Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2021 11:56:57 PM EDT
I got in a Faxon Gunner barrel from AIM for my next build. It came with a low profile gas block. The gas block has both a pin hole (not the gas tube, not that dumb) and two set screws, and the barrel has a grove for the pin.

Since I'm going to be using the pin, do the set screws matter? I did see one video online where a guy used the screws, seemingly, to tighten everything down to drive the pin but I didn't see him use any thread locker or anything. If I'm using the pin do the screws matter at all?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#1]
It's like insurance. I've had them come across the bench with and without. If it has them use them. Many of the single pin blocks just use a hollow roll pin so I use the set screws also though it would probably be fine without them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:42:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Unlike taper pins, a few of the gas block that use spring pins can still have play and the set screws eliminate that. Some gas block manufacturers do not recommend using threadlocker on the set screws, and state that if you do use threadlocker, only use the blue. Over tightening the set screws can cause issues, especially on the light weight gas blocks. I would probably drive the pin first, then torque the set screws.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Some pin jobs don't hold the GB securely, there is still some movement.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:41:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd still use the screws with some Rocksett.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I've drilled/pinned a handful of LPGBs, I use a 3/16" roll pin. There is zero movement.

If I bought one that had movement I'd send that shit back.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've drilled/pinned a handful of LPGBs, I use a 3/16" roll pin. There is zero movement.

View Quote

Agreed.  But there is a discussion on another board here about this very issue.  Loose GB with only the pin.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Agreed.  But there is a discussion on another board here about this very issue.  Loose GB with only the pin.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, BA IIRC.

Either way, it's horse shit IMO. No legitimate reason to have movement of any sort.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top