Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2002 2:50:28 PM EDT
Howdy Folks,
 I have some 30 rd GI clips for my AR-15 but when I use them, my gun jams. What is happening is that the rear of the cartridge does not come all the way to the top of the magazine so when the bolt comes forward to chamber a round, it misses the rear of the cartridge. This causes the bolt to catch on the middle of the cartridge pushing it halfway forward on the feedramp causing the gun to jam. Is there a way to fix my magazines so I can use them? They were manufactured by Center Industries in 12/91. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like the follower might be getting tipped.  Have you upgraded to green followers?
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a little tip. Ar15's take magazines not "clips". Thought you should know before the other guys say something[;)]

Welcome to the site[beer]
CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Howdy Folks,
  No I don't have the green followers in the magazines like you are talking about. They have the black followers. Would getting the green ones make a difference? What's the difference between the two? And oh yeah, I meant magazines...hahaha... thanks for keeping me straight there Capitalist! :) Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Sniper,
Does the bolt lock back when the last round is fired out of the magazine?

If you push in on the bottom of the bolt catch and fire your rifle does the bolt lock back?
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Tweak,
 The bolt does lock back when I fire the last round and it will lock back when I hold in the catch at the bottom and fire. I have 3 other magazines that are Thermold manufactured and the gun does not jam up on them. I can see that the magazine is not bringing the rear of the cartridge all the way up to the top like it should on the GI ones I was wondering if putting grease on the sides of the follower would allow it to slide up and down easier. But I definitely think it is a magazine problem. What do ya'll think? Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Disassemble the mag and clean it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I was having jamming problems in my ar's as well with USGI mags.  My Themold and Orlite mags worked fine.  I swapped out all the black followers with the new green followers and that fixed the problem.  They can be found for about $1.00 each.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 2:29:29 AM EDT
[#8]
you may need new springs in the mags also
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Howdy Folks,
  Just replaced the followers in my mags with green ones. Going to test them next weekend. Thanks for all the help!
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Sniper_Guy,
If you find that the green followers alone don't solve the problem, you can pull the springs and give then a stretch.  The springs will not hold the stretch long, but should hold long enough to tell you if they need to be replaced.

I have replaced a few springs on mags that went south with Wolff extra power springs.  Granted that the stronger springs are an overkill, but theses mags are left loaded full for a long period of time.  If you plan on keeping the mags empty, it will save you a few dollars a spring by just ordering the stock replacements.

Hope this helps.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top