Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2002 4:18:36 PM EDT
I was just wondering something. I'm not new to ar's, but up till now I only had A1 rear sights, so how much play is acceptable? My point of aim doesn't seem to change, but I hate seeing that rear sight move around. How much more of a gap on the left side should ther be as compared to the right of the sight base? Is it normal to have it tight to the reciever at full elevation and slack at minimum? It's a factory assembled rear from J&T, everything else seems fine, just a worryaholic about this I guess, I'm used to the garand's sights that don't wiggle.

Thanx
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
P.S. Excuse the typo's Computers and keyboards hate farmboys!! (and yes, I meant play)
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't worry, be happy!

If you look closely, the center of the aperture is at the center of rotation.  Rotation will make a small difference if the rear sight is adjusted to one side but the effect is very small.

The most the sight can move to one side is about .125".  A 10 degree rotation will move the center of the sight by only .125(1-cos10)=.0019".  With a sight radius of 20" the point of impact will move by .34".

This would be the absolute worst possible error.  Spring tension and the sight adjusted near the center would make this error much smaller.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 6:55:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Rabid, I have one too with the same problem - I understand that Busmaster sells a sight that has to be hand fitted to solve the problem. I decided to leave it alone - I will scope the rifle anyway, but wanted it perfect.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top