Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2016 10:40:25 PM EDT
What tool is better for installing rails, muzzle devices  and stocks? The Magpul BevBlock or the Wheeler clam shell/ vice block clamp device? The magpul is double the price and I wont be building 20 Ar's just my one Ar.

This is the Wheeler device

http://www.4gt.ca/wheeler-delta-series-ar-15-upper-vise-block-clamp/
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the wheeler but I do not use it to install muzzle devices I used armorers blocks to vise the barrel for that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both and i use the magpul for everything.  I use the clam shell to support the upper when Im removing gas blocks and gas tubes.  I'd get the magpul and after you use it you can always sell it, you will recover more of your money on the magpul then on  the clam shell.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Clamping the receiver for muzzle devices is a no go.

I'd buy the wheeler and a set of barrel vise blocks, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a clam shell and a barrel vice. On a whim I bought the BEV on sale for the sole purpose of swapping out muzzle devices without having to remove longer rails. Used it for the first time and didn't like it until I found out I used it wrong by not inserting the bolt carrier into the receiver to lock it onto the BEV. So far it seems like a nice tool to have handy, and it definitely fits the category of having the right tool for the job, or to make the job easier.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Come on, nobody just builds "One" AR!

When was the last time you just ate "One" potato chip, or just drank "One" beer!

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:26:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Neither is good for muzzle devices, you should have a set of vise v blocks to clamp the barrel, or blocks of wood in a pinch, but v blocks are about $10 online.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#8]
a little cheaper here: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/210021/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-upper-receiver-vise-block-clamp-ar-15

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#9]
The BEV block is great for installing muzzle devices or barrel nuts, they are tightening the same direction the barrel extension is torqued.

The extension is (suppose to be) torqued to 150ft/lbs. so torquing 80ft/lbs (up to) for a barrel nut in the same direction is not going to disturb the extension.

But removing is a different story. It is very easy to use 150ft/lbs+ when removing a barrel nut or stubborn muzzle device. This is also applying the torque to unscrew the barrel extension if your using a BEV or reaction rod to hold it.

For removing stuff a barrel block in a vise is the correct way.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Some barrels don't allow the use of barrel blocks however, unless you rig up some janky 1" or 2" blocks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Some barrels don't allow the use of barrel blocks however, unless you rig up some janky 1" or 2" blocks.
View Quote
???

Why? That makes no sense at all.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:42:04 AM EDT
[#12]
If you are applying torque to the receiver, such as when installing barrel nuts with delta rings, or barrel nuts for free float tubes - lock down the receiver - the clamshell is the better choice, here.
If you are applying torque to the barrel, such as when installing a muzzle device, lock down the barrel. - The BEV block sort of works for this, but a simple barrel vise block is significantly cheaper.

BEV block is a gimmick that people buy into because MagPul is cool. Don't get me wrong, they make some great products, but that block isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you are applying torque to the receiver, such as when installing barrel nuts with delta rings, or barrel nuts for free float tubes - lock down the receiver - the clamshell is the better choice, here.

If you are applying torque to the barrel, such as when installing a muzzle device, lock down the barrel. - The BEV block sort of works for this, but a simple barrel vise block is significantly cheaper.

BEV block is a gimmick that people buy into because MagPul is cool. Don't get me wrong, they make some great products, but that block isn't one of them.
View Quote
The BEV locks down the barrel and the receiver. It's not just some gimmick, you just don't understand how it works.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top