Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2021 3:59:48 PM EDT
Newbie here.....

I'm having trouble finding any kits in stock anywhere.

Anyone know a good quality kit in stock?

I see some on Gunbroker.com, but how do I know if its good quality?
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/890071493

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
For a complete kit minus the lower I think Palmetto will be your best bet to find what you're looking for and have it in stock.

Palmetto AR-15 Kits
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#2]
midway has in-stock kits, last I checked.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For a complete kit minus the lower I think Palmetto will be your best bet to find what you're looking for and have it in stock.

Palmetto AR-15 Kits
View Quote

I'll second PSA.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I will go out on a limb and say LaRue
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
PSA on a budget, Larue if not.  But, beggars can't be choosers.  Whatever is in stock.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have helped a few guys put together kits from here:

Outdoor Sports USA

Nothing really fancy, but prices and quality seemed reasonable.

Attachment Attached File

Of course, you can pay to have the upper assembled, and you have to buy the BCG separately.

Like I said, nothing special, but they seemed okay.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Is Larue much better than PSA?

All we have are two completed 80% lowers from 5D Tactical.  They came out great.  If I order everything on this list tyo the right will I have a 100% complete rifle when its all assembled?  Is anything at all missing?

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit/

What is Barrel P&W....and Barrel NO P&W....

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
PSA on a budget, Larue if not.  But, beggars can't be choosers.  Whatever is in stock.
View Quote

Looks like larue and PSA are within about $50.00 for a complete kit.....

If Larue is a lot better than PSA, I'll go with Larue.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Everyone has an opinion so here's mine. As a newb try to find a complete upper. Aero/ higher end PSA/ BCM. Stay away from off brand 'kits'. Some of PSA's are ok, but if you can build or have some help -

- Daniel or Criterion barrels can be found
- Aero gas block/ tube (Save $)
- Geissele or SLR rail
- Aero upper (Save $)
- Radian charging handle
- BCG of choice (Don't cheap out)

Good luck, bad timing. :)

EDIT- No way Id buy that GB listing you posted.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Everyone has an opinion so here's mine. As a newb try to find a complete upper. Aero/ higher end PSA/ BCM. Stay away from off brand 'kits'. Some of PSA's are ok, but if you can build or have some help -

- Daniel or Criterion barrel
- Geissele or SLR rail
- Aero upper (Save $)
- Radian charging handle

View Quote

Yea, I'm afraid to buy different brand parts and then some wont marry up together.  The Larue price came out to $792.00 after selecting everything from the drop down boxes.  If Larue os good quality I can just go with it.

I'd like to spend a bit more and choose mix and match parts like you say....but I have no idea what to buy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

- Geissele or SLR rail
- Aero upper (Save $)
- Radian charging handle

View Quote

Larue is a bad Gas Block?

So if I ordered everything else from Larue, then ordered an Aero gas block and tube.......how would that be?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yea, I'm afraid to buy different brand parts and then some wont marry up together.  The Larue price came out to $792.00 after selecting everything from the drop down boxes.  If Larue os good quality I can just go with it.

I'd like to spend a bit more and choose mix and match parts like you say....but I have no idea what to buy.
View Quote

I just gave you the parts list dude! All Mil-spec, no worries about them marrying up. Haha. JK. I get it man. LaRue is GTG but not sure if they have live inventory. (Are all those parts ready to ship?) You have all the tools?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Tough time to buy but based on what I'm hearing I'd go for something like this but good luck brother!

You didn't say what length but I'll assume 16

BCM upper
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just gave you the parts list dude! All Mil-spec, no worries about them marrying up. Haha. JK. I get it man. LaRue is GTG but not sure if they have live inventory. (Are all those parts ready to ship?) You have all the tools?
View Quote

LOL...I hear ya.  So any AR15 part I buy should fit all other parts.  Ok, I'll start doing some research into that parts list.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Whats the difference between a 5.56mmx45mm NATO kit and a 5.56mmx45mm kit....?

And some kits say "M4" and some just say 5.56 kit....?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:49:06 PM EDT
[#16]
What is Barrel P&W....and Barrel NO P&W....
View Quote

Pin & Weld?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:51:46 PM EDT
[#17]

- Geissele or SLR rail
- Aero upper (Save $)
- Radian charging handle
View Quote

gucci, gucci, gouuuuu
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:21:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Pin & Weld?
View Quote

Thanks.....lots to learn.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:16:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

gucci, gucci, gouuuuu
View Quote

Really dude? Daniel barrels and Geissele rails are Gucci? Just a rock solid, commonly used list of parts. I threw SLR in there as there's tons of option and they are still reasonably priced.

Still think he should just buy a complete upper but big premium right now vs building.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:26:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Whats the difference between a 5.56mmx45mm NATO kit and a 5.56mmx45mm kit....?

