Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/30/2002 6:44:48 PM EDT
Okay, this isn't a heavy duty problem, I think, but I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys.

Before I sent my Bushy off to KKF my Bushy had an barrel index problem.  After I got it back from KKF the problem was solved.  Windage was only 3 clicks left of center.  Great.

Okay, well, I recently had a local gunsmith put on PRI's new and improved flip up front sight.  I finally took it out to the range today to re-zero it.  Boy! was this rifle off!  It was shooting to the extreme right.  I had to dial the windage knob ALL THE WAY TO THE LEFT TILL IT WOULDN'T GO ANYMORE!  My elevation is dead on, but it still shoots sligthly to the left of the 3" dot (I got the target off of the Maryland's AR15 Shooter's site).

So what do I do?  Is it as easy as just loosening the set screws and moving the front sight to the left a bit?  Or is it a more complicated matter?  How tight should the set screws be tightened?

What do you guys think?

At the moment, the front sight is completely off the barrel.  I took it off cuz I was curious to see how it was put on.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
well...personally... i'd take it back to the gunsmith and tell him he had better un screw it up. it was good before you brought it in. being a gunsmith, he shoudl know the proper wat of taking off and putting the sight on.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 5:45:19 AM EDT
[#2]
If the gas block is just held with set screws it is a simple adjustment.  Your gunsmith probably just eyeballed the position so he wouldn't have to take it out to sight it in.  I'm sure he wouldn't mind making the small adjustment but you could do a better job next time you take it to the range.  I'd make a pencil mark on the barrel and gas block so you know where you started.

The gunsmith would have to charge for his time to shoot and align the sight where as you can enjoy the process for the cost of the bullets.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#3]
So this front sight is held in place by set screws, not tapers pins, is that right? Did your gunsmith fill the taper pin holes in the barrel to make flats for the set screws?

If so, you should be able to push the front sight to the left by loosening the set screws on left side and tightening the set screws on the right side. Do it in small half turn increments until you get it zeroed. Don't forget to mechanically zero the windage before you begin. Once you get the front sight zeroed for windage, remove the set screws one at a time and put loc-tite on them and screw them in.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Thanks for the help.  That pencil marking suggestion will sure make things easier.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top