Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/12/2021 10:43:26 PM EDT
Friend is trying to sell an extra PSA 5.56 Premium BCG and I was thinking of buying it to help him out (could also use an extra BCG)

Is PSA's Premium brand g2g?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:32:59 AM EDT
[#1]
$50- Yes
$100- Your call
$150 -Nope

IMO of course.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 6:22:57 AM EDT
[#2]
The Premium BCGs have always been solid IME.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I think that they are PSA branded ToolCraft BCGs. Could be misremembering though.

Regardleess, I've been banging away with one for a few years in a range toy. It's never done anything except what it is designed to do.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:13:34 AM EDT
[#4]
What other choices do you have?  Right now you are going to be paying a premium price on entry level products and super premium price on anything above that.  If you can find anything in stock.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:18:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Want value $100...need value $150... assuming new, unused
Even the really old premium PSA bcg were solid.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Ive got a few and so do friends. No problems with any of them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#7]
No problems with PSA Premium BCG's
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:32:57 AM EDT
[#8]
GTG in my experience
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice

What would be a fair price?
I believe he said it's there full auto BCG?

Is that made by toolcraft?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I have one and it's been goodwith hard, dirty use.

Fair price? I think you could get em for like $70ish pre-Rona. Now I'm sure they'd go at over $100 all day, maybe even $125-150?

I'm pretty sure I've seen nitride BCGs in that same $125-150 range lately, so if the PSA is a phosphate then I'd personally pass because I like black nitride slightly more, seems slicker out of the box and easier to clean. If you won't care, then snag the PSA even if it's over $100. Sucks but that's how it is right now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice

What would be a fair price?
I believe he said it's there full auto BCG?

Is that made by toolcraft?
View Quote

$80 pre panic.

Henderson Defense praised them quite a bit in their thread here, among the longest lasting BCGs in their inventory.

Don't ask regarding manufacturer, you'll not get a straight answer.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Can anyone cite stories of the premium BCG prematurely failing?

I've seen some of cheaper stuff fail...Bushmaster, Rock River, etc. in carbine uppers but it's been a while.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can anyone cite stories of the premium BCG prematurely failing?

I've seen some of cheaper stuff fail...Bushmaster, Rock River, etc. in carbine uppers but it's been a while.
View Quote

Other than the ~6 month span where there were quite a few issues with shitty park jobs, I've not seen m/heard any complaints personally.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I can't bring myself to buy at current pricing.  I know folks are, but I'm gonna sit over here and be poor looking at the ones I already have...

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes.....PSA BCGs are good to go. I'd consider it dependent upon price and if I needed a spare.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Well he wants $165 for the BCG

I was thinking of buying it because I need a BCG for a new build I'm working on but that seems kinda high

Would you buy it at that price if you needed another BCG?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I was thinking of buying it because I need a BCG for a new build I'm working on but that seems kinda high

View Quote

If you aren't in a hurry go to the Aim Surplus website and sign up for email notification for when their $119.99 BCG's come back in stock.  165 for a PSA is dumb.  I have one PSA BCG that I paid $50 for a few years ago.  It works great tho
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

$10 more direct from PSA.

"Need" would dictate willingness to spend.

I hope that my "need" is never at that point personally.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you aren't in a hurry go to the Aim Surplus website and sign up for email notification for when their $119.99 BCG's come back in stock.  165 for a PSA is dumb.  I have one PSA BCG that I paid $50 for a few years ago.  It works great tho
View Quote
@s4s4u

Is Aim's BCG g2g?
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 2:26:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I would buy Toolcraft, if I could find one now.

Google search.

Try Arm or Ally
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:51:54 AM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn't spend $165 unless I needed one.

as far as GTG all mine have been well made with non MIM parts.

The thing about saying "buy a Toolcraft". Toolcraft only makes the carrier. The bolt could be turd depending on who you buy it from.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@s4s4u

Is Aim's BCG g2g?
View Quote

Good by me, but I have a sample of 1 to judge by.  By the the feedback on their site there are many other's happy with them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
These guys g2g?

Also is there LPK g2g?
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
These guys g2g?

Also is there LPK g2g?
View Quote

WC Armory - yes

Toolcraft bcg - yes

The LPK in question - no idea
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

WC Armory - yes

Toolcraft bcg - yes

View Quote
Thanks

I ordered a combo, we'll see how it goes

For the LPK, I guess I'll check and see if everything is in spec. If so I guess I'll use it
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#28]
I now stay away from PSA’s stuff as a whole.  Not much of a sample size but I had bought three of their BCG’s at different times; all three were “servicable” but the the internal bore was so rough in two of them it ate gas rings in just a couple hundred rounds and the staking on the third was bogus. Both the ones with rough bores were “premium” BCG’s.  I know a lot of guys had great luck with them which is why I tried them out.  YMMV.

I’ve mostly stuck with FN, AO, & Toolcraft with an LMT here and there when they used to be priced for humans.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thanks

For the LPK, I guess I'll check and see if everything is in spec. If so I guess I'll use it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WC Armory - yes

Toolcraft bcg - yes

Thanks

Did yours actually show up yet? They sent mine via USPS, who left it leaning against my door right up against the sidewalk on a busy street. Needless to say, by the time I went outside, it was gone. Glad now I paid the extra $20 for full shipping insurance.

ETA: Apparently, the "full insurance" only covers the package DURING transit. Theft at location or misdelivery are not covered. So, I guess I'm out $280 for the bolt, LPK, and the upper I added. As of this moment, I'm calling WC Armory NOT good to go.

