Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2017 4:08:31 AM EDT
I just posted a post about my new build here. I decided to change out the muzzle brake and the gas block, because I just got a new adjustable one.

The process included taking off the handguards for me to be able to use my barrel blocks.

Everything went fine, until I put the handguards back on. I got all the screws in until, the last one. The head decided to snap off.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I did use some blue loctite, but when I put the screws in, the loctite was still wet. I didn't torque the screws down, but snugged them down.

This is the second time I installed these screws, and I'm surprised this happened. I would've thought that my screw bit would of been screwed up before my the screw would snap.

What are my options currently? I would like to get this barrel nut off now, and replace it with a ALG handguard or something similar. I bought this from Monmouth Reloading, and I just emailed them.

This has only been on my rifle for less than a month. Haven't even shot the thing yet.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:16:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Drill, Dremel, or hacksaw.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:22:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Drill, Dremel, or hacksaw.  
View Quote
lol, I was thinking about drilling it out, but now I want to see what Monmouth will do for me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:29:39 AM EDT
[#3]
ez out
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ez out
View Quote
This. Probably a #1 or #2 extractor.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#5]
https://www.grainger.com/product/42W518&AL!2966!3!166594882706!!!g!71849891599!?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwqXMBRCDARIsAD-AQ2jK750E3aEwmAKl5TidE_jb8Fjlx_UFj9XPK9LCyqOKhzc9P6r-UUoaAkkuEALw_wcB&cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA?campaignid=719691813&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!166594882706!!!!71849891599!&ef_id=WWNwewAAAHp7h2pc:20170808184749:s
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Anybody that works on cars or guns needs to have this kit on their bench!

They have saved my ass a few times.

https://www.amazon.com/SpeedOut-Damaged-Screw-Extractor-Bolt/dp/B00IRL3WP4
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#7]
i stripped my handguard screw. I bought the speed out.  I'm going to replace the screws with slotted ones from a hardware store.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I decided to contact Monmouth Reloading about this, as I bought it from them. Right after I emailed them, the Co Owner James Tobin called me. He tried to explain the situation to me. He told me that I could send it in to Aero Precision and let them tap it out for me, which I chose. I chose this, because if they screwed up, I'd at least get a new handguard...

He called me again 3 hours later while I was at the pool, saying Aero Precision had backed out of the offer, and said they wouldn't do anything about it. James, then offered to refund me 50$ to be able to send it to a gunsmith or get tools to fix it. Honestly, this is the second bad Customer Service I have received from Aero. Like the Handguard, it seems like they want to blame me for the problem. Aero makes some nice things, but their Customer Service, leaves some to be desired.

However Monmouth Reloading did an amazing job, and will be buying more stuff from them, and I would encourage others to as well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:09:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I twisted the head of an Aero screw off as well when installing a Quantum handguard.  I know they have changed the screw design so it must have been a faulty/ weak screw.  With that said, I know I applied too much torque.  Those screws just like the ALG only need to be snug.  They do not need to be torqued on like you would a barrel nut.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:39:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I twisted the head of an Aero screw off as well when installing a Quantum handguard.  I know they have changed the screw design so it must have been a faulty/ weak screw.  With that said, I know I applied too much torque.  Those screws just like the ALG only need to be snug.  They do not need to be torqued on like you would a barrel nut.
View Quote
Nah man, I know for a fact I did not apply torque. Hell all my other screws are still easy to unscrew minus the loctite. Monmouth outdoors told me to use a fat wrench, because I would know exactly how much... I have a fat wrench, but with something so simple I thought I wouldn't need it. I just think this is BS Customer Service on Aeros part.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:44:14 AM EDT
[#11]
If they won't fix it, send it to me, I can fix it for you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a little weary of this after purchasing their BUIS and their 30mm Aimpoint Mount.

I almost went with the same handguard as OP, but I decided on an ALG V2
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm a little weary of this after purchasing their BUIS and their 30mm Aimpoint Mount.

I almost went with the same handguard as OP, but I decided on an ALG V2
View Quote
Yea I have a 12" V2 and like it a lot more as it's thinner. I'm going to be switching to that.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If they won't fix it, send it to me, I can fix it for you.
View Quote
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll just do it on my own. I have a speedout kit that's a decade old... Somewhere. I'll probably end up selling this and getting alg V2.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#15]
The screw head should strip way before the screw breaks. Way to take care of it Aero
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The screw head should strip way before the screw breaks. Way to take care of it Aero
View Quote
Exactly what I would've thought. I would've thought the screwdriver bit would've fudged itself before the screw.... I used a Husky bit and screwdriver.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#17]
@enderwend

I literally had the same thing in the same spot with the same handguard(was even FDE) happen a couple months ago.

