Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2002 3:49:38 PM EDT
I RECNETLY FOUND A MARINE ISSUE M-4A1 AT A GUN SHOW THE MAGWELL SAYS; LAW  FNFORCEMENT / GOVERMENT USE ONLY. THE GUY WANTS $2000 FOR IT AND SAID IT IS COMPLETELY LEGAL TO PURCHASE, THESELECTOR SWITCH SAYS;  SAFE/SEMI,  NO AUTO OR 3-SHOT BUTST. HE ALSO SAID IT IS A "DECOMISSIONED MILITARY WEAPON".

IS HE WRONG OR IS IT LEGAL TO PURCHASE? CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS,  THANX
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#1]
It's perfectly legal for you to buy a pre-ban configured weapon with LEO/Gov markings as long as you are a LEO with departmental letterhead in hand.

If you aren't you shouldn't buy the rifle, especuially since the sellar is completely full of excrement regarding its "DECOMISSIONED MILITARY WEAPON" status.

BTW, last I heard the Marines did get full-auto guns. Even if they do train superior fire discipline into their recruits every now and then ya gotta rock and roll.

Link Posted: 12/24/2002 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Logic fault!

Isn't "decommissioned" when applied to firearms defined as non-functioning--barrel filled, welded, etc?

I'd run away from that one, and/or turn him in--he's obviously selling stolen/missing goods.  Even if it is semi only, I'd still steer clear.

That's all we need, is to give this kind of fuel to the rabid antis.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#3]
madmooses,
Down and dirty, is that it is legal to buy a LEO stamped lower/rifle.  In order to do this the rifle must be made to post-ban configuration, Which requires that the Pre-ban features be removed.

A little information of the M-4.
The upper will have feed ramps that are milled into the upper, with the 14.5" barrel having matching feed ramps lowered to work with the upper.  The upper will be marked M-4 with C M.  The lower will be a Automatic/burst function lower, which would included a telescoping stock.  If the barrel was indeed a 14.5" with a non-welded FS, then the rifle would require a SBR stamp, but would still be LEO only due to it being in pre-ban configuration on a Post-ban receiver. The full auto lower would require a Form 5 to transfer, which is for LEO only.

Point blank, the seller is not selling a M-4, but a clone that is built on a Post-ban LEO lower. The only true M-4 items on the rifle would be the upper receiver, and the barrel with a Brake welded to the barrel to get the barrel 16".  The rest would be clone parts, due to configuration of it being Semi-auto, and a Post ban configuration.
Either he is selling a Post-ban M-4 clone, built on a LEO lower.  Or, is selling the real thing, which would illegal as hell to sell to a civilian buyer, since you can no longer transfer the weapon on a form 4(true m-4's are full auto's), or get the rifle on a SBR tax stamp due to FS not allowed on Post-bans rifles.

Either way, run like hell from the deal.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 11:22:37 PM EDT
[#4]
okay thanx guys i took the serial #L117*** and looked it up at the Bushy site and it is a post ban leo m-4 clone. But you said that it is legal as long as it is setup to post-ban config. Is there any paperwork i need to do w/this gun. Montana doesn't require a permit for AW's.  Should i check the serial # to see if it is clean, and if so how do i do it? Also What does SBR stand for? What does it do for me as a benefit to an ar? thanx alot
                  Mad Mooses
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:04:04 AM EDT
[#5]
hell all the legalities aside 2 grand is a rip-off price.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:38:10 AM EDT
[#6]
DECOMISSIONED millitary weapons are cut into aprox 2" pieces!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:11:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
okay thanx guys i took the serial #L117*** and looked it up at the Bushy site and it is a post ban leo m-4 clone. But you said that it is legal as long as it is setup to post-ban config. Is there any paperwork i need to do w/this gun. Montana doesn't require a permit for AW's.  Should i check the serial # to see if it is clean, and if so how do i do it? Also What does SBR stand for? What does it do for me as a benefit to an ar? thanx alot
                  Mad Mooses
View Quote

Madmooses,

You can get a postban bushmaster a hell of alot cheaper than 2 grand. Hell you can get a preban cheaper than that if you shop around. Chek the equipment exchange forum.

Even though the rifle might be postban and legal for you to own, stay away from it. It has law enforcemtn/military only marked on it. If you get stopped by law enforcment and they check your guns and you are not military or law enforcement, it could make for a very interesting day.

Anyways still shop around.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:37:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
                  Mad Mooses
View Quote

SBR= short barreled rifle.  Any rifle that has a barrel shorter than 16".  The rifle would require a $200 NFA tax stamp to be legal.

As you have stated, the rifle is a bushy clone, on a LEO receiver.  You can get the rifle direct from Bushmaster for $800. If the rifle was owned by the Marine's, the rifle would be marked "U.S. Government Property", not LEO.
This means that the seller is full of shit about the rifles past, and the LEO on the side of the rifle is going to cause you nothing but grief every time the rifle is checked by LEO.
Although it is legal to own, most LEO will only see the markings and will convicted that the rifle is stolen.  

If you still feel the need to buy a LEO stamped lower, RRA sells them for $95, and you can get the rest of the rifle for $500 from Bushmaster.  This combo would cost you $600, and would be a hell of a lot cheaper than the rip off price of $2000.

P.S. The only M-4'S ever issued to the government services(Marine's) is made by Colt only.  They own the M-4 program, so even FN is not allowed to make the rifle for the government.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:42:37 AM EDT
[#9]
With gun dealers like that, they don't even need the Brady Bunch!

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#10]
okay ill stay away from this one i already got 3 other ars, just thought i would be cool to have leo. rra sells leo stamped lower you say, i might check into that. anyways thanx alot guys
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 12:58:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Being issued an M-4A1 in the Army, he is selling you a load of crap. Military issued M-4s are marked "prop of us govt" near the serial number. (some of the very early ones had commercial M-16A2 markings) They are also burst or auto. Anything else is a load of crap.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top