Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/10/2021 10:31:40 AM EDT
Of course I've read the tech manual and it says to push down while turning clockwise... I have no problem with the pushing down part, but the turning clockwise part is a bit of an impossibility with such a small spring. So what's the secret to get them to snap down in and not be crooked looking and actually be seated straight? Since just pushing down on the spring alone never really seems to do it, I've thought about using needle nose pliers to actually be able to grab on to the spring to be able to turn it while pushing down, though I have a feeling I'd probably just end up slipping off and loosing and/or damaging the spring in the prosses.

Needless to say, any helpful tips or tricks would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Just a small pair of needle nose pliers seems to be the go-to tool for that job.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Forceps if it's giving you fits.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#3]
With so many different springs out there you have to look at the direction it is wound and turn it so it is trying to make the bottom coil smaller. Have had a extractor or two the twisting method did not work and had to chase the bottom coils around with a small jewelers screw driver to force it into the pocket. I don't recommend to though because I have always worried that nicks in a spring from hardened tools might lead to breaks at the nicked area.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With so many different springs out there you have to look at the direction it is wound and turn it so it is trying to make the bottom coil smaller. Have had a extractor or two the twisting method did not work and had to chase the bottom coils around with a small jewelers screw driver to force it into the pocket. I don't recommend to though because I have always worried that nicks in a spring from hardened tools might lead to breaks at the nicked area.
View Quote

Yes, I do realize that. There must be a standard for which way the springs are wound (at least on the extractor springs that the military gets) for them to specifically mention a clockwise turn in the manual... Always best to actually look at the spring to check though.

I'm only using Colt copper colored extractor springs, but I haven't checked which way they are wound since I haven't tried the twisting method yet.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#5]
The new Colt springs are a little more difficult because of the larger diameter wire.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The new Colt springs are a little more difficult because of the larger diameter wire.
View Quote

Hmmm, I wonder if that's what my issue is with getting them to seat straight.

I've actually heard that attempting to seat them by just pushing straight down could damage the spring... Any truth to that?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#7]
There isn’t a lot of spring for pushing, and that insert will really get in the way.  So while I don’t know if that would hurt the spring, it probably won’t be very helpful for your installation.

If you’re having trouble getting the larger base coils started, you may simply have to grab some fine needle-nose pliers or forceps, hold the spring 180 degrees away from the end of the bottom coil, and sort of “lean” that end into the recess.  Once it’s there, start turning the whole thing in the direction the spring is coiled until you get all of the bottom turn in the recess.

After that, you can use your tool (no longer holding the spring wire) to push that bottom coil all the way into the recess.  This may take a combination of patience, LOTS of light, and maybe some magnification.

This is a big part of the reason the TM says not to take out the extractor spring if you don’t need to.  Armorers really know how to cuss; maybe this is why.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hmmm, I wonder if that's what my issue is with getting them to seat straight.

I've actually heard that attempting to seat them by just pushing straight down could damage the spring... Any truth to that?
View Quote

I just push with my thumb and give a little twist in the direction of the wind.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I tried using my Knipex parallel jaw pliers to just push straight down on the spring today and I did get the spring to seat... Not sure I liked how it felt though. I expected more of a clicking into place type of feeling, but it was more of a slow "gushy" finally gave in sort of feeling.

I don't think I damaged the spring though and I actually oiled the large end of the spring so it would pop down in easier.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Well the sides of the recess for the spring are straight, there is no undercut, so there won't be a "snap" fit.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top