Aero sent me a new set of screws real quick and they were quite different then the ones it originally came with. It seems they identified and fixed a problem or had a bad batch of screws. I don't know the technical terms but the bit size is smaller and there is a lot more material connecting the screw head to the shaft. The 2 other Quantum and standad hadnguards I've bought since then had these screws with them.

I used a little Kroil and a left hand drill bit to back it out pretty painlessly. I can go look at the exact size if you need me to.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@enderwend

I literally had the same thing in the same spot with the same handguard(was even FDE) happen a couple months ago.

Aero sent me a new set of screws real quick and they were quite different then the ones it originally came with. It seems they identified and fixed a problem or had a bad batch of screws. I don't know the technical terms but the bit size is smaller and there is a lot more material connecting the screw head to the shaft. The 2 other Quantum and standad hadnguards I've bought since then had these screws with them.

I used a little Kroil and a left hand drill bit to back it out pretty painlessly. I can go look at the exact size if you need me to.
View Quote
Sure that would be great. My problem is just how Aero tried to solve this problem. They told me they were going to fix it then a couple hours later back out of it. I bought this handguard near the beginning of summer, so I would think I got the newer screws.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Kinda ridiculous they backed out of fixing it. They have the tools and I'm sure they have an easy out. It's probably cheaper to fix your rail than having people get turned off by their lack of CS. Which would make people not want to buy their products imo.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sure that would be great. My problem is just how Aero tried to solve this problem. They told me they were going to fix it then a couple hours later back out of it. I bought this handguard near the beginning of summer, so I would think I got the newer screws.
View Quote
When I get home tonight I'll check, it's just a cheap left hand bit. I found even the smallest Easy Out was a little big for this application.

Message them and ask for new screws and maybe link them to this thread. They should at the very least send a new set of screws so you have a functional handguard to keep or sell.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a couple of Aero kits to assemble and was wondering if someone could post a picture of a good screw and maybe one of the weak ones so that I can avoid breaking one.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#22]
The bit I used is a 5/64 left hand bit.

Old is on left, new is on right(don't mind the tan paint)
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I think ya'll can see how there's a major difference in the size and shape.

New is T15. Old is like T20 but seems slightly bigger.

These newer batch or whatever they are have been put though the ringer in several of my handguards, no problem.

The last handguard I bought with the shitty screws was like in February ish. Since then the 3 or so I've gotten have been fine.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The bit I used is a 5/64 left hand bit.

Old is on left, new is on right(don't mind the tan paint)
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435001/20170813_161749-279535.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435001/20170813_161734-279536.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435001/20170813_161725-279537.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435001/20170813_161704-279538.JPG

I think ya'll can see how there's a major difference in the size and shape.

New is T15. Old is like T20 but seems slightly bigger.

These newer batch or whatever they are have been put though the ringer in several of my handguards, no problem.

The last handguard I bought with the shitty screws was like in February ish. Since then the 3 or so I've gotten have been fine.
View Quote
I just got a new set of screws from Aero. They're both T15. What I don't get is how they knew this was a problem, but didn't tell anyone or offer the new screws up. I purchased the kit in mid to early June.

Edit: looking at the screws side by side, I see exactly what happened.

Attachment Attached File

The old one is on the right.

The older one has a 90 degree angle in the bevel, which is the exact point where mine sheared off.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#24]
That one on the right is a very poor design for a screw..
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That one on the right is a very poor design for a screw..
View Quote
My thoughts. My theory is they got like a conex full in a shipment from China and couldn't return them so they rolled with it.

Its my understanding that the majority of small hardware is made overseas now. Hard to find truly domestically produced screws it seems.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#26]
@Aero_Precision

We can see what they would like to add.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I just got a new set of screws from Aero. They're both T15. What I don't get is how they knew this was a problem, but didn't tell anyone or offer the new screws up. I purchased the kit in mid to early June.

Edit: looking at the screws side by side, I see exactly what happened.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/455144/IMG_20170813_144638-279556.JPG
The old one is on the right.

