Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/22/2002 7:52:35 PM EDT
OK folks, I'm new here and seeing as how the 'help' section is a non-entity, I'm left with bothering y'all.

I've built a few FAL's and other assorted plinkers, but never an AR.  Wow.... these things are a little tricky.

First, I started with a Sherluk (good, bad, ??) upper with a 20" hvy stainless barrel, contract A3 upper, Cr bolt and carrier, bushmaster lower w/dcm 2 stage trigger, and few mags.

Rifle occasionally doesn't clear an empty case from the chamber, but that could also be the ammo... Olympic NATO, just to break in the barrel.  Rounds seem to get stuck in the mag and won't feed into the mechanism of the weapon.  Try different mags?  It happens with the Israeli orlites and a thermold.  Lastly, I have an accu-wedge installed, but there still is some side to side movement at the teardown pins.  Is this bad, or doesn't it matter as the scope and barrel are both on the same plane?  How is this play eliminated??

Some day, after the bugs are worked out, I'm hoping to have a 200+ yd gopher getter!!!

Thanks for the help,

Chris
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Rifle occasionally doesn't clear an empty case from the chamber, but that could also be the ammo... Olympic NATO, just to break in the barrel.  

Try using a little more CLP in the rifle until the rifle breaks in.  The new surfaces(upper) are rough and are causing a bit more binding that needed. once the upper inside and carrier have polished themselves, then back down on how wet you keep the upper.

Rounds seem to get stuck in the mag and won't feed into the mechanism of the weapon.  Try different mags?  It happens with the Israeli orlites and a thermold.

The mags may be the problem, or you may have a bit of binding going on due to the new upper conditions and the buffer binding in the receiver extension(tube). Pull the buffer and spray the tube,buffer, and spring down with a little CLP  and re-install wet.  Again the parts are new and the surfaces will polish themselves out over time.

Lastly, I have an accu-wedge installed, but there still is some side to side movement at the teardown pins.  Is this bad, or doesn't it matter as the scope and barrel are both on the same plane?  How is this play eliminated??

The movement can be solved one of two ways.

1. Remove the standard rear take down pin and replace it with a tension type screw pin.  As the two piece pin is tightened, it wedges it's self to the upper block and receiver sides.  It works, but is a real pain if you need quick access to the FCG.

2. Have the lower mated to the upper.  This is done by using a press to reduce the distance between the ear at the front of the receiver, and to widen the rear block of the upper where it goes into the back of the receiver.

Note: Do not try to use a bench vise to fit the upper to the lower.  All you will do is snap the ears off the receiver.  Send the upper/lower off to a smith to have the two fitted.

As for the movement it's self, it's a matter of taste. Since the scope/sights are on the upper, the movement on the upper to lower will not effect the sight plane.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the pointers!!!  I knew I could count on you guys....

What is CLP though?  If it's a specialty item, where can it be bought?  I'm going to have to learn the acronyms for this place if I'm going to keep posting!! hinking
Thanks again for the help... I'm now feeling better about this project.  (And I'll pick up a Colt 20 rounder to see if that cures the problem.)

Chris
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 6:58:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What is CLP though?

CLP=Clean, Lubricate, Protect.  Used by the military, you can buy it as BreakFree brand CLP.  Good stuff.  Sold by various gun and hunting-type sporting goods stores.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#4]
One thing not mentioned, The Greek ammo has been the subject of notes on these forums, with the complaint being non-function of the rifle when it is used. Go get some other ammo and try that...
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Gotcha... I've got some home loaded match ammo coming for some serious accuracy testing.  This will be used instead of the Greek stuff.  That ammo will be saved for the next project:  A beater AR that will feast upon anything.  Definitely a NATO upper instead of a .223 win like this one.

Also to note, I've recently picked up 3 Colt AR mags with the 5 spot welds down the spine.  $20 each isn't really a deal, but this way I'll save the orlites for the beater.

Thanks a ton for the help!!

Chris
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude the orlites and other BS mags your using are 99% of your problem trust me I use nothing but Colt 20's and 30's. You can buy them out of shotgun news also look at rguns.net also try gotmags.com... Trust me I've spent alot of cash on junk mags don't waste your money. BUY COLT...
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top