2nd ETA: going through the USPS tracking info, it looks like he just shipped priority mail with tracking but no additional insurance. So, he pocketed the $20 full insurance payment.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Did yours actually show up yet? They sent mine via USPS, who left it leaning against my door right up against the sidewalk on a busy street. Needless to say, by the time I went outside, it was gone. Glad now I paid the extra $20 for full shipping insurance.

ETA: Apparently, the "full insurance" only covers the package DURING transit. Theft at location or misdelivery are not covered. So, I guess I'm out $280 for the bolt, LPK, and the upper I added. As of this moment, I'm calling WC Armory NOT good to go.

2nd ETA: going through the USPS tracking info, it looks like he just shipped priority mail with tracking but no additional insurance. So, he pocketed the $20 full insurance payment.
View Quote
Yeah I got mine and everything looks ok

I need to clean the BCG though, it's sticky
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:03:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

As I recommended WC armory in the first place I feel obligated to add my comments.

I can’t speak to whether or not your package was shipped with the insurance you paid for.  Regardless, shipping insurance has never covered theft.  What you paid for insurance covered (or should have covered) any damage in transit or loss by the shipping company.  If you don’t require a signature for delivery, you are giving the shipping company permission to leave the package at your door.  Once it has been delivered to your door the shippers’ liability ends.  Insurance does not cover what happens after that.

I know this doesn’t replace your lost product, perhaps you do have a rightful grievance in paying for and not receiving shipping insurance.  Nevertheless, that shipping insurance would not have covered theft after delivery.

ETA:  if you haven’t contacted USPS, give it a shot.  It’s easy to assume theft (I did) but it is also possible that it was delivered to the wrong address.  Shippers these days use gps info correlated to delivery.  They can actually look to see if the location of the truck at the time of delivery confirmation corresponds to your address.  If it doesn’t match they can at least attempt to go to the wrong address where it was delivered and retrieve the package.  If they did deliver to the wrong address and can’t recover, the insurance you paid for that wasn’t included in the shipment could become an issue.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:14:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WC Armory - yes

Toolcraft bcg - yes

Thanks

I'd be calling my Credit Card Company - some have "theft protection" and will compensate you.  Others I'd just drop the hammer on that company and tell your CC company to refund you due to fraud.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:44:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:54:17 AM EDT
[#35]
The guy did answer my email, and suggested I call the PO. I already had, of course, but had missed them by a couple of minutes, as I didn't get the delivery notice until nearly 5pm local.

Here's the thing. The delivery confirmation says it was left out front at 9:52am. The next door neighbor (same building, one door down) was here at 9:55 and didn't see any packages. That's a pretty narrow window for theft.

The 'product' shown on the USPS tracking page shows priority mail with tracking. No signature confirmation or additional insurance. I have shipped items for business and know both of those are available, and paying for them was usual procedure for my business. Particularly when I charged a customer extra for it. There was no option on the order page for delivery confirmation or I'd have paid the extra $0.50 for it after dropping nearly $300 already. My contention is that basic competence would have him using the money I paid for shipping insurance to purchase shipping insurance from USPS, which he did not.

There is always a chance that it wasn't delivered at all, but that the carrier just noted that it had been. It's happened, apparently, to people I know. I've had FedEx and UPS pull that shit, but never USPS.

In any case, I'll call them in the morning with the tracking number and see what I can see. I'm still not comfortable with the whole, "pay for insurance but don't get it" aspect of this thing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:*snip* I'm still not comfortable with the whole, "pay for insurance but don't get it" aspect of this thing.
View Quote

Of course if that is the case it is a problem.  Hopefully the package was marked as delivered when it was not or delivered to the wrong address and you get your products.

If it was misdelivered, you don't get your product and it turns out that the package was not insured properly as you paid for, that is going to look really bad for the retailer.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 1:20:46 AM EDT
[#37]
All's well that ends well. The issue was a sudden, unexpected outbreak of competence. Regular mail carrier arrived at around 9:50ish, waiting for neighbor to open his shop. Leaves with package still in truck just as neighbor pulls up. This morning, she showed just after he opened at 10:00, and explained why she hadn't dropped it yesterday.

So, I have the parts. Good stuff.

It remains, though, that there was no insurance or signature verification on the shipment according to USPS.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Glad to hear you got your parts.  Nevertheless it sounds like you technically didn't get what you paid for (insurance).  I've made several successful orders with WC over the years and will probably continue to buy from them myself but I don't think I can recommend them to others after your issue.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Glad to hear you got your parts.  Nevertheless it sounds like you technically didn't get what you paid for (insurance).  I've made several successful orders with WC over the years and will probably continue to buy from them myself but I don't think I can recommend them to others after your issue.
View Quote

Thanks. To be fair, I emailed twice, and Bill (whoever that is) promptly answered.

If I ever get a wild hair and decide he's got something I need, I'll email him beforehand and see if he's willing to pay for (or let me pay for) signature verification and actual postal insurance. Who knows, maybe he will. If not, no sale. But, yeah, I do feel griped about this transaction.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I’ve always had extremely good experiences with Whitestone Castle Armory.  Bill is the proprietor.  It’s a fairly small operation, and with everybody trying to buy everything all at once, it’s possible that he’s gotten overwhelmed at times.

Since he replied right away, I’ll bet that Bill’s working on whatever the problem was.  He always seemed like “good people” to me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#41]
I have two PSA Premium 5.56's. As most others have stated here, they are amazing BCGs. They are Toolcraft-made, chrome-lined, properly staked, MPI(if I remember correctly), FA profile, and come from PSA with an o-ring under the extractor.

The PSA Premium NiB is my go-to BCG for anything that I build requiring a 5.56 carrier. I tend to not buy anything else from PSA, because they are a little overpriced on most all individual parts & accessories, but their bolts are always at the bottom of current market prices.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top