The older one has a 90 degree angle in the bevel, which is the exact point where mine sheared off.
View Quote
   Thanks to both of you who posted a pic.  I only checked one kit so far and it has the newer screws with it.  If I find any of the old ones in the other kit I will contact Aero for an exchange prior to using them.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@Aero_Precision

We can see what they would like to add.
View Quote
When I contacted them they sent me replacements within like 2 days so I'll give them that.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Well that could be as you have mad skills that many of us don't have.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just posted a post about my new build here. I decided to change out the muzzle brake and the gas block, because I just got a new adjustable one.

The process included taking off the handguards for me to be able to use my barrel blocks.

Everything went fine, until I put the handguards back on. I got all the screws in until, the last one. The head decided to snap off.

[url]https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/455144/IMG_20170808_003713-274686.JPG[/rl][url]https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/455144/IMG_20170808_003703-274688.JPG[/rl]

I did use some blue loctite, but when I put the screws in, the loctite was still wet. I didn't torque the screws down, but snugged them down.

This is the second time I installed these screws, and I'm surprised this happened. I would've thought that my screw bit would of been screwed up before my the screw would snap.

What are my options currently? I would like to get this barrel nut off now, and replace it with a ALG handguard or something similar. I bought this from Monmouth Reloading, and I just emailed them.

This has only been on my rifle for less than a month. Haven't even shot the thing yet.
View Quote
Bum screw. I have two and have removed installed several times without issue. I do use the wheeler torque wrench though.

The screw are torqued in so lightly is would think a left hand drill bit would be able to back it out.

Odd both of mine are older V1 enhanced, but use the "newer" screw.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Bum screw. I have two and have removed installed several times without issue. I do use the wheeler torque wrench though.

The screw are torqued in so lightly is would think a left hand drill bit would be able to back it out.

Odd both of mine are older V1 enhanced, but use the "newer" screw.
View Quote
I didn't use the wheeler wrench, but I snugged them up. I didn't torque them on, because I was using loctite, and expected the loctite to do their job.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I didn't use the wheeler wrench, but I snugged them up. I didn't torque them on, because I was using loctite, and expected the loctite to do their job.
View Quote
On that not, heating it up well will help you defeat the loctite when you are trying to get it out(guess it depends on which loctite)
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:15:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

On that not, heating it up well will help you defeat the loctite when you are trying to get it out(guess it depends on which loctite)
View Quote
It's blue loctite, so it's not the strongest. I got all of the other screws out without a problem with the loctite on them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#35]
The screws included with my Aero Precision Gen 2 M4E1 Combo w/ Handguard were aluminum.
This is the only handguard I have ever purchased that did not have steel screws. So I
was very careful to not over torque those little dudes. Seems like Aero engineers do not build/use
what they produce.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The screws included with my Aero Precision Gen 2 M4E1 Combo w/ Handguard were aluminum.
This is the only handguard I have ever purchased that did not have steel screws. So I
was very careful to not over torque those little dudes. Seems like Aero engineers do not build/use
what they produce.
View Quote
Lol good observation. I just checked all of the screws and they're all aluminum. It seems like Aero hasn't learned from their mistakes as the new ones are still aluminum. To me, that's just cheaping out on parts.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Lol good observation. I just checked all of the screws and they're all aluminum. It seems like Aero hasn't learned from their mistakes as the new ones are still aluminum. To me, that's just cheaping out on parts.
View Quote
Ive seen tons of Aero's flip up sights and scope mounts break screws too. Their response is always "you overtorqued them"
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:33:34 AM EDT
[#38]
I have an older, I think, Quantum on my .308. It's old enough that it does not have the QD sockets. When I installed I already had an IWC M-Lok QD mount and installed both at the same time. IIRC, both had T15 fasteners. I had to be very careful with the Aero screws because the Torx portion didn't seem very deep and was a little loose. The screws with the QD mount were tightened using the same screwdriver. They had a much more positive engagement and the Torx was deeper. I thought of giving Aero an FYI at the time but didn't bother as I had to make several attempts to contact them regarding a new barrel I had just purchased that was damaged. It was bad enough that I had started to research disputing the charge on my CC. I apologize to the OP for not doing this as there is a minuscule chance that this may have saved you a little heartburn.

