Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/16/2017 5:17:16 PM EDT
I am thinking about upgrading the barrel on my RRA Elite Operator from the standard chrome line to a match grade barrel. I shoot a lot of a bench, but want to have the best of both worlds, medium distance accuracy from a bench and the ability to keep up a sustained rate of fire if SHTF.   Any suggestions on a good barrel choice?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Colt SOCOM 14.5" pinned/welded and it shoots way better than I ever will.

My buddy got a 1.650" 5 shot /100 yd group out of it last week using some OTM handloads.

I shoot AE223 and groups are usually around 2-2 1/2"  for me.

I am not a rifleman by any stretch though
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:44:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am thinking about upgrading the barrel on my RRA Elite Operator from the standard chrome line to a match grade barrel. I shoot a lot of a bench, but want to have the best of both worlds, medium distance accuracy from a bench and the ability to keep up a sustained rate of fire if SHTF.   Any suggestions on a good barrel choice?
View Quote
What's wrong with your RRA barrel? I know plenty of people are shooting high power in the service rifle category with their barrels. The biggest drawback with your RRA rifle is that they use a uniquely designed barrel extension, and I don't know of anyone making aftermarket barrels for them. The bright side is that RRA barrels are quite accurate. Rumor is that RRA out sources their barrels from Wilson. If you can't modify an aftermarket barrel or find a gunsmith who will, you are stuck buying from RRA. RRA's barrel options are very limited.

For clarification, I assume you are talking about LAR-8, because I don't know of an "Elite Operator" model in their ar-15 size offerings.

I have done it once. I modified the barrel extension on a DPMS pattern barrel chambered for the Creedmoor cartridge, because RRA won't offer any other caliber for their LAR-8 models.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your post. My rifle is an lar-15. The elite operators models were made a few years back, rifle was purchased in 12. I was looking Rainier barrels last night, but may now just look a second rifle that is more geared to precision shooting.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top