting.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the same problem and the instructions with mine told which screw to turn. I think it was about 1/12  turn and it has been fine since. I use Brownells action lube on mine.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought my Bush second-hand, so I have never seen the instructions for my POS 2-stage. Will Bush send them to me? (These q's always come up on the weekend when I can't call) Or is there a place online I can see these instructions?

Mt heart is set on a Knight's Armament trigger, but my funds are low since Trijicon got a piece of me last week. I'd like to f around with this trigger a little, just for the learning experience, before I inevitably fork over the cash to Knight's.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:53:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I was having problems with the Bushmaster 2 stage, finally got them worked out and it feels and works as good as any trigger I've tried.

What worked for me was the following:

1.  Polished the surfaces according to A Free Man - I don't have the link, but IM me and I will send you a copy I downloaded, along with other info.

NOTE:  his procedure for removing the safety will not work on the Bushmaster 2-stage trigger until the spring screw is removed!  Also, removing this is not absolutely necessary so unless you want to readjust the second stage, leave it in.  No big deal either way.

2.  Took it apart and cleaned everything as instructed by A Free Man

3.  Applied some new moly grease into the hammer slot.

4.  Reassembled allowing one leg of the hammer spring to go below the trigger pin, to ease tension a tad.

I was at the gunshow this weekend and tried various 2 stage triggers, RR, Armalite, etc.  Mine felt better than any of them.  I would say some of the designs are better than Bushmaster's, but it works great.  Shot 50 rounds last night and no problems or relapse.

A BIG THANKS TO AFREEMAN!  You know your stuff and I learned a lot!  
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top