Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/15/2021 6:55:02 PM EDT
Anyone got  a line of carriers w/key for sale?  I am building a 450 and want a particular bolt but they don't sell it in a carrier.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Optics planet had some Stag carriers with key lastnight
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s usually cheaper to just buy a complete 5.56 BCG than it is to buy a stripped carrier, especially after you add in the cam pin, firing pin, and firing pin retainer.  And even more so if you have to get a key and key bolts.  Even with today’s inflated prices, I bet a complete 5.56 BCG is cheaper than buying the carrier and guts, then all you need to do is swap out the bolt.  I do this all the time with my .458 SOCOM and 6.8 SPC wildcats.  There is no difference in the bolt carrier and guts so just get whatever BCG you can find and keep the extra 5.56 bolt as a spare.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:58:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s usually cheaper to just buy a complete 5.56 BCG than it is to buy a stripped carrier, especially after you add in the cam pin, firing pin, and firing pin retainer.  And even more so if you have to get a key and key bolts.  Even with today’s inflated prices, I bet a complete 5.56 BCG is cheaper than buying the carrier and guts, then all you need to do is swap out the bolt.  I do this all the time with my .458 SOCOM and 6.8 SPC wildcats.  There is no difference in the bolt carrier and guts so just get whatever BCG you can find and keep the extra 5.56 bolt as a spare.
View Quote

What he said.

Eta:  If you are dead set......Shark Arms Customs has TOOLCRAFT NIB 556/223 Carrier only / 125.00 shipped.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#4]
It’s usually cheaper to just buy a complete 5.56 BCG than it is to buy a stripped carrier, especially after you add in the cam pin, firing pin, and firing pin retainer.
View Quote

And I know this, but figured WTH.  OP has Fostech for $80 but OOS like everything else.  Upper will be sharing a lower with a 5.56 so will just have to swap out the bolt come range/hunting time.  I would prefer to keep it intact with carrier and CH so I don't lose a $100+ bolt, but it is what it is.  

Is the 458 BCG from AR15part.com any good?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I know from personal experience Toolcraft .458 S bolts are absolute crap.  Rather than take a chance on an unknown product of dubious pedigree I’d buy either a bolt or complete BCG from TROMIX.  Then you know you are getting quality and that it will work if the BE on the barrel is any good.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know from personal experience Toolcraft .458 S bolts are absolute crap.  Rather than take a chance on an unknown product of dubious pedigree I’d buy either a bolt or complete BCG from TROMIX.  Then you know you are getting quality and that it will work if the BE on the barrel is any good.
View Quote

TC makes carriers, bolts are sourced according to vendor specs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#7]
That may be, but since I bought the complete BCG sold as a complete assembly under their name, then they own it so far as I’m concerned.  If they use crap parts to complete the assembly, sell it under their brand, then that’s totally on them, I don’t care who actually made the sub assembly part.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

AR15part.com says their bolt is special, not ToolCraft.

458 SOCOM Bolt Carrier Group Premium Nitride BCG

This is a specially designed 458 Socom bolt carrier group developed by us for use with 458 Socom upper assemblies. It is highly recommended to use our bolt with 458 Socom uppers/barrels to eliminate feeding and extraction issues that are common to 458 Socom's that do not use this bolt. Our 458 Socom bolt assembly has MANY specific, unique and purposeful features about it that other brand 458 Socom bolts do not have. These features are absolutely critical for reliable, consistent performance in 458 Socom uppers.

Bolt carrier group (full auto version) for your AR15, M16, or M4. Nitride Salt Bath treated on exterior and interior carrier. This M16/M4 carrier includes the properly staked Nitiride treated gas key. Gas key is heat treated per USGI specifications. Gas key is secured to carrier via USGI domestic mfg Grade 8 fasteners and properly staked per Mil-Specs. These properly hardened parts insure a strong staking and proper gas system functioning.

The bolt assembly is machined from Carpenter 158 steel for increased strength, includes tool steel machined extractor and ejector, and extractor spring.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
>I don’t care who actually made the sub assembly part.
View Quote

To each their own. Personally I try to find out as much information as a vendor is willing to share. Their standards are key. Material type/testing/processes/etc....lotta vendors sourcing TC bolts with MIM extractors in the past. Vendors that I avoid now.

On the flip side, if sold as a complete unit as TC lifetime warranty applies, so there's that bright spot.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top