And some kits say "M4" and some just say 5.56 kit....?
View Quote

Those should be all the same.

That parts list is one of a million you could put together. Here's a cheaper list

- Ballistic advantage/ Faxon/ Rosco barrel (Primary arms had some BA the other day but ?)
- Midwest industries MLOK rail
- Aero gas tube, gas block, upper receiver ( You can go with about any decent brand on the gas block/ tube but they're cheap parts.)
- Tool craft/ Aero/ AIM BCG
- A2 flash hider
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Of those 2 kits I would say Larue based on the feedback I've seen and the Larue parts I've purchased in the past few years. I really like their LAT handguards aside from that stupid logo. I have a PSA Freedom upper that I like well enough (accuracy is more than satisfactory), but it is a little over gassed.

I wouldn't stress over it. You'll be fine either way.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Really dude? Daniel barrels and Geissele rails are Gucci? Just a rock solid, commonly used list of parts. I threw SLR in there as there's tons of option and they are still reasonably priced.

Still think he should just buy a complete upper but big premium right now vs building.
View Quote

I don't know about Gucci, those parts are indeed quality and functional, not just dressy frilly crap.  But, that said, I've always wondered why the Geissele rails cost more than twice as much as some similar ones.  I've never really gotten a good explanation other than having people insult the ones I've used on some builds.  But I've yet to find a fault with the ones I have.  They've held up.  My sights and sling swivels, etc., fit on them.  If they're complete crap like I've been told I can't figure out why.  I've got YHM and some other knowns brands on some of my older builds, but I honestly can't see how they are really much any better than the cheaper ones.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'll second PSA.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Palmetto AR-15 Kits

I'll second PSA.

PSA gtg, built several
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Why are these rails:

https://geissele.com/super-modular-rail-mk16-m-lokr.html
https://slrrifleworks.com/helix-11-7-mlok-handguard-f-model/

$100+ more than this one?

https://yhm.net/yhm-5343-dx.html

And there are a lot of others that are pretty comparable to these that are even less than the YHM.

Maybe I'm missing something?  
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks.....lots to learn.
View Quote

Should I just order the muzzle break NON Pinned or welded?  Or does it need to be pinned or welded?

I haven't decided on what kits to get yet.  Larue seems easy for a first build that I am attemping.  I will build 4 total rifles this year.....2 AR15's and 2 ASR10's.  I have all those 80% lowers to complete this week hopefully with my 5D Tactical jig.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#26]
With the la rue what barrel would you go with
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

FFS yes.

DD and Geissele are top tier, so, in anyone's universe that reflects their cost (and reality), they are Gucci.  They are great for draining OPs wallet.  GOOD JOB!

A solid, not ridiculously priced rail option (or honest recommendation) would be Midwest Industries.

For the barrel, I would point him to Green Mountain.  OTOH, with no idea of his skill or need he can do OK with other options.

The last think he needs to do is piss away twice the needed cost for a "I've got a Radian Raptor Charge handle and I get wood any time I stroke it".

Back to the OP post, Larue is a great kit to get with VG quality and accuracy.  But its not going to come quick.

It's a deep world here with the options.  You can do fine with tons of things, or spend a ton of money on "These are the Hotness choices" list from DetroitSounds.

OP should spend some time on a couple of sites to get an idea of what various things are out there.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:46:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Not trying to change topic but how do you post pics from your phone
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Should I just order the muzzle break NON Pinned or welded?  Or does it need to be pinned or welded?

I haven't decided on what kits to get yet.  Larue seems easy for a first build that I am attemping.  I will build 4 total rifles this year.....2 AR15's and 2 ASR10's.  I have all those 80% lowers to complete this week hopefully with my 5D Tactical jig.
View Quote

If the barrel itself is 16" you don't need P&W.  If the barrel is less than 16" and you need the length of the muzzle (brake) device to make the 16" length required to be a rifle, you need P&W
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

- Geissele or SLR rail
- Aero upper (Save $)
- Radian charging handle

View Quote

Not too far off from what I did for my first AR build.  DD barrel and gas tube, BAD gas block, Aero upper, Geissele rail, Geissele CH, Microbest (for Sionics, for Forward Control Designs) NP3 BC with serrated scallop paired with an LMT e-bolt, LMT sights with Compass Lake FSP, FCD 6315 flash suppressor, and a bayonet lug harvested from a FSB.  Lower has parts from Geissele, LMT, Aero, Norgon, FCD, Magpul, LWRCI, and Radian.  Rifle also has Colt, Arisaka, and ALG small parts on it.  

I'm glad I went this way instead of just going cheap on my first build (I had intended to get a PSA kit that had pretty much everything but the lower).  I decided to go simple and reasonably inexpensive for my second build.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

FFS yes.

