Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/19/2020 12:28:44 PM EDT
First time builder here. I accidently cracked a castle nut while putting together my first lower. I believe I over torqued the castle nut by having my torque wrench lined up with my castle nut wrench. I have since read that it should be about 90 degree in relation to the castle nut wrench to get the actual set torque. Or maybe the castle nut was bad or a combination of both.

Anyway, I'm worried that I may have damaged the lower. It looks fine. Threads where the extension screws in are fine. Lower doesn't look bent/misshapen in any way, but if I applied enough force to break the castle nut clean threw, I'm worried I bent the lower in some way. Is there a way to make sure the lower is still okay? Is the lower probably still GTG? The lower is Aero Precision M4E1.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The threads on your tube would likely yield long before an issue with your receiver.

Buy a quality castle nut for replacement and inspect tube threads.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably just a crap castle nut.  If the threads are okay I highly doubt there is any damage to the lower itself, depending on how you held it.  There is no need to torque the shit out of a castle nut.  Shit, I hold the lower in my hand the the stock between my legs.  Stake it and it ain't going anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no need to torque the shit out of a castle nut.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#4]
If you could tell us the source(seller/brand) for the castle nut, that would really appreciated.

Short of a bad batch of heat treatment, it's pretty hard to think that a steel castle nut would crack before it simply deformed/rounded out the notch.

Can you share a photo as well?
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate the help. I'll take a closer look at the threads and make sure they look ok. I had the lower on vise block when I torqued it down.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you could tell us the source(seller/brand) for the castle nut, that would really appreciated.

Short of a bad batch of heat treatment, it's pretty hard to think that a steel castle nut would crack before it simply deformed/rounded out the notch.

Can you share a photo as well?
View Quote

The castle nut was Aero Precision. It was included with an Aero Precision buffer tube kit I bought for the build.

I should have taken a picture or kept it, but I already tossed it. The castle nut snapped and broke at one of the notches.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#7]
happened to me before.
i greased my threads, installed my tube, properly torqued castle nut the right way, 90* 40ftlbs, i couldnt remove it when i tried to, not staked. used 3 different wrenches and they all slipped. held square etc. im very mechanically inclined.
name brand nut too.
couldnt get it off.
so, i used an 18" pipe wrench, the nut cracked in half and fell off as i loosened it. no damage to receiver. some the threads were gouged on the extension tube.
i wouldnt worry about the threads on the extension tube its fine. but do you personally want gauged up parts on your gun if you dont have to?

i always clamp the tube in the vise when torquing the nut down, i dont like the flex and stress on the receiver using a magwell block.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
happened to me before.
i greased my threads, installed my tube, properly torqued castle nut the right way, 90* 40ftlbs, i couldnt remove it when i tried to, not staked. used 3 different wrenches and they all slipped. held square etc. im very mechanically inclined.
name brand nut too.
couldnt get it off.
so, i used an 18" pipe wrench, the nut cracked in half and fell off as i loosened it. no damage to receiver. some the threads were gouged on the extension tube.
i wouldnt worry about the threads on the extension tube its fine. but do you personally want gauged up parts on your gun if you dont have to?

i always clamp the tube in the vise when torquing the nut down, i dont like the flex and stress on the receiver using a magwell block.
View Quote

The flex/stress on the receiver was what had me worried. I bought a new extension tube already, but I was less than impressed with the castle nut that came with the replacement Aero buffer kit I ordered. The staking notches looked terrible to me, so I ended up spending & ordering a couple Forward Controls Designs castle nuts which look great.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting... This castle nut was possibly from Aero Precision too.

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are getting s replacement forward control design makes a good one.

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/CNF-Castle-Nut-Forward-Controls_p_103.html
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
happened to me before.
name brand nut too.
couldnt get it off.

View Quote

It probably galled over a few threads while going on, which is like x-threading.

I think it's important for people to check the threadings using a thread gauge before installing the parts. You'd be surprised what you find.
Also good to just check how loose or tight the nut is on the buffer tube. If it wobbles around when threaded on, that's not good. This fitment should be fairly wobble free.

I most of the time use the DoubleStar thin lock rings, 1st one snuggly, and a 2nd as a locking nut. Then no need to stake it. Never had an issue.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you are getting s replacement forward control design makes a good one.

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/CNF-Castle-Nut-Forward-Controls_p_103.html
View Quote

That's good to hear. I bought a few of those to try.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Interesting... This castle nut was possibly from Aero Precision too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9GHDAmK24I
View Quote

Sounds familiar. Heard a popping noise and the nut split at one of the notches, although it didn't split into two pieces. I really wish I'd taken a picture of it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#14]
yeah i just happen to catch that SOTAR video this morning and definitely not something that's usual.  I suspect a bad batch.

The Forward Controls one is solid
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Broke one too. Only my second "build" so maybe it was my fault but I think it was a cheap part.

The part came in a buffer kit from Kaw Valley and had all 5 star reviews on the website I ordered it from.
item on wing tactical

I used a real avid armorers wrench and didn't even seem to crank it too hard. I had just installed a spikes tactical castle nut on a different lower using the same wrench and it went on fine and luckily had a second ST nut to use as a replacement for the Kaw valley one I just broke. Im assuming that is a cheap castle nut with that granular looking metal on the broken edge. Is that a cast piece then? Just starting out in the AR building world.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
yeah i just happen to catch that SOTAR video this morning and definitely not something that's usual.  I suspect a bad batch.

The Forward Controls one is solid
View Quote

I believe Chad from SOTAR helped design the FCD castle nut
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Broke one too. Only my second "build" so maybe it was my fault but I think it was a cheap part.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1_yNkepN_Z5pQRPBs9M07gvbMFz3ba56Z

The part came in a buffer kit from Kaw Valley and had all 5 star reviews on the website I ordered it from.
item on wing tactical

I used a real avid armorers wrench and didn't even seem to crank it too hard. I had just installed a spikes tactical castle nut on a different lower using the same wrench and it went on fine and luckily had a second ST nut to use as a replacement for the Kaw valley one I just broke. Im assuming that is a cheap castle nut with that granular looking metal on the broken edge. Is that a cast piece then? Just starting out in the AR building world.
View Quote

That looks MIM or cast.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That looks MIM or cast.
View Quote

Cast shouldn't look grainy like that. The uniform look inside and out of that nut makes me think polymer of some sort. If it's metal and heat treated, it looking like that is a sign that the metal was burned before the quench and instead of hardening the metal, made it weak and brittle.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Cast shouldn't look grainy like that. The uniform look inside and out of that nut makes me think polymer of some sort. If it's metal and heat treated, it looking like that is a sign that the metal was burned before the quench and instead of hardening the metal, made it weak and brittle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks MIM or cast.

The entire thing is magnetic, so guessing its all metal but not sure how it was made. Didn't seem to be too strong.!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top