Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2017 9:56:57 PM EDT
Hey y'all, so I've got my predator hunting/build something itch scratched with a 300 blk out rifle I built the lower for from an 80%. I really enjoyed the whole process and think I'd like to step it up to a full rifle. I'm thinking 6.5 grendel for deer/potential hog hunting and the ability to shoot out to 800-1,000 yds. I know what I want from the lower, but I'm clueless as far as the upper. I'm a poor college student so I want this to be an economy build except for the barrel, trigger and optic. In my very limited knowledge these 3 things should be the only spots I really need to splurge to get a good shooting gun, right?

I don't plan to have this complete till late next summer so I'm in no rush. If I go slow I can do things right, catch stuff on sale and save as much $$ as possible. My number one question is about the barrel. I'm thinking 20", but is a 24" gonna be worth the extra price? Like I said I'm poor so is building the upper the most economically sounds option, or should I get a completed upper? If I get a professionally done completed upper would that be more accurate?

So what barrels or uppers should I start looking for? Any other advice, things I've clearly got wrong or haven't thought about? I'm doing a lot of reading but I still don't pretend to know much at all so any advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're looking to splurge on an extremely high quality barrel, I'd go with Lilja or JP.

As for building or buying complete, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to assemble an AR upper.  Personally, I'd go the build route so you get exactly what you want.  If you're still concerned, buy the exact parts you want and send them off to someone like ADCO to have them assembled.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#2]
JP supermatch.  Incredible accuracy in 6.5, first hand knowledge.  I would did put it in a Mega upper receiver.

So do you have experience shooting 800-1000 yards?  Just asking?  What optic would you use?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a 6.5 Grendel - 20" group buy going on now on another site for a good price, and you should be able to get in on one of the bolt buys as well. Total will be around $263 for barrel and bolt. There are a few companies selling Bear creek arsenal barrels for cheap, but don't know how well they shoot. I have a 16" and an 18" but haven't shot them. Trigger will depend on whether you are a single stage or two stage guy. I have both and really like the two stage for my precision rifle. The velocity you're going to lose going from 24" to 20" is small - about 25fps/inch.

Build your own, or catch a complete upper on sale. I personally like to build my own. Most complete uppers usually don't stay that way - gas blocks, handguard, and flash hider/brake usually get replaced and the overall cost of replacing those parts plus the original cost of the upper has to be compared to what it would cost to buy/build it the way you want. Prices on a lot of items have gone down drastically in the last 6 months so you may be able to find parts for even less. I built my 20" 6.5 Grendel over the course of 7 months. I didn't buy cheap, but didn't go top of the line either and have about $1500 in that build -not including the suppressor- or roughly $200 a month (the same amount my wife spends to have her hair and nails done every month)!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:37:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
JP supermatch.  Incredible accuracy in 6.5, first hand knowledge.  I would did put it in a Mega upper receiver.

So do you have experience shooting 800-1000 yards?  Just asking?  What optic would you use?
View Quote
No experience whatsoever. Longest shot I've every taken was 2 years ago during hunting season with a 7mm 08. Killed a little buck at about 350 yards. This will primarily be a hunting rifle until I get access to somewhere I can shoot long range, I've wanted to get into it for years but haven't had a rifle so I haven't been actively looking a place to shoot. Although I do know a few people with some pretty big fields, I'll start talking to them about letting me shoot. Also not sure on the optic, haven't done any research on that part either.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No experience whatsoever. Longest shot I've every taken was 2 years ago during hunting season with a 7mm 08. Killed a little buck at about 350 yards. This will primarily be a hunting rifle until I get access to somewhere I can shoot long range, I've wanted to get into it for years but haven't had a rifle so I haven't been actively looking a place to shoot. Although I do know a few people with some pretty big fields, I'll start talking to them about letting me shoot. Also not sure on the optic, haven't done any research on that part either.
View Quote
JP Supermatch

200 yds Hornady 123gr SST if I remember right my labels are gone

100 yards again I think labels gone

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Building the upper yourself is fine, just get the right tools.and a tight fitting extension, and abvious free float.

For the barrel, by far the best budget barrel is the AR Performance with their xd bolt and extension.  Not sure if we are allow to talk about them in here tho.

Otherwise I'd just get a smith to spin up a Bartlein blank.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#7]
My complete upper from grendelhunter.com is flawless and shoots sub MOA with the included 5R, SST, 18" Satern barrel and it cost ~$400 without BCG.  I don't believe that I could have built one as inexpensively at the same quality. Andy, the builder/seller was quick to help me solve a stovepipe ejection problem with premium ammo (needed 1oz more buffer weight because my action was cycling too fast) and my rifle now functions fine with either upper on it.  The POI is the same whether I'm shooting Hornady 123gr or Wolf steel 100gr and I enjoy shooting it more than my 5.56, so I'm a happy camper here.  It's my deer and hog hunting upper.

The Grendel II chamber (parallel throat, longer lead) functions without fail, as have countless other calibers made that same way.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#8]
You should be able to reach out to 1k just fine with the 20." The 24 will get you some better accuracy at that distance and allow you to reach beyond if you want.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top