Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2003 5:31:32 PM EDT
First stage is creepy, not at all light, and not at all consistent. After spending $119.00 plus $13.50 for shipping, I would expect more! Not the world but more. Besides the obvious any suggestions? Wise guys need not reply.
2nd idea; Anybody know any good deals for Jewell Triggers?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:47:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you called Bushy ???? I have a DCM Bushy that had some trigger issues and with one call to them I had it re-adjusted and it has been fine ever since. The tech staff was very helpful.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I found that with my bench grinder, drill press and saws-all I was able to get my Bushmaster competition trigger just right.  Welding the receiver back together and refinishing the receiver was a little troublesome, but the results were worth it.  However, it seems to me that installing a trigger shouldn't be that much trouble.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you, I did call they were very nice but busy and asked if I would call back week-days and talk to Jim the Head gunsmith. I will this coming week
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:41:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for your insight, I did fail to mention I had help from a very good friend, he is a well-accomplished shooter and like yourself has installed more than one comp trigger into different AR-15’s he has owned along the way. Unfortunately, due to a recent accident at the arsenal, his help was slightly impaired. However before we started he did assured me at the patch over his good eye will be coming off soon and although his arm is still very numb, movement from being in a cast was near 63% of his original movement. Never the less he felt it would not have much impediment on his use of a good sharp coal chisel and hammer.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#5]
i too just had the same problem and talked to the head gunsmith.  i just assembled a new bushy.  everything worked well except the trigger didn't want to return from the second stage.  i was told to screw in the spring plunger til it did.  well then the hammer wouldn't fall.  so i split the difference and i've got a creepy 1st stage.  the weapon has yet top be fired what w/ all the severe weather we've been experiencing.  but i hope to get out there tommorrow and fire up 300-400 rounds to breakin the barrel.  if that trigger is still as bad as it is now they'll get it back.  hopefully cycling it will break in the hammer spring which from what i unbderstand can be the culprit if it's too tight.  let you know how it goes.  rick
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
First stage is creepy, not at all light, and not at all consistent. After spending $119.00 plus $13.50 for shipping, I would expect more! Not the world but more. Besides the obvious any suggestions? Wise guys need not reply.
2nd idea; Anybody know any good deals for Jewell Triggers?
View Quote

Sounds about like my experience. I also wasn't happy that 4.5 pounds is as light as I could go. You can talk to Bushmaster; I'm sure they'll help you out. As for me, I got a Jewell from Tommy at Georgia Precision, about $175 delivered. First rate service, and the lowest price in the US on Jewell AR triggers. He has a thread on the Equipment Exchange for it. Love my Jewell.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you I hope it goes well for you, I am supprized that we should have these problems, and I am sure there are more problems like this out there. Please Keep me posted and I will do the same
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you I will give Bushmaster a chance to make good on there end but if it does not work out I will send it back to them and I am expecting a full refund, What a shame there AR-15 is such a great piece of equipment except for this problem!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I did talk to head gunsmith very nice man, but I could not make the adjustments that would be worth the money. I returned the everything what a shame! I did get full refund. NOTE make sure you return before 14 days go by or you will be charged 20%
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I just emailed BM on the same issue, then decided to check here and found the thread.

When I bought my Varmint Special, I chose from several and picked the one with the best trigger.  1st stage was glassy and 2nd felt just right.

After about 40 rounds, I lost the 2nd stage.  It was a cold day.  By the time I got home with it and it was warmed up, the 2nd stage was back.

I adjusted it anyway, ended up with a gritty 1st stage.  

Then I saw that the installation instructions talked about 1/20th of a turn, I had gone 1/4 turn.  I've backed it out a touch at a time, each time I've cleaned it, with no improvement to the 1st stage feel.  I did as the installation instructions said (back out until 2nd stage is lost, then clockwise 1/20th of a turn), but still have a gritty and inconsistent 1st stage.  

just got their answer:  they hadn't heard of cold weather affecting the 2nd stage.  No advice other than saying they have the Neco grease for sale.  

Since the trigger felt great to begin with, and the only change other than adjustment has been to clean and lubricate with the wrong stuff, the grease is probably going to be the cure.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I sent back my comp. trigger for a refund, and re-installed the orig. standard trigger with a little neco moly-slide past. Although the first stage is a little gritty and the second stage is about 4 - 5 pounds it works and feels better than the comp trugger. I guess I will live with it for now and see how it is after a few thousand rounds.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#12]
i put one of jp enterprises single stage trigger and their speed hammer, with 4lb hammer spring in mine.  wow!!!! what a difference.
www.jprifles.com
mcole
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When I bought my Varmint Special, I chose from several and picked the one with the best trigger.  1st stage was glassy and 2nd felt just right.

After about 40 rounds, I lost the 2nd stage.  It was a cold day.  By the time I got home with it and it was warmed up, the 2nd stage was back.

I adjusted it anyway, ended up with a gritty 1st stage.  
View Quote

Last night I disassembled the lower, polished the engaging surfaces lightly, reassembled with some moly grease and readjusted.  Still not perfect, but is very good and I'll live with it.  

Most likely, the cold weather affected my finger, not the trigger.  Then when "the gun warmed up" the second stage "was back".  It's hard to feel that second stage with cold hands.

Most likely, the gritty feel was due to my cleaning the lower and re-lubricating with gun oil.  

It's still not perfect, I don't see how two smooth surfaces can feel so gritty rubbing together, but they do.

I'll get some springs this weekend at the big gun show and try lightening the hammer spring a tad, that should help.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Yesterday I went to the range, I have sent back the comp trigger and am now using the standard stock bussy trigger, (gritty first stage heavy but great second stage) from the bench I was pleased with average 1.2 -  1.75 inch 5 shot groups had a few 4 shot group cluster at 1/2 inch. I was very happy BUT!! I ordered the video from AGI how to do trigger job on AR15. I will just fix it myself. If I muck it up I will just get an old trigger from a friend that replace standard with Jewel triger. Thanks for you note, I will keep you posted!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Yesterday I went to the range, I have sent back the comp trigger and am now using the standard stock bussy trigger, (gritty first stage heavy but great second stage) from the bench I was pleased with average 1.2 -  1.75 inch 5 shot groups had a few 4 shot group cluster at 1/2 inch. I was very happy BUT!! I ordered the video from AGI how to do trigger job on AR15. I will just fix it myself. If I muck it up I will just get an old trigger from a friend that replace standard with Jewel triger. Thanks for you note, I will keep you posted!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:32:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Friday my moly grease arrived, inspiring me to proceed with more work.

I polished the first stage according to A Free Man, that is, put some polishing compound on the hammer engagement surface and cocked and clicked it about 20 times, with a rubber pad for the hammer to hit against.  Took it all apart and cleaned it, applied moly grease, oiled where applicable.  

ALSO, when I put the hammer back in, I put one leg of the spring below the trigger pin to reduce tension just a small amount.

Now it feels positively wonderful.  I ran about 50 rounds through it last night, it worked perfectly and the glassy first stage was consistent and didn't revert back to gritty this time.

NOTE:  all my posts are about the stock Bushmaster 2-stage trigger.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top