Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/30/2021 11:26:27 AM EDT
So I have been paitently paiting for a nitride bolt to come in stock for a build but it has been a while and they have NiB and phosphate in stock.  Will be going in a nitride carrier.  Is going to be a hunting gun so won't get a ton of use but which would you prefer?  The NiB is $10 more if that matters, not a big deal if it is "better"
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you dead set on it being from a particular manufacturer? Right To Bear has a nitride 9310 bolt kit in stock for $65. UnbrandedAR has a nitride C158 bolt for $40.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you dead set on it being from a particular manufacturer? Right To Bear has a nitride 9310 bolt kit in stock for $65. UnbrandedAR has a nitride C158 bolt for $40.
View Quote

Not 5.56 or it would be easy.  458 Socom
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I have both and don't notice any functional difference between the two. NiB is much easier to clean. That's about it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#4]
If price is the same I prefer the NiB.  If price is more than 1/4 higher, I'm good with the phosphate.

My two NiB both came from AIM back when they were 89 or 99, and have been awesome.  If something breaks I will probably go with the NiB as a replacement, but until something breaks I'm GTG.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have both and don't notice any functional difference between the two. NiB is much easier to clean. That's about it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Has anyone experienced any flaking of NiB coating?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not yet.  But there are probably some examples of it happening out there somewhere.  Any plating like NiB or Chrome can flake.  Good companies don't usually have many problems.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought a NiB BCG when they were all the rage.  It's had more rounds in front of it, by 1000's, than any of my other guns.  After I wipe it down, it looks nearly brand new.  Functionally, I don't think it makes a bit of difference.

Get what you want.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I bought a NiB BCG when they were all the rage.  It's had more rounds in front of it, by 1000's, than any of my other guns.  After I wipe it down, it looks nearly brand new.  Functionally, I don't think it makes a bit of difference.

Get what you want.
View Quote

I want nitride but have run out of patience so NiB it will be if it's so much easier to clean.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got some of both and haven't noticed any issues with either.  I'll buy whichever is the cheaper of the two, all other things being equal.  If the $10 extra gets you what you want, then do it.  I've spent $10 on stupider.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So I have been paitently paiting for a nitride bolt to come in stock for a build but it has been a while and they have NiB and phosphate in stock.  Will be going in a nitride carrier.  Is going to be a hunting gun so won't get a ton of use but which would you prefer?  The NiB is $10 more if that matters, not a big deal if it is "better"
View Quote

Right now get what you can get.  I'd rather have something in hand than be waiting who knows how long.

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Has it ever been proven these coatings and treatments allow the gun to run dry for longer or is it just a matter of looking pretty?
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Has it ever been proven these coatings and treatments allow the gun to run dry for longer or is it just a matter of looking pretty?
View Quote

I had a fairly high round count range trip right before COVID. My phosphate gun was bone dry on the rails by the end. My chrome carrier gun however was still wet. It actually looked like a muddy mess because of the carbon mixed with the oil.

Slick finished carriers throw around the lubrication when the gun cycles. That may sound counter productive, but it definitely works out. Even when it looks like someone spray painted your once beautiful carrier, it’s still buttery smooth long after a phosphate gun. I wouldn’t say it will run dry longer, but the carrier rails definitely stay wet longer.

Add to that cleaning is literally a wipe down everywhere but the tail of the bolt, and I’m sold on nitride and chrome.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well. My crusader came equipped with a lightweight nickel boron coated bcg and bolt.
Day 1 I didn't put a drop of oil on it.

I don't break guns in like most.
Zero irons and red dot/scope.
Then mag dump at 50 yards. Then go to 1 round every 2 seconds for the rest of the day. You could see the heat through the red dot.

I ran it dry the way it came. 0 issues. 1,200 rounds over the span of 9 hours. Carbon literally wiped off.
I've been a fan of nickel boron all the things ever since.

When PSA had their carpenter 158 bolts and carriers in Nickel boron with a free charging handle and free shipping for 79-89?
I was buying them for meme gun builds. I'd put a light coating of synthetic Rotella (diesel oil) on them.
Wet? They'll get muddy like the above poster with chrome.
And it just wipes right off. Bolt tails on phosphate bolts usually get hard crud build up you need to scrape to get broke free.
Not on nickel boron in my experience. It wipes off, especially if you lube it first.

Ever since the crusader I've ditched phosphate carriers simply for the fact these things wipe clean with a rag, and no damage from running dry.
I'm convinced and hooked.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Check Stag Arms. I picked up a Nitride BCG from them about two weeks ago. They may not have a .458, though.

As far as NiB goes, I f'n love it. As others have stated, you can't really tell a functional difference, but easier cleaning and less lubing is nice. I have all three: NiB, Phostphate, and Nitride. All three shoot well, and have never failed or misfired. The only downside to the phosphate coating is that it looks like bare metal....so I assume it will be more susceptible to corrosion. Not a problem, though, if you keep them clean and lubed.

Cheers bud!
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Most everything I have now is either NiB or Chromed.  If it was between nitride & phosphate, I'd go for nitride, and since your choice is between NiB & phospate, I'd pay extra for the NiB in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Most everything I have now is either NiB or Chromed.  If it was between nitride & phosphate, I'd go for nitride, and since your choice is between NiB & phospate, I'd pay extra for the NiB in a heartbeat.
View Quote

I was stationed on a FOB with a platoon of 11C's once. Crazy bastards, you mortarmen are! Hooah?
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I was stationed on a FOB with a platoon of 11C's once. Crazy bastards, you mortarmen are! Hooah?
View Quote

Shh.   What happens in the mortar pit, stays in the mortar pit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Shh.   What happens in the mortar pit, stays in the mortar pit.
View Quote

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top