Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/10/2021 12:12:32 AM EDT
So I’m on my first 80% lower using the 5D tactical jig setup. Really pretty easy so far, the biggest consumer of time is how to handle / clean the shavings coming off the router.
I’ve been using the shop vac to try and capture as much as possible but it still builds up. Being really careful I stop frequently and clean it all up.
What have others found an efficient way to handle this challenge ??
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:37:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Compressed air and no care attitude about where it goes lol. I have a magnet mount small air jet (for liquid but just air is fine) I got off Amazon that works good and was cheap.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Option 1: Blow them out.  
Option 2: Suck them up.  
Option 3: Track them around the house for the next 4 years as little reminders of freedom.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Shop vac after each pass. I also built "walls" around my bench with old ceiling tiles
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Option 3: Track them around the house for the next 4 years as little reminders of freedom.
View Quote

Remember, you don't have to tell your wife you built another gun, just tell her is glitter from the strippers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Use option 1 & 2 together.
Make an attachment for the shop vac hose, and one for a small air jet mounted 180° from vac hose.
Leaving chips/shavings in the cut path leads to the bad finish I see on so many of these poorly machined lowers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Use option 1 & 2 together.
Make an attachment for the shop vac hose, and one for a small air jet mounted 180° from vac hose.
Leaving chips/shavings in the cut path leads to the bad finish I see on so many of these poorly machined lowers.
View Quote

Exactly why I only get maybe half a pass before I clean up shavings. I used a shop vac to capture as much as possible. This was a first try. Turned out good. Now I will think on how I want to build a more useful setup for the next one.
It was fun to do and I’ve nothing but praise for the 5D Tactical jigs.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two German Shepherds that collect many of the shavings in their coats, the rest I vacuum and vacuum and vacuum and vacuum... there are still plenty of shavings.  I'm resigned to the fact that I'll never totally rid my house of the shavings.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Those little aluminum shavings can be sharp and they hurt if you get them embedded into your feet.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Last time I did some “home machining” I built a mini paint booth
I framed up a cube with 2x4s and covered with plastic sheeting.
Overlapping flap door. Worked very well
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Last time I did some “home machining” I built a mini paint booth
I framed up a cube with 2x4s and covered with plastic sheeting.
Overlapping flap door. Worked very well
View Quote

Exactly what I was thinking about doing...maybe on a smaller scale.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:12:59 AM EDT
[#11]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/5D-Tactical-MILL-BOX-Gen2-was-MILL-BOX-thread-got-disappeared-/4-747238/https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/5D-Tactical-MILL-BOX-Gen2-was-MILL-BOX-thread-got-disappeared-/4-747238/
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:43:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Those little aluminum shavings can be sharp and they hurt if you get them embedded into your feet.
View Quote

Aw, you get used to it.
In the summer, when I'm out in the shop, machining something, I'm barefoot...
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#13]
You mean you're not supposed to just cover everything with swarf?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Damnit, you posted a picture of the secret attachment that machinists use to keep chips from fouling a surface finish.

Everything I've seen in this section has had chatter marks....
Wait, your not using a router?
Show off  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top