Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2017 11:58:14 PM EDT
Yes, another, what trigger.  But what I am asking is a little different.  There are a few triggers I am interested in and what I would like is input from people who have used them.

My Project: Long range .223 Wylde Ar15 w/ 20" Barrel and 12x fixed optic.(already built, just waiting for a trigger)

- Geissele G2S
(Oldy-but-a-goody)

- Timny Targa AR
(These are fairly new but look promising.  I'm looking at the blue but if you have used the red that is on the table also)

- Larue BMT 2S
(Larue makes good stuff)

Now, I am not looking for someone to tell me which one I should purchase.  What I would like is if you have used one of these triggers what was our experience? Pros/Cons, etc.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Yes, another, what trigger.  But what I am asking is a little different.  There are a few triggers I am interested in and what I would like is input from people who have used them.

My Project: Long range .223 Wylde Ar15 w/ 20" Barrel and 12x fixed optic.(already built, just waiting for a trigger)

- Geissele G2S
(Oldy-but-a-goody)

- Timny Targa AR
(These are fairly new but look promising.  I'm looking at the blue but if you have used the red that is on the table also)

- Larue BMT 2S
(Larue makes good stuff)

Now, I am not looking for someone to tell me which one I should purchase.  What I would like is if you have used one of these triggers what was our experience? Pros/Cons, etc.

Thanks
View Quote

Ive used the G2S and a CMC, to me, the G2S was lightyears better. Then I used an SD3G. I now own a pile of SD3G's.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:28:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an RRA Varmint trigger and for the price works great. I know when I fuck up the trigger pull and call the flyers on me. Other than that I have had no issues.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

- Geissele G2S
(Oldy-but-a-goody)

- Timny Targa AR

- Larue BMT 2S
(Larue makes good stuff)

Thanks
View Quote
Guns:  There are three types of AR triggers: a) the usual GI style single stage, where you pull the trigger through a sliding takeup, followed by a release without hesitation before the hammer falls, b) the newer style single stage with no take up, just a crisp hesitation break, similar to the triggers found on common commercial bolt action rifles and c) two stage triggers such as Geissele's SSA models where there is a sliding first stage, followed by a definite hesitation and crisp break.

It helps if you can try each of these types before you buy, some retail shops (e.g., Rainier Arms) have multiple triggers set up in simulators so you can see what they feel like.  Generally, the better triggers of each type are quite pricy, above the $200 mark.  I've spent way too much on triggers looking for the ultimate, here are some personal observations:

a) sliding single stage:  The standard GI trigger is pretty good if the engagement surfaces are sufficiently polished at the factory.  Also, the simple substitution of JP Rifles "yellow" springs reduces the pull weight.  The ultimate trigger of this type, IMO, is the Hiperfire 24C, a unique design with very light but reliable letoff.  Perfect for high speed double taps.

b) plain single stage crisp letoff:  Most of these are cassette types that drop in with a special need to secure the pins.  In my experience, these all have a bit of creep at the instant of letoff, but many people like them anyway.  One way to avoid wasting money is to focus on the high-end models used by 3-gunners, e.g., AR Gold, JP Rifles, et al.

c)  two stage triggers with crisp break:  Geissele dominates this segment of the market.  I have an SSA-E with yellow springs that breaks at about 3 lbs with no perceptible creep at the break.  IMO this combo is about as good as it gets.  Geissele makes an even better, fully adjustable model called the Hi-speed Match that the NRA service rifle shooters prefer.  You gets what you pay for.

