Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I just purchased one of The Patriot Kit's from 5D Tactical! I even got an 80% lower as part of the package! I'm excited and I'll get some photos posted as soon as I get my first lower finished!
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4arc:
I just purchased one of The Patriot Kit's from 5D Tactical! I even got an 80% lower as part of the package! I'm excited and I'll get some photos posted as soon as I get my first lower finished!
View Quote
Ditto. I already have the 5D Tactical AR-15 jig, but sounds like the PRO is even better... not sure how that can be, but what can it hurt having 2 jigs?
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Apparently modulus is back in the game
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 10:05:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gopherboy128] [#5]
Yes they are. Their Extreme jig looks a lot like identical to the 5D Tactical Pro jig.

Also, I ordered 2 Modulus billet 80% lowers for $36/ea. Hoping they show up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:52:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rkangel777] [#6]
Any contact information for Modulus anywhere on their website?  I see "lifetime warranty", "100% money back guarantee", "fast shipping", and "hassle free returns" but how does that work when you can't contact them I guess there is an email link buried in the shipping and returns section...
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes there is an email link, however, I sent an email with a question on 9/21 and have yet to get a reply.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By oldguy14:
Yes there is an email link, however, I sent an email with a question on 9/21 and have yet to get a reply.
View Quote
I thought I'd send them an email last night to check their response.  Got an email back from them this morning.  (Incidentally, their lowers are 6061 if anyone was wondering.)
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 1:41:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Rkangel777:

I thought I'd send them an email last night to check their response.  Got an email back from them this morning.  (Incidentally, their lowers are 6061 if anyone was wondering.)
View Quote
I received my order of billet 80% lowers from Modulus Arms today.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Long story short i screwed up a part of my modulus hd jig. The part marked c that you use a router to the shape of the trigger pocked. They used to offer replacement parts but now they say they do not, maybe in the future. Anybody know where parts can be found?
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#11]
On the HD jig, just take the buggered part to a welding shop and ask them to TIG on some extra material where the gouge is.

Then, take a hand file and clean it up.

I doubt they'd even charge you $20 to do it.

As I recall, the HD plates are steel, as opposed to aluminum on the regular jigs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Thats what i ended up doing. Thanks for the reply. He has not called me to pick it up yet my job deals with this shop and he is reputable. I think he will treat me fair.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 3:45:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Russ4777] [#13]
In CA you can’t make up your own s/n.  Must apply to DOJ for a state assigned number then photograph the weapon and “register” it within a prescribed number or days.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Russ4777:
You can’t make up your own s/n.  Must apply to DOJ for a state assigned number then photograph the weapon and “register” it within a prescribed number or days.
View Quote
What?
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Polarbear31:  What?
View Quote
California rules.  Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 5:43:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gra4er] [#16]
FYI...for all of you 5d tactical PRO jig owners out there....

I recently acquired a pro jig from the EE. When it arrived the right side plate bushing was half drilled out. I called 5d to get a replacement and he told me they have changed the mounting holes on the plates. If I ordered just the right side(side I need) then it wouldnt work because the mounting holes are different on the top plate and side plates. He told me I'd have to replace both side plates and the top plate. How can this be? It sure would be nice to know if this was happening because I wouldn't have bought a used one, since they aren't supplying parts for them anymore.....

I'm sure glad I called and didn't just order the replacement because it wouldn't have fit and it doesn't say that anywhere on their website
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By gra4er:

I recently acquired a pro jig from the EE. When it arrived the right side plate bushing was half drilled out. I called 5d to get a replacement and he told me they have changed the mounting holes on the plates. If I ordered just the right side(side I need) then it wouldnt work because the mounting holes are different on the top plate and side plates. He told me I'd have to replace both side plates and the top plate. How can this be? It sure would be nice to know if this was happening because I wouldn't have bought a used one, since they aren't supplying parts for them anymore.....

I'm sure glad I called and didn't just order the replacement because it wouldn't have fit and it doesn't say that anywhere on their website
View Quote
They didn't offer any kind of solution? I'm getting ready to purchase a jig but this has me second guessing the choice.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By gra4er:

View Quote
Is it the old style with a drill bushing?  If so, replace the bushing.  Mcmaster's Carr sells hardened drill guides/bushings.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 2:13:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gra4er] [#19]
Originally Posted By forged:

They didn't offer any kind of solution? I'm getting ready to purchase a jig but this has me second guessing the choice.
View Quote
Their solution was for me to buy both new sides and a top plate...

