Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2002 2:16:55 AM EDT
my shorty ar15 that i built started jamming yesterday at the range. it will always do it on the bullet on the right side of the mag. it just drives the bullet straight ahead and it doesn't go up the ramp. it hit below the ramp so hard it drives the bullet into the casing. could it be my follower sticking in the mag. do yall recomend lube on the mag follower?

Elvis
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#1]
No, no lube on the follower. Did you try different mags? Are these 20 rd mags or 30s? USGI mags? If they're 30 rd mags, green or black followers? Could be your feed lips are cracked or bent.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#2]
It happened with two or three different mags. One of the mags was a refurbished twenty round colt. All my thirty rounders have green followers. The thirty rounders that jammed yesterday were new. I don't understand, this is the second outing with this gun and it ran flawlessly the first time out. Yesterday it was jam city.

Elvis
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 4:13:43 AM EDT
[#3]
A gun that jams from rounds on only one side of the mag is usually one of 2 things:

Bad Mag
Feed ramp problem

Take a good look at your feed ramp.  Give special attention to the right side and look for any burrs or unusual scratches/marks. tool marks.  You may have to polish the right side a bit or, if you're uncomfortable with that, send it back to be corrected.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I took it to the range yesterday to do some checking. It seems that out of eight GI mags of different brands that only one of them don't jam. It always happens on about the sixth or seventh round. Also I had my first left side jam, only one of them though. Al of these mags function flawlessly in my Colt. I am beginning to think it is a ramp problem. The ramp doesn't look quiet like my Colts ramp. Any suggestions?

Elvis
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Let' go  back a step...
Does this happen with a round fired and the NEXT round jamming, or will it happen when you release the 'bolt release' on the let side of the gun on a newly inserted full mag?
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 3:46:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Royce it usually happens on about the sixth or seventh round. It has never jammed releasing the bolt. It always fires and then the round that jams will run straight into the wall just below the feed ramps. It is usually the round on the right side although this past weekend it did jam one time on the left.

Elvis
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Elvis-Ar15,  I have a trick I would like you to try.

Start with a loaded mag inserted into the mag well, then insert a folded piece of paper into the back of the well in between the mag and the well.  This will cant the mag forward and the front up.  Try this for a mag and see if the mag feeds for the whole mag.

If it does, then the mag is loose in the well and the mag catch button needs to be tightened. Also, the stock mag angle and feed ramps may be out of alinement and/or the ammo your using is not compatible.

If the trick doesn't work, and the bolt starts riding over the top round, the mag catch button may be milled too low, or the rifle may be short strocking and causing the jam.

But chances are that the height, of the mag when locked, to the feed lips is off. Check the upper just below the feed ramps for a indentation.  If this is the case, there is a mod that you can have done to increase the angle of the ramps.  This allows a wider range of ammo to be used in the rifle.

I had the same problem with a CAR that I was trying to run Wolf HP ammo threw.  The forth round during a burst would stick the upper just below the ramp. The paper trick allowed me to band-aid to stop the jams, but the correct cure was to lower the ramps. Also, only the HP was jamming the rifle, So I could of just switch ammo, but chose to modify the upper to allow the hp to used in the future.

Look up M-4 upper mods/ feed ramp mods.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=118733&w=searchPop

P.S. Welcome to the world of AR tuning.
As most of use have stated, our rifles will eat anything that is put down the chamber. But we have worked the rifles over to allow this to happen.  
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top