Good luck with your search, do some homework to see what serious competitors use and follow in their footsteps.  Even at that, you may have to endure some expensive trial and error. - CW
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Personally I have a Geissele SSA-E and a LaRue MBT-2S,
The MBT is what I run, only because I like the wider shoe vs the Geissele. The SSA-E is very crisp, but the MBT feels the same just more comfortable in my finger. I would recommend going to a gun store that has them in the trigger chassis so that you can try each one and see what works best for you. Just because they work well for other people doesn't mean it will work well for you.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I love Geissele and all they do. However, when I got my hands on the Larue trigger...I bought 7 more for all of my rifles. Triggers are very much a personal preference though...
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Out of the 2 you mention, I have the G2S and MBT.
Prefer the Big G.
The MBT has a soft reset that seems king of mushy.
The pull on the MBT is amazing, but I really am not liking the reset.
Hopefully it will settle in. Have about 800 rds through it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Forgot to mention, also have a SD3G and a RRA Varmint.
SD3G is an amazing trigger, but would not want one on a precision rig. Works great for 3gun though.
RRA was WELL worth the $60 I paid for it, but is nowhere near the MBT or G.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Triggertech adjustable is what I have in my precision 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#9]
For more precision stuff I run the G2s or MBT2 trigger. I really like the MBT2. My other ARs run single stage cmc flat, elftmann 3g flat or Hypertech.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

- Geissele G2S
(Oldy-but-a-goody)

- Timny Targa AR

- Larue BMT 2S
(Larue makes good stuff)

Thanks
View Quote

For a similar precision build with a custom match Lilja barrel (1:8 twist, Wylde chamber, 416 stainless, hand lapper, recce profile), I opted for the SSA-E because of its uber crisp 1.2 lb. second stage.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the input guys.  Very helpful.

Some more backstory on why I am looking at 2stage triggers:

I am very familiar with the AR platform and single stage triggers but have never used a 2 stage. Unfortunately there are no shops in my area (that I can find) that have these triggers set up for me to test.  I have done a lot of research but have not decided which will be best for me.

I am only a recreational shooter and am not willing to spend over $200, not that I couldn't I just don't want to.  I am even having a hard time swallowing $200 for the Timney since there is not a lot of info on them.  The single stage Timney's are excellent (best value for a single stage IMO) but as for the 2 stage, from what I have been seeing on youtube the Geissele's  2 stage are more crisp and feel lighter out of the box.  I don't shoot enough long range to spend hours smoothing the Timney.  But the Timney's just drop in, so there is that, and the few videos I have seen claim they are great triggers and well worth the $$$

Since I live in California and am not registering my ARs as Assault Weapons (because they are not) I have been playing around with different featureless configurations so I have been playing lego's with my rifles (I have 2 home built ARs that I have been messing with).  Having a drop in would be nice, but not necessary.

Here is my opinion from the research I have done:

RRA 2 stage - this could be a good first 2 stage trigger for someone on inexperienced and a budget but I have more to spend and feel my skill set is above this trigger, I think I could get better results from a good single stage. I'm not saying this trigger would be a bad purchase, it's just not for me and won't suit this rifle.  I ruled this one out a while ago.

Timney Targa AR - Seems like these need some break in out of the box.  Since I will not be shooting this rifle a lot at this time I don't think I am getting this one as much as I want to (I don't hear complaints about Timney triggers very often).  I might purchase it down the road, but it's not going to be my first 2 stage.

Larue - these sound to be the most comfortable trigger and they have a very nice break, but I am sure the soft reset will drive me crazy for long distance shooting. I might be getting one for another build I am working on that is going to be a CQB 300blk.  (It's between this and a 4.5lbs single stage.  Will depend on how much I like 2 stage triggers.)

Geissele - Every review I have ever seen when comparing any Geissele to any other top quality brand, everyone always says they like both but if they had to pick one it would be the Geissele.  I have never seen a review where someone did not like the Geissele and most people rave about them.  If there is a negative review it is that the trigger is to light and crisp, but that is what I am looking for.

Conclusion:
Even thought they seem comparable quality wise, the G2S is about $45 les than the Timney but shouldn't require much break-in.  I think I am getting the G2S.  I am sure the more expensive Geissele triggers are better but I think for my first 2 stage getting the less expensive make sense.  If I like the 2 stage but decide I want something better I can always sell it and purchase something like the SDE.  And that is one advantage of the Geissele, these sell like hotcakes.

I would say keep posting your opinions of triggers.  I know there are lots of posts asking about triggers but most of them are old and there have been many new advancments and designs, most posts older than early 2016 are outdated.