@AFCarbon15....I returned the jig.  My problem is that they say they warranty those bushings and they shouldn't ever have to be replaced, but they dont offer an economical solution when one does get blown out. To me the bushing should be hard enough to not get eaten by the drill bits even if the drill isn't plumb
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a request, what is the cheapest route to machine out a 80% lower. From cheap mill or drill press to bits. I have a jig and it is one of the sides and top plates for doing a lower.

Just wondering...
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I have been using the Easy Jig Gen 2 Multi-Platform - AR-15, AR-9 and .308 80% Lower Jig with the tool set  with the Makita RT0701C router and find it does a very nice job
https://www.80percentarms.com/products/easy-jig-gen-2-multi-platform-ar-15-ar-9-and-308-80-lower-jig/

I have been using the Noreen and Anderson 80% lowers

Ed
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks Ed!
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 5:41:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#23]
For people that want to try their hand milling a lower from dimensions instead of a jig, these pics might be helpful.

They show the dimensions for an AR15 receiver high shelf and low shelf machining as well as the "full-mill" style pocket machining (like you'd find on a BCI or SOLGW AR15 receiver if that's what you want to build). The pocket dimensions are presented in a fashion especially easy to transcribe directly into conversational CNC coding; pocket outer dimensions are specified with offset from receiver center plane (when needed) and the center of the front pin, as depicted. The dotted lines help show the completed rectangular cutouts needed create the aggregate pocket shape - this is useful for manually machining the pocket using a full diameter 7/16" endmill.

*Note: that the trigger pocket of shown on the AR15 low shelf dimensions provide extra clearance for use of a registered lighting link - it reduces binding and impact to prevent breakage of the RLL ears. This does not otherwise provide any detriment or introduce any excessive play when using a regular semi-auto fire control group.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#24]
@jaqufrost
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I need to get a CNC.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:25:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DLJ] [#26]
Are there any guides for the removal of billet tooling marks? I've seen/read plenty of guides on how to apply a finish on a raw lower but, none on cleaning up the tooling.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Bead blast and anodize. if the marks are more than superficial, you might have to scotchbrite a bit.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I plan to go ahead and buy a 5d jig and some black lowers. Any tips before I place the order?
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:22:56 PM EDT
[#29]
YEA GET READY FOR A REAL LONG WAIT ON DELIVERY. ........................ FROM 5D EVEN AFTER YOU,VE PAID....................
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:55:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: txtj79] [#30]
Im going to pull the trigger on set up. Is 5D still the way to go or is there something else I need to  consider?

any other tips or words of wisdom?
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:16:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#31]
Hey guys just getting into this.  Thanks for all the good info.

One thing I've noticed, since I'm a finish guy, is that it seems to be a PITA to get the raw alum anodized.  Coming from an aerospace background, I have a suggestion.  When we finished alum parts, we would "alodine" them, then prime and paint.  The alodine process is so much easier than anodizing.  No current or temp requirements.  Just a tub with an alodine mix, a brush, and rubber gloves.  You simply brush the alodine onto to the bare alum, let it soak in a minute and then fresh water rinse.  It gives the bare alum a golden finish, which is then ready for painting.

So if you don't mind using one of the spray on coatings, you are now set for any color you want.  

You can get a gallon jug of alodine from places like "Aircraft Spruce".  

So unless you're just set on anodizing it, for whatever reason, I think this is a much better way for DIYers to put a corrosion coat on their bare alum projects before applying a finish.  So you could buy a lower in the raw, machine it, alodine it, and then coat it with your favorite finish.  FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Anybody gotten their 5D router jig kits recently?

Just saw this post on Reddit where someone received a plastic router adapter. Is this normal?
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By diggerwolf:
Anybody gotten their 5D router jig kits recently?

Just saw this post on Reddit where someone received a plastic router adapter. Is this normal?
View Quote

I wonder if Modulus or EasyJig Gen3 are going to be like that?
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 12:53:40 AM EDT
[#34]
THERE ALL MADE BY THE SAME FOLK, MODULOUS, 5D & EASY JIG..................
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By BCOWANWHEELS:
THERE ALL MADE BY THE SAME FOLK, MODULOUS, 5D & EASY JIG..................
View Quote

Not disagreeing with you, just wondering how you know that?
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#36]
THERE ALL IDENTICLE IN EVERY WAY EXCEPT COLOR
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought an 80% AR-15 lower from 80% Arms (https://www.80percentarms.com/) and milled it with the 5d Tactical Jig Pro. Completed my build last weekend and everything went together perfect. This was my first one.

After this I decided I wanted to do an AR-9 and AR-10 (LR 308)... I noticed that 80% Lowers (https://www.80-lower.com/) sells a "Patriot Pack" that comes with all three in a package. I figured this would be a way to save a few bucks, but they have significantly fewer reviews on their website compared to 80% Arms. Anyone have any experience with the 80% lowers from 80% Lowers??? Who are the best manufacturers of these lowers?
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Indeed, now or never maybe....
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:15:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11C1P] [#40]
Originally Posted By FRB1960:

Indeed, now or never maybe....
View Quote

Might not matter as it seems they're coming after them if you already have them.  

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/12/atf-internal-leaks-shows-even-greater-crack-down-80-frames/#ixzz6gO373Vd0

"U.S.A. –-(Ammoland.com)-This week ATF has shown up at multiple shooting-sports-related companies and retailer's door to demanded customer information about those American citizens who legally purchased 80% pistol frames.

News broke late Thursday about the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms & Explosives (ATF) raiding Polymer80 over its “Build, Buy, Shoot” kits.
The federal agency is demanding the customer information of those that purchased the kits.

The apparent change in the regulations according to ATF internal documents obtained by AmmoLand News shows that the agency blames the rise of crimes using built from 80% frames. The documents also claim that “Federal courts have repeatedly held that GCA’s ‘firearms’ definition applies to a collection of unassembled firearms parts, including firearms’ parts kits.’”

The ATF also states that the “Build, Buy, Shoot” kits are firearms because “the kits are designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile.” In just the last 90 days, ATF has said that certain pistols may be “too long” or “too heavy” to be importable. Next, they noted that pistol braces were not permissible unless the company submits every single variation for classification.

Now they are saying that 80% frames and receivers “require case-by-case analysis that is dependent on the facts.” In other words, ATF continues to go out of its way to provide the industry with vague and ambiguous standards that no one can reasonably follow. Someone once said that “The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law.” That is Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms & Explosives in a nutshell. No law-abiding company has any idea how ATF will apply the rules until a SWAT team bangs on the door. And that’s precisely the way the agency wants it.

According to the documents, if an inspector sees a “Build, Buy, Shoot” kit on the shelf of a gun store, they are supposed to call the area supervisor so they can arrange for a special agent to respond. The FFL will be instructed not to transfer or dispose of the kit and will be asked to surrender the product to the ATF. If a special agent finds the kit, they will decide “whether it is appropriate to begin a criminal investigation regarding that kit.”

One of the companies that the ATF paid a visit to was Brownells.com. Although Brownells does sell the Polymer 80% frame kits in question. The visit by the ATF agent/s was reported as not hostile. A simple search of the Brownells.com website would have told ATF that information and saved them the trip that produced them nothing.

“The ATF did visit our facility on Thursday, December 10, 2020,” said Ryan Repp, Brownells VP of Marketing. “It’s my understanding they inquired about our sales of the Polymer 80 ‘Buy, Build, Shoot’ kit. Brownells has not and does not sell that kit. Polymer 80 continues to be a great partner for Brownells. We proudly sell their 80% products and other parts.”

The ATF did raid or show up at other companies that sell other kits that include 80% part kits, barrels, and slides that are not Polymer80. AmmoLand News sources inside the ATF say that the agency is now considering 80% kits with all the parts needed to finish a pistol as a firearm. None of the companies had any warning on the change to ATF’s regulations before actual agents showed up making attempts to retrieve customer information.

The ATF is interested in the customer records, and this seems to be a nationwide crackdown. The agency’s intent on acquiring customer's personal records and run criminal background against the list to see if any felons have purchased the 80% frame. The ATF is making a de facto 80% gun registration.

Local ATF field offices are responsible for executing the orders in any way they see if. This order can be a full-on raid or a single field agent. The order is coming from the top brass at the ATF at the LA field office’s behest.

Gun Owners of America is aware of the situation and believes the ATF’s goal is to build a list of gun owners and punish the kits’ sellers. Gun Owners of American Senior Vice President Erich Pratt views this action as just one more overstep of the ATF.

“Americans have been making their own firearms since the foundation of our country,” said Pratt. “And while technology advances, rights do not change. The ATF’s decision to raid or threaten peaceful businesses is the agency’s latest rogue action in a long line of abuses. Honest citizens should enjoy the right to assemble their own firearms for lawful purposes, and they should be able to do so without being terrorized by their government.”

