Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2017 11:06:21 PM EDT
At what point in a build do you have to have the comp pinned and welded?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Before putting it on a rifle lower.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I put it together and the last thing I do is put the MD on, then drill, pin and weld then I stick it on the lower.  It is can be illegal to own a non pined upper if you have a lower configured as a rifle that it can be put on, same as owning a pistol upper without having a lower in a pistol configuration.  Not that I like the laws, but if you have the pieces in your possession, it will be construed as having a non stamped SBR.

ETA, just to add,  I always have a lower that is configured as a pistol lower in the safe.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Usually I'll drop the upper on a pistol lower and test fire the hell out of it to help ensure that there are not any running issues, once satisfied that its good it gets pinned and placed on whatever lower it was destined for.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
At what point in a build do you have to have the comp pinned and welded?
View Quote
I don't understand this question, buy am currious as to weather or not I need to do this.  Please explain.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't understand this question, buy am currious as to weather or not I need to do this.  Please explain.
View Quote
If you have a barrel shorter than 16" with the muzzle device, if it is going to be used on a rifle lower, it will either need to be pinned and welded to make the overall barrel length 16" from the face of the bolt to the end of the barrel with MD, if that can't be done and you still want to use on a lower configured as a rifle, you will need to pay for the tax stamp for the lower which is $200 and takes quite a while to get.  If you don't want to do that, you will need to make sure and have a lower configured as a pistol lower, you can own and use one that is shorter on a pistol configuration without the tax stamp.  I do my own pin and weld on my 14.5" and 14.7" barrels, if you have the right tools, it is not difficult.

When I build one shorter, I just make sure and have a pistol configuration lower to stick it on, then I can use the upper, even if it will eventually become an SBR.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome thank you!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top