Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/22/2016 12:42:26 PM EDT
Hello,

I built a budget precision rifle with 20" PSA upper (CHF free float stainless barrel. The barrel OD measures .65 under the handguard.) The file has ssa-e trigger and carbine stock. Vortex PST 2.5-10 scope. There are several things I am not happy with this upper:
Muzzle break is really loud
The fairly thin barrel profile gets OK accuracy (sub MOA with 69 gr bullets) but not all day long. Despite needs further confirmation, It seems not like 77 gr bullets.
Barrel heats up quick.

Anyways, now I am working toward getting a suppressor. I am afraid that more weight at the tip of a thin barrel will even affect the barrel resonance even more.
It seems I have to change the gas block and handgard. This leaves me better selling this upper and start from scratch build another one.  

The plan:

1. A thicker 18" match barrel with rifle gas. Like a BCM spr barrel for $300. I am doing research here and the list below are recommended.  
It is hard to choose one of them. By bar, seems the BHW has the biggest bang for the buck. Please chime in here.

Lilja and Krieger
Noveski
BHW
LW
BCM
DD
CLE
Douglas
WOA
BA
Criterion

2. Matching bolt. A few manufactures from the list above offer matching bolt with a reasonable price. Folks, what is the major benefit? I already have a BCG.
3. No suppressor adapter/ muzzle break. Instead, thread the suppressor directly on to the muzzle to save money. I will shoot with the suppressor as much as I can.
4. Adjustable gasblock. Stay with the low cost adjustable gas block that require to use an allen wrench. The same reason above.
5. Hand Guard. Not sure 13" or 15" hand guard. Will 15" handguard be too long to reach the gas block to make adjustment?
Thank you for your time. I have learned a lot from here and your input is always appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet the chrome-lined CHF barrel is more likely the cause of accuracy issues, not necessarily the barrel profile.  Chrome-lined is inherently less accurate than match barrels.

The Faxon rep posted in a thread a little while back that the loss of accuracy in pencil barrels isn't an issue when the barrel is manufactured properly.

I would think a suppressor would mount much better on a muzzle device.  A suppressor mount is not something I would skimp on.  Protect your investment.  An A2 flash hider can serve as a cheap but effective place holder.

Your list of barrels is across the board from budget / chrome lined like you already have, to high end.  If you want to spend the money on a Douglas or Krieger, go for it.  If not, LaRue has a sale right now for $225 that can't be beat.  Faxon offers some gunner barrels that can help cut down on weight.  

I don't see the benefit in a matched bolt.  They probably just run the go / no-go test and call it good, which most quality new bolts and quality new barrels will pass anyways.  It's not a bad thing, but I don't think it's necessary. At a minimum, get a new bolt for a new barrel, and stick with reputable manufacturers.

My adjustable gas block won't fit under a rail, but it did come with a longer wrench for adjustments.  If it was under a rail, I could still reach it, but it wouldn't be as convenient.  I'm sure they are all different.  I don't see any benefit in having a rail past the gas block, unless you think you need the additional sight radius, or maybe you want a flashlight as far out as possible.  Either way, I would rather save on weight.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the feedback.
My current upper is with a CHF stainless barrel. It is not chrome plated.
On the larue stealth subject, the 18" barrel comes with a mid length gas.
I am also going to use a suppressor 99% of the time.
Will an adjustable gas block guarantee no excessive blow black and smooth shooting?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#3]
You may want to post in the suppressor section for better info.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:03:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback.
Will an adjustable gas block guarantee no excessive blow black and smooth shooting?
View Quote

You might want to double check that.... I do not know of any AR barrels that are CHF, everyone I have ever seen is 4150crmov. Most CHF are Chrome Lined. Only CHF not chrome lined I know of are Daniel Defense S2W barrels. Great barrel and they do come in 18 in Rifle length gas. Barrels are CHF 4150crmov and Salt Bath Nitride. The S2W barrels are very capable of sub MOA accuracy if you build the gun right and use match ammo.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the information

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You might want to double check that.... I do not know of any AR barrels that are CHF, everyone I have ever seen is 4150crmov. Most CHF are Chrome Lined. Only CHF not chrome lined I know of are Daniel Defense S2W barrels. Great barrel and they do come in 18 in Rifle length gas. Barrels are CHF 4150crmov and Salt Bath Nitride. The S2W barrels are very capable of sub MOA accuracy if you build the gun right and use match ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes sir it truly is. That was one of the earlier PSA's (big bang for the buck) uppers with a FN made cold hammer forged stainless barrel. The markings on the barrel proves that. It has a good balance between accuracy and weight. As a profile similar to an government profile, is has the short comings of all the light barrels have. Now I am heading to the direction that I can trade weight for more accuracy.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top