Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/21/2016 1:55:33 PM EDT
Does anybody know if there is a way to modify a lower receiver to have a tension screw installed like the ones found on the Aero Gen 2 lowers.  I have a Rock River Arms upper/lower that has a lot of play
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea, drill and tap from under the pistol grip for, say, a 1/4-20 nylon tipped set screw which you can get from Mcmaster.

Or there's this: http://www.wheeldiamond.com/nationalmatchshim.htm

I just got a bunch, but unfortunately on the particular upper I wanted to use it the most the cutout it fits into is too deep, so I may be rebuilding it with a different upper receiver I have lying around.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Easy way

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
How in the world did you get an RRA receiver set that has play. Did you get it new? Generally RRA lowers are cut such that you have to hammer the upper on with a rubber mallet to get them together.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I use varmintlight xshims. They do they job without breaking like the o rings.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How in the world did you get an RRA receiver set that has play. Did you get it new? Generally RRA lowers are cut such that you have to hammer the upper on with a rubber mallet to get them together.
View Quote

I fully agree.
I stupidly SBR'd a RRA lower. Yowsah, I have to fight every upper I try to fit on it.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:31:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is a true thing.  fortunately they settle in pretty quickly and just stay a nice fit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:49:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had the upper and lower NP3 by Robar.  I don't know if this is what gave it so much play?  Yes, I purchased it new and have only shot less than 100 rounds with it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:02:19 AM EDT
[#8]
O-rings break. Accuwedge's loosen up over time. They are all "band-aid's" to make you FEEL better. It is not a matter of function (and actually could be more harm than good if a loose chunk of rubber goes renegade in your lower). Just accept the "wiggle", it doesn't hurt anything.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
O-rings break. Accuwedge's loosen up over time. They are all "band-aid's" to make you FEEL better. It is not a matter of function (and actually could be more harm than good if a loose chunk of rubber goes renegade in your lower). Just accept the "wiggle", it doesn't hurt anything.
View Quote

Or add the tension screw.  Or a Demon Tactical takedown pin if it bothers you enough.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#10]
guys, I appreciate all the advice.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#11]
The best way I've seen is an Upper Tension Screw. You would need to drill & tap threads to install, but should be simple to do with a drill press, vice and lube.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is a true thing.  fortunately they settle in pretty quickly and just stay a nice fit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've built on five RRA lowers. They are snug but end up just about right.
Never seen one that was loose.

Just shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#13]
half a foam earplug squished under the lug
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Army marksmanship unit says it has NO EFFECT on accuracy. But, if it bothers you, get after it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top