DD and Geissele are top tier, so, in anyone's universe that reflects their cost (and reality), they are Gucci.  They are great for draining OPs wallet.  GOOD JOB!

A solid, not ridiculously priced rail option (or honest recommendation) would be Midwest Industries.

For the barrel, I would point him to Green Mountain.  OTOH, with no idea of his skill or need he can do OK with other options.

The last think he needs to do is piss away twice the needed cost for a "I've got a Radian Raptor Charge handle and I get wood any time I stroke it".

Back to the OP post, Larue is a great kit to get with VG quality and accuracy.  But its not going to come quick.

It's a deep world here with the options.  You can do fine with tons of things, or spend a ton of money on "These are the Hotness choices" list from DetroitSounds.

OP should spend some time on a couple of sites to get an idea of what various things are out there.
View Quote

Thanks.  I have no problem with researching on my own.  I just came here to ask because I leave the country again on Feb. 28th for work in Asia.  And I'd really like to cut my 80% lowers this week and then hopefully assemble at least one rifle before I leave.

I can order the Larue complete kit today if $792.00 is a good deal, and I now know its a good quality set up.  For my first build it should be fine.  When I'm away for my 2 month on-duty period in Asia I can research and then put together a real badass, high-end AR15 and then assemble it when I get home.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thanks.  I have no problem with researching on my own.  I just came here to ask because I leave the country again on Feb. 28th for work in Asia.  And I'd really like to cut my 80% lowers this week and then hopefully assemble at least one rifle before I leave.

I can order the Larue complete kit today if $792.00 is a good deal, and I now know its a good quality set up.  For my first build it should be fine.  When I'm away for my 2 month on-duty period in Asia I can research and then put together a real badass, high-end AR15 and then assemble it when I get home.
View Quote

For what you get, the Larue is well worth the money.

Larue's inventory is not reflected on the website.  They will take the order and you will wait until it ships.

However, the odds are that if you order it now, when you get back, it still might not have arrived.  As of a couple months ago, the wait time was 8 weeks:

Anyone received an order for a complete upper from LaRue recently?

But it looks a bit better than that here:

arf Larue forum
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

For what you get, the Larue is well worth the money.

Larue's inventory is not reflected on the website.  They will take the order and you will wait until it ships.

However, the odds are that if you order it now, when you get back, it still might not have arrived.  As of a couple months ago, the wait time was 8 weeks:

Anyone received an order for a complete upper from LaRue recently?

But it looks a bit better than that here:

arf Larue forum
View Quote

I spoke to Larue today........they said any order paid for today will not ship for about 6 months.  What a joke.

I'm ordering a PSA build kit.  I'm going to start on my AR15 80% lower on Wednesday night so it should get finished.  PSA ships their kit in 5-10 days.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#34]
It is worth the effort if you check Brownells Clearance deals for barrels and upper receivers. If you have the tools to assemble your own uppers that is the way to go right now. I know they can be slow sometimes, but I've gotten good deals on BCGs from Optics Planet lately, and they always have coupon codes to save $$. I got my Aero 6.5 Grendel BCG for under 130 bucks from them about two months ago.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I spoke to Larue today........they said any order paid for today will not ship for about 6 months.  What a joke.

I'm ordering a PSA build kit.  I'm going to start on my AR15 80% lower on Wednesday night so it should get finished.  PSA ships their kit in 5-10 days.
View Quote

Understandable.

Lots of people are happy with PSA kits.

OTOH, stay away from BCA (Bear Creek Arsenal) in general, unless you want to play the barrel lottery.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Understandable.

Lots of people are happy with PSA kits.

OTOH, stay away from BCA (Bear Creek Arsenal) in general, unless you want to play the barrel lottery.
View Quote

Yea, I'm going PSA.  And the kit comes with a full-auto bolt carrier.  So the FRT-15 trigger works with it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I would have ordered the LaRue UU and just waited. PSA is generally considered a budget brand except for some of their barrels made by FN. LaRue is considered top tier and before the UU came out you would have been paying 2k and waiting 3-6 months for a complete rifle. The PSA will serve it’s purpose but ultimately there isn’t a better value out there dollar for dollar than the LaRue UU hence the wait.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a few of the PSA premium kits with the FN barrel and the nickel boron BCG.  Can some one tell me which part of the LaRue kit (or any other premium upper) makes it superior?  Not trying to start a fight I just want to know which area in which my builds would be lacking.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a couple of PSA Freedoms as beaters. Buy with confidence. Mil-spec whatever, I am a big fan of nitrided barrels for working guns at this point, and both of these have been worked hard on courses where even the odd HK416 choked out (not that I think PSA is better, everything fails).

