Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2020 5:50:00 PM EDT
Back in April or so some buddies at work convinced me to go target shooting, which we did, and having done so, I decided to build my own AR.  

Aero precision M4E1 upper and lower
Aero Precision S-1 ATLAS hand guard
Aero Precision 16" fluted Wylde barrel, stainless
Aero Precision ambidextrous charging handle
Aero Precision adjustable gas block
Aero Precision buffer system
Strike Industries minor bits - I got rid of the hand grip because it looks silly
Anderson Machine lower parts kit and trigger
Rainier Arms BCG
Magpul furniture and sights

What I am curious about is whether I should check head space before I shoot it for the first time - probably the safest thing to do.

Otherwise, this rifle was so easy to build, I need to build another!  I already have another Aero upper and hand guard ready to go.

Thanks in advance for comments and advice!

Link Posted: 12/26/2020 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Great build.  In a perfect world I'd check headspace on every build; something something, tolerance stacking.  I've built at least a dozen rifles bare upper and have never gauged one and they all have functioned perfect but I always use decent or better parts.  I always shoot a few mags, disassemble and check for strange wear.

Offish topic, I have the same little HF vice.  Works great.  If you can mount it sideways(in my case grab the leg of the workbench of table so the axis lets you get the gun level to the earth) it works great for scope leveling. I also had that hand stop then hated it.  I traded it for a Sig hand stop.

Link Posted: 12/26/2020 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#2]
If the bolt will close and the hammer will drop, you have sufficient headspace.  If no bang or the cases are split, or the shoulder is moved forward, after firing you may have excessive headspace.  Shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Changed your mind on the pink furniture?
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks great! I've never head spaced a single AR I've built (~10) and have never had a problem.
YMMV

Link Posted: 12/26/2020 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Great job. After spending all that money on it I reccomend getting a worthy trigger. Once you try a good quality trigger you'll never want another mil-spec.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#6]
After market triggers are great for target shooting but I’ll take a mil-spec for real work or hunting all day long due to the safety aspect. Some of the after market triggers would be down right dangerous in LE or combat conditions. They have their place.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After market triggers are great for target shooting but I’ll take a mil-spec for real work or hunting all day long due to the safety aspect. Some of the after market triggers would be down right dangerous in LE or combat conditions. They have their place.
View Quote

2-stage
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:55:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Changed your mind on the pink furniture?
View Quote

I'm keeping that one for the next build, lol!
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:59:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Great job. After spending all that money on it I reccomend getting a worthy trigger. Once you try a good quality trigger you'll never want another mil-spec.
View Quote

Thank you for that feedback!  I plan on shooting with the mil spec trigger to get a good feel for baseline feel, and go from there.  Maybe another lower with a good, non mil spec trigger, for target shooting?
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 12:00:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Excellent advice.   Thank yu!
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 12:08:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Great build.  In a perfect world I'd check headspace on every build; something something, tolerance stacking.  I've built at least a dozen rifles bare upper and have never gauged one and they all have functioned perfect but I always use decent or better parts.  I always shoot a few mags, disassemble and check for strange wear.

Offish topic, I have the same little HF vice.  Works great.  If you can mount it sideways(in my case grab the leg of the workbench of table so the axis lets you get the gun level to the earth) it works great for scope leveling. I also had that hand stop then hated it.  I traded it for a Sig hand stop.

View Quote

Both comments are worth their weight in gold.  Thank you so much!
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:33:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Links to all these in-stock Aero parts please.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:11:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I won't order directly from Aero anymore.  Even before the bug, they took multiple days to ship, then I'd pay for 2 day shipping, and it would still take 4 days on top of however long it took them to get the order processed.  Aero makes good shit, but get it from a 3rd party if you want it quickly.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got lucky in March or April with the lower from Rainier in Auburn.

The upper is a blem directly from Aero.

The barrel came straight from Aero, as did the muzzle device.

The adjustable gas block came from AR15 Safe Space.

Can't remember where I got the Aero ambidextrous bolt thingy from.

The ATLAS handguard came from Midway, I think. I got the 9 inch version because it was the only one available.

All of these purchases took place over 3 or 4 months, basically buying parts the second that they were available. Currently, I cannot find most of this stuff available anywhere.

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I won't order directly from Aero anymore.  Even before the bug, they took multiple days to ship, then I'd pay for 2 day shipping, and it would still take 4 days on top of however long it took them to get the order processed.  Aero makes good shit, but get it from a 3rd party if you want it quickly.
View Quote

The few items that I got directly from Aero arrived quickly, likely because they are right down I5 from me. That said, they would often not send tracking info at all, or send it after the item arrived.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't see either the suppressor or the VCOG. Are they just out of the picture?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't see either the suppressor or the VCOG. Are they just out of the picture?
View Quote

Forgive me, as I am still learning all of the terminology here. Are you talking about the muzzle device? I have a VG6 Gamma 556SL on it...

And just Magpul flip up sights currently.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Good job!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice.  Aero is a great company to deal with.  I had an issue with with a bur in a gas block. It wouldn't smoothly accept the tube.  I called customer support and after a short hold the rep said they would send me a new one. He rep indicated, after speaking w a service tech, they had a seen my challenge before.  Those jokers sent it two day FedEx.  Keep in mind I didn't by it direct.  One rarely see customer service like theirs anymore.  Everyone makes mistakes but sadly its a rare bird who will admit it and make things right.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top