Thank you all for your input.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll take an MBT over an SSA or G2S every time. The G2S-E or SSA-E's are slightly better than the MBT, for the most part I'm not willing to spend the extra on them though. The Geissele High Speed Match triggers are awesome. I'm more likely to spend the extra on a high speed than an SSA-E.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#13]
You say you dont want to spend $200+ on a trigger but it seems the triggers you listed are just that. I have the RRA varmint and its good. Ive shot some very tight groups with it. I havent tried a SSAe so I cant make a comparison. Have you checked out CMC or Velocity single stage triggers?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:51:11 PM EDT
[#15]
For a long range target/ varmint gun you want either the Giselle HiSpeed DMR or the lighter HiSpeed Target.  They are a good bit more expensive but the first and second stages are fully adjustable,  stay adjusted,  and are head and shoulders above anything else.

I have a DMR in my Ar-A4 clone and is a pure joy to use.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#16]
i had a G2S-E, was happy with the feel & function, but it's not compatible with KNS pins, so i stepped up to the SSA-E.  shoulda just went for the SSA-E to start with, coulda saved me a bunch of money.  oh well.  learning...
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i had a G2S-E, was happy with the feel & function, but it's not compatible with KNS pins, so i stepped up to the SSA-E.  shoulda just went for the SSA-E to start with, coulda saved me a bunch of money.  oh well.  learning...
View Quote
If you feel the need to use KNS pins, they have a model designed specifically for use with G triggers. Works with all their triggers if used properly.

OP, of your choices, I'd go with the G2S or try the G2S-E from Brownell's. It's supposed to be an enhanced G2S.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Geissele G2S

gnarlygorilla.com has some good selection.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Pick a 2-stage that fits your price range.

Some have a roll instead of a break, some have have to be released all the way to reset, some have the weight divided differently, but within receiver tolerances, they're the same.

If you wanna be baller, get an adjustable like Geissele NM, Jewell, or Wisconsin MK III
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#20]
You can get a Geissele SSA-E for the same price as a G2S if you wait for a sale.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I've used Geissele's SSA, SSA-E, few others, and the larue; no experience with the other. They are amazing triggers, I prefer the Geissele over larue but it's more $. That being said I've come to realize I don't like two stage triggers (I know you can pull straight through both stages, just preference). I didn't just shoot a friends rifle, I had about 3k rounds behind AR 2 stage triggers. FWIW, probably not much, I run and prefer single stage triggers, CMC and Veloctiy on a budget.

ETA: IMHO I didn't feel much of a huge difference between the Geissele SSA and the SSA-E, other than the SSA-E felt a little more crisp in the break. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll take an MBT over an SSA or G2S every time. The G2S-E or SSA-E's are slightly better than the MBT, for the most part I'm not willing to spend the extra on them though. The Geissele High Speed Match triggers are awesome. I'm more likely to spend the extra on a high speed than an SSA-E.
View Quote
There is really no need to be condescending, that's just plain rude.  And Clearly you did not ready my post correctly.  I said I did not want to spend OVER $200, and I was even having a hard time justifying that much.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Then you have no experience with either the Timney or the Wilson Combat TTU.

The Wilson Combat TTU is available in either a single stage or a two stage. It also incorporates a secondary sear for safety reasons.

I'd have the Wilson Combat TTU in every AR I own if I could afford it, as it is the Rise RA-140 is a pretty damn good trigger considering I've been able to snag them as cheap as $90.00 delivered.
View Quote
I did say I have never used a 2 stage before, yes.  I was looking at the Wilson's but just more than I wanted to spend.  If I was willing to spend $250+ I probably would have gotten a Wilson 2 stage.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#24]
So I just installed my G2S, feels pretty nice dry firing.  Need to take it to the range though. So far I think I can say I have no preference between 2stage and single.  A nice trigger is a nice trigger.  But range time might change that.

I will try to do a follow up with my impressions.  I have learned you just can't really tell with triggers until you shoot them.

Thank you all for your helpful input.  I don't think I would have been disappointed with the Larue or the Timney, but I am happy with my purchase so far. That break is clean, reset is sweet.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top