Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2016 4:16:50 AM EDT
So I've been leaking around these forms for many years but have yet decided to post.

I'm in the last phase of my first AR build and can't make my mind up on what, if anything, needs to go on the gas block sets crews. I've dimpled my barrel to accept the set screw version of the SLR Sentry 7 but will the Rocksett be the best? I have red and blue loctit around for other uses but I've seen mixed reviews on how well any of these three will perform on these set screws. I'm sure the 30-40 inch lbs of torque could hold it, but why risk it? Will the Rocksett be the best option because of its heat resistance?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 4:54:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I have always used blue loctite and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I've always used blue loctite on gas block screws but, I switched over to rocksett because of the heat. Rocksett is similar to blue loctite in that the screws can be taken out with hand tools but can withstand heat over 1k degrees. I say go with rocksett, and definitely use something on your screws...
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Use blue Loctite and knurled cup point set screws.  I quit dimpling my barrels after reading the Battlefield Vegas thread.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:50:10 AM EDT
[#4]
It won't hurt, but I believe you're overthinking it.

Can't say that I've ever had one loosen using the set screws by themselves.  On occasion I'll put a drop of blue picture on the set screw , but it hasn't made any difference.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It won't hurt, but I believe you're overthinking it.

Can't say that I've ever had one loosen using the set screws by themselves.  On occasion I'll put a drop of blue picture on the set screw , but it hasn't made any difference.
View Quote

I agree that you're probably overthinking it.  Rocksett should handle gas block temperatures better than most of the other thread lockers, but I don't think it's needed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I install 7/8th of the screw and apply a little rocksett towards the end and tighten. Holds the screw in place and won't dissolve like locktite.

It can be removed with ease but sticks in pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:31:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Use blue Loctite and knurled cup point set screws.  I quit dimpling my barrels after reading the Battlefield Vegas thread.
View Quote

What is this thread you speak of?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:51:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Loctite is no good under heat. So what's the point?

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Battlefield Vegas Thread

Somewhere in this thread it was stated that they do not dimple or use a bonding agent on their glass blocks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I just installed a SLR 7 on my sbr a few weeks ago, used Rocksett since I was putting my saker mount back on at the same time.

I've only shot it 1 time since, but I don't foresee any problems.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I install 7/8th of the screw and apply a little rocksett towards the end and tighten. Holds the screw in place and won't dissolve like locktite.

It can be removed with ease but sticks in pretty good.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Use high temp red Loctite.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I use red with a dimple and have never had one come off.  

YMMV.  

I prefer that they be pinned but it likely doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:56:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the inputs. I ordered a small bottle off Amazon but won't be putting this build together for another 6 month when I return to the motherland.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:03:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't see a need Rocksett, ever for a GB. If you dimple the barrel and apply the correct torque you will be GTG. Using red loctite is kinda useless because it will break down with the high heat at the GB. I have in the past and they are just as easy to remove if necessary over time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't see a need Rocksett, ever for a GB. If you dimple the barrel and apply the correct torque you will be GTG. Using red loctite is kinda useless because it will break down with the high heat at the GB. I have in the past and they are just as easy to remove if necessary over time.
View Quote

According to ADCO all dimpling does is make alignment easier and nothing to do with holