Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2016 9:22:15 PM EDT
Hi,

I'm doing a first-time build and thinking about going with a combination of a Vltor A5 and PWS systems, specifically:
  • A5 tube and A5H2 buffer from Vltor (ordered separately, not as kits)
  • End plate and castle nut from PWS (ordered separately from PWS's buffer tube)
  • Standard rifle spring from 1,000,000 different possible manufacturers

Would this setup work as I've specified it? In reading through various posts here and elsewhere, it looks like this should work, but if you have any thoughts, let me know. Thanks for whatever advice pro or con you can give me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Worked fine for me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Worked fine for me.
View Quote

Thanks. Did you order the rifle spring separately, or use the one in the Vltor buffer kit? Can you confirm that it's just a standard rifle-length spring?
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 12:04:35 AM EDT
[#3]
They use a standard rifle spring.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, I tried the Vltor A5 set up for a while, but could not discern any difference in recoil, function, etc. from a standard carbine buffer, tube and spring.  All I got was a higher cost and some difficulty in procuring the right buffer.  I ended up buying the latter from an outfit called heavybuffers dot com.

Later, I switched to a standard size Vltor receiver extension known as the "5-position" model, paired with a one-ounce buffer and reduced power carbine spring from Taccom to go with my low mass carrier and adjustable gas key from Rubber City.  Excellent workmanship on the buffer tube, Vltor makes good stuff. - CW
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:41:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FWIW, I tried the Vltor A5 set up for a while, but could not discern any difference in recoil, function, etc. from a standard carbine buffer, tube and spring.  All I got was a higher cost and some difficulty in procuring the right buffer.  I ended up buying the latter from an outfit called heavybuffers dot com.

Later, I switched to a standard size Vltor receiver extension known as the "5-position" model, paired with a one-ounce buffer and reduced power carbine spring from Taccom to go with my low mass carrier and adjustable gas key from Rubber City.  Excellent workmanship on the buffer tube, Vltor makes good stuff. - CW
View Quote

Interesting. If not for the A5 system, I probably wouldn't go with a Vltor tube. Too many other options. The PWS tube looks well-constructed, for instance.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top