This is a fast-developing situation, and AmmoLand News will be closely monitoring changing events."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/12/11/polymer80-kits/?fbclid=IwAR1_PoRlmGHMnmiFDAnNT0UhJ1wFoeDgkhZoqIlcGkUTkxLhEq3fu5vtOcw

"Earlier today TFB reported on a story in the Wall Street Journal stating that the ATF had apparently conducted a search warrant at Polymer80 Inc, a company known for producing 80% firearm kits and related parts. These 80% builds, often referred to as “Ghost Guns” by media outlets, presumably because they can be built into firearms without needing to visit an FFL, have long been a topic of debate. This morning, an anonymous TFB reader provided additional information pointing to the ATF visiting end users and requesting the forfeiture of certain Polymer80 kits.

The reader stated that on the afternoon of December 10, 2020, they were visited by the ATF and were requested to surrender any Polymer80 kits. The ATF took custody of the Buy Build Shoot Kit and provided them with a receipt for the property. In the “Basis for Transfer or Seizure of Items” box, the ATF agent wrote “Polymer80, Inc. Investigation”. The email to TFB stated:

They are also going after customers. Had ATF at my house approximately 1pm yesterday telling me I need to surrender my P80 or he would return to raid my house with a warrant. Enclosed is my surrender sheet for proof. If anyone purchased a “Buy, Build, Shoot” kit from them they will probably be hearing from the ATF as well.

The Polymer80 kit known as the Buy Build Shoot kit comes with all the parts, tools and jigs needed to build a working firearm. Federal law allows for non-prohibited persons to build working firearms for personal use. A serial number is not required unless the individual decides to sell the home-built firearm at a later date. A Federal Firearms License (FFL) is required if an individual builds firearm(s) with the intent of offering them for sale. At that point, other regulations like a firearms transaction record may be required as part of federal law.

The basis for the initial raid at Polymer80 and the forfeiture of Polymer80 kits is still unknown. We’ll keep you updated as the story progresses."

Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#41]
So, I'm interested in an 80% build.  After reading, I find that a milling machine is actually required.  Are there an 80%s that can be finished without a mill?  How about the plastic lowers?
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By ABQ87120:  So, I'm interested in an 80% build.  After reading, I find that a milling machine is actually required.  Are there an 80%s that can be finished without a mill?  How about the plastic lowers?
View Quote

You need a hand drill and some chisels.  It gets a lot better if you have a router & a jig.  Mills are for high-rollers.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By ABQ87120:
So, I'm interested in an 80% build.  After reading, I find that a milling machine is actually required.  Are there an 80%s that can be finished without a mill?  How about the plastic lowers?
View Quote

Most any 80% lower can be finished without a mill & most people don't use a milling "machine" they use a router with an endmill.  Plastic lowers can be done the same way.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Diz:
Hey guys just getting into this.  Thanks for all the good info.

One thing I've noticed, since I'm a finish guy, is that it seems to be a PITA to get the raw alum anodized.  Coming from an aerospace background, I have a suggestion.  When we finished alum parts, we would "alodine" them, then prime and paint.  The alodine process is so much easier than anodizing.  No current or temp requirements.  Just a tub with an alodine mix, a brush, and rubber gloves.  You simply brush the alodine onto to the bare alum, let it soak in a minute and then fresh water rinse.  It gives the bare alum a golden finish, which is then ready for painting.

So if you don't mind using one of the spray on coatings, you are now set for any color you want.  

You can get a gallon jug of alodine from places like "Aircraft Spruce".  

So unless you're just set on anodizing it, for whatever reason, I think this is a much better way for DIYers to put a corrosion coat on their bare alum projects before applying a finish.  So you could buy a lower in the raw, machine it, alodine it, and then coat it with your favorite finish.  FWIW.
View Quote

@Diz

This is a great idea!! Thanks for sharing!  I never knew about anything like this. I knew there are all kinds of "salt baths" for various irons and steels, but I can't explain whey I didn't ever think about the possibility for something similar for aluminum alloys.

When I was a kid, we would build engines/cars in auto shop. We may have been able to use this for aluminum cylinder heads. Would you happen to know how much heat the film can take before it quits and breaks down? If not, no worries. I couldn't find the info last night. Thanks again in any event!!

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#45]
If I knew which bushing to order I would order some for me and others with wounded jigs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#46]
https://www.lakesperryco.com/

jigs in stock there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By dww6eng:  https://www.lakesperryco.com/

jigs in stock there.
View Quote

Any reviews of those jigs anywhere?  Looks like it'll take routers or you can use a drill bit method?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Looks like i could order one from LS to drill the trigger, hammer and safety holes then use my 5D to mill out the upper to save from buying another 329.00 jig.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Has anybody tried a Sig 320? It looks like the fire control housing thing is the important part that needs to be finished. Everything else is added to that. And that part is used to make a lot of different configurations. I looked at the 220 but it is expensive, labor intensive, and rare.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top