There are a number of bad CS threads out there concerning Aero which is a shame because I like their products. They made things right for me by sending another barrel. For the record, the damage to it had a tear in the packaging that lined up with the damage to the barrel leading me to believe that it was damaged in handling as opposed to poor QC. My beef was that it took multiple attempts to get any sort of acknowledgement from them. With all this said this was a missed opportunity on their part to get some positive press here. They could have held to their word and taken care of this for the OP and he would have likely told someone about it. At a likley minimal cost. A cheap and powerful advertising opportunity missed.

Jester
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ive seen tons of Aero's flip up sights and scope mounts break screws too. Their response is always "you overtorqued them"
View Quote
I'm tempted to just EE my flip ups and go back to MBUS
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#40]
it's threads like these that make me hesitate on picking up their uppers... I hear they make great stuff, but their CS seems to be horrible. With PSA you're in for an annoying time trying to get ahold of CS, and their shipping is slow, but at least they fix it for you if you have a problem.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
"they told me they were going to fix it then a couple hours later back out of it."

I'd be very curious to hear who you spoke with about this. We stand by our word and our manufacturing. Who from our company told you that we were going to fix your issue then didn't follow through? I'll extend that even further and tell you that if your issue hasn't already been fixed, please email me directly at [email protected] and I'll ensure that you're taken care of. The handguard screw recommended torque is 25 in/lb. We do recommend that once you have your set up all set to tab a small amount of BLUE loctite on the screws to ensure they stay put. I've never had a problem backing our screws out at all. That being said, that's not to say you couldn't have an issue such as this, that's fine. That's when you'd want to contact us about it.

To posters above saying that you've broken off your sight base, please go to our customer service link and submit a help ticket. We will get those replaced for you. Please PM me your ticket number once it has been submitted and I'll track your interactions with our techs and make sure you are expedited. Feel free to Mention my name, Jeff, in the ticket as well. Our techs can confirm any questions they have about the issues you are having.  Those sights can be over torqued to the point of breakage. You shouldn't need to tighten them more than just a simple "good and tight" with a torx screw driver.

As for where our materials are sourced, EVERYTHING we do is sourced in the United States. The screw comparison image is interesting. Since I have been with Aero all of our handguard screws have a tapered contour and not a 90º interface with the surface. As all of our handguards have a counter sunk hole, a screw like that would not make sense to include with the handguard as it would not sit flush.
View Quote
First of all, I bought the handguard with those screws. I didn't chose any special options or anything. They just came in the package with my handguard, so if you've never seen them in your handguards, I wouldn't have known.

I was working through Monmouth Reloading, as I felt that you would listen to them more than you would to me.

In my emails through Monmouth, the Co Owner copied Eli Koransky as the man from Aero that would be helping me. I was told that you wanted me to send it in or you guys would just send me a pack of new screws. I chose the option to send it in. 3 Hours later, I get a call from the Co Owner of Monmouth telling me that you guys had backed out, and would only give me screws. The screws with the 90 degree cut do sit flush in the Quantum Handguard.

As I have stated numerous times on this post, I didn't torque them down. I used blue loctite and snugged them down. To add, I've already removed all of the other screws with the blue loctite, with little to no problem, so I can't see how screwing them in would snap the head off.

I'm not making this up, I like a lot of your products. I have your 30mm mounts, rear sights, and a couple of your uppers.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm not coming after you in any way. I was more floored that someone here would have told you something and then pulled the rug out from under you.

Please email me and I can get this fixed for you ASAP.
View Quote
Thanks for the quick reply. I sent you guys an email through ARF.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm not coming after you in any way. I was more floored that someone here would have told you something and then pulled the rug out from under you.

Please email me and I can get this fixed for you ASAP.
View Quote
I appreciate that you responded, Jeff.  

Can you shed some light on what the deal was with the 2 different screw types anyway? Mostly for my own curiosity.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm trying to find the same size screws with a flathead top. Anyone know where I can get them?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm trying to find the same size screws with a flathead top. Anyone know where I can get them?
View Quote
Take one to the hardware store with you. I bet you could find a match at home depot or some other hardware store no problem.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Aero sent me a new upper and handguard to replace the ones I talked about in the OP.

I opened the package to find the exact same screws that broke on me. This handguard came straight from Aero Precision, so I guess it's luck of the draw to which type of screws you get.

Both of the times I got the type of screws that snapped on me, they were in green bags. The better ones came in a blue bag.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#50]
It is good to hear Aero took care of you but it sounds like they need to let the staff know to pull the packages of the defective screws so that no one else has any problems.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top