Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/26/2002 7:38:05 AM EDT
I have a complete Bushmaster Dissipator.  The bolt always strips the top round and feeds it into the chamber just fine.  But, sometimes the bolt will not seat and the FA does not help.  If I remove the magazine and recharge it will seat.

It seems like the bolt carrier is being pushed up by the next round and holding it out of alignment.

What is the solution?
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:00:11 AM EDT
[#1]
What ammo are you using? Reloads?
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#2]
No.

South African, Federal Lake City, Federal Ballistic Tip

different mags too
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you assemble the lower?
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Nope.  Bought it completely assembled.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
btt
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have the same problem with different mags?  I had the same issue with new Thermolds. After sanding the flash from the top of the mag, they fed fine.  If it's all mags, whoops, you need someone more experienced than me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Try this:   Strip the mag out of the rifle, then check to make sure that the rifle is unloaded.

Pull back on the cocking handle, then slowly ride the handle forward.  Once the bolt has went as far as it can go with the handle, then use the FA to close the bolt the rest of the way.  If it will not close, the re-test, but this time hold the trigger down.

If it closes, then your problem may be with the hammer binding up on the firing pin.  We have been seeing a lot of problems to this effect.

Or, if all else fails, give Bushmaster a call and have them issue a call tag to send the rifle back to be fixed.

Dano
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:09:41 AM EDT
[#8]
The bolt seats just fine when empty or when I load a single into the chamber without a mag in the well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok now check the mag release button. Look at the screw in the middle, if it is below flush tighten it up enough to bring it to flush. Try it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#10]
m193,

If you having problems with the very last of the bolt entry, with the mag pressure pressing up on the carrier/bolt only, then the only thing that can be binding is the bolt to lug entry, or the key to gas tube entry.

Since the bolt to lugs should not be a problem,  I would check the gas tube for alignment with the key.  You may have bent the gas tube while cleaning, and the tube is out of alignment.

I should note that the chamber should have been checked for head space, and the chamber should have been cleaned to remove any build up at the last chamber neck cut.  Sometimes a tight, dirty chamber can cause this problem, due to binding at the neck of the case.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:53:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll check the gas tube and report back.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:16:19 AM EDT
[#12]
OK, I found the problem.  No bent gas tube.

The extractor is hitting the end of the cartridge and not sliding past it to lock.  Apparently the bolt is too far left.  Pushing the forward assist only pushes the bolt carrier farther left.  I also have a lot of little crescent shaped pieces of brass where the extractor scrapes it off of the case when it does seat.

Is this something that I can remedy or do I send it to Bushmaster?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:37:50 AM EDT
[#13]
You can send it back to Bushmaster or you can remove bolt assembly and remove extractor assembly and clean debris from around and in it. Don't forget to apply plenty CLP when finished
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top