They're fine rifles all around - one was a 16" mid-length gas system upper (and a Toolcraft Nickel Boron BCG), and it's what I'd recommend. Came with a rail forend and shoots plenty fine. Well sub-2MOA, but I haven't sat down with it and shoot for groups except when the thing was brand new to sight it in.

The other one is carbine length, and like all cheaper carbines, is overgassed, and seemed to have come with a bad carrier causing it to eat gas rings. At some point I'll send that upper back for warranty, but there is so much gas in there, I am not sure it actually needs gas rings
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I would have ordered the LaRue UU and just waited. PSA is generally considered a budget brand except for some of their barrels made by FN. LaRue is considered top tier and before the UU came out you would have been paying 2k and waiting 3-6 months for a complete rifle. The PSA will serve it’s purpose but ultimately there isn’t a better value out there dollar for dollar than the LaRue UU hence the wait.
View Quote

That's what I decided back in October or whenever.  By the time I priced out a good quality PSA with BCG, it was not much cheaper than the UU kit.  PSA has a good reputation for the most part, but I decided to spring for a premium upper, and the UU is the best value I could find.  I have a handful of mid-range uppers already, so no hurry.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Newbie here.....

I'm having trouble finding any kits in stock anywhere.

Anyone know a good quality kit in stock?

I see some on Gunbroker.com, but how do I know if its good quality?
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/890071493

Thanks.
View Quote

Assembled upper, or just a bag-o-parts to assemble an upper?

"Good quality" is a subjective notion.
If it runs good w/o stuff breaking, is that "good"?
If it runs good but shoots like shit, is that "bad"?

This is a BIY forum, I recommend for a BIY'er/DIY'er to buy individual parts and build it with your own hands.

But heck, the market is crazy like GME, so buy what you can.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#42]
The market is absolutely crazy.  A lot of uncertainty with this change in administration.

That said.  My advice would be first and foremost,  get a lower ASAP.  (I seen you have an 80%,  but for other new guys out there).

If your building your upper,  buy the best barrel and BCG you can reasonably afford and build off that.  

Parts ARE out there.  No sales of course but they can be found.  The big sites will likely be out of stock but keep looking.  There are a lot of small mom/pop shops(lots of military guys ????) have small websites.  Love giving my buisness to them.

At any rate,  if you can find parts....backorder.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This is a BIY forum, I recommend for a BIY'er/DIY'er to buy individual parts and build it with your own hands.
View Quote

This.........

People can tell you what quality is or what it isn't.  But by building yourself,  you have hands on with every part.  You will notice small things like part to part tolerance,  machining quality,  etc.  you will better learn how the weapon functions and become more familiar with it.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This.........

People can tell you what quality is or what it isn't.  But by building yourself,  you have hands on with every part.  You will notice small things like part to part tolerance,  machining quality,  etc.  you will better learn how the weapon functions and become more familiar with it.  
View Quote

Indeed.  And, above all, you have control over the barrel and BCG, which are the ingredients to an accurate firearm.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:31:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Psa kit

Back when we all had bump stocks that thing saw hundreds and hundreds of rounds without a hiccup
Psa is gtg
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#46]
My first build 3-1/2 years ago was a PSA Freedom A4.  The kit arrived with a completely assembled upper.  I used an Anderson lower, and followed MidwayUSA’s Youtube video on how to assemble an AR lower.  I recommend buying/borrowing a set of roll pin starter/diving punches.  The other tools I used were common mechanics tools.

I added a decent carry handle rear sight and was good to go.  Later I replaced the “fat” front hand guards with good skinny surplus ones.  Recently I purchased one of PSA’s M16A4 lowers because I like having my builds to be properly identified.

I am very pleased with how the rifle turned out.  PSA supplies good barrels in their kits and my A4’s accuracy is under 1.5 moa using good match grade ammunition.

Nobody says you have to keep the rifle exactly the way it was sent to you or you first assemble it.  After the A4 I purchased an M4 kit from PSA and it turned out well too.  I put an imitation ACOG on it, and a 2-piece quart rail hand guard so it now looks and handles like what our troops have been carrying in the Middle East.

ARs can be thought of as “works in progress”.  They can be modified and adapted to your heart’s desire.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#47]
ARs can be thought of as “works in progress”.
View Quote

aka LEGO's for adults
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#48]
I ordered a complete upper from B. King's in September for my wife's pistol. No problems so far.

That being said, I just built an upper (my first) using an Aero upper and parts, Ballistic Advantage barrel and a Midwest rail. It's extremely easy to do. Get an armorer's wrench, brass punch and mallet and borrow a torque wrench from autozone. Videos on YouTube will walk you through it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Ive built a couple del-ton kits over the years, no issues.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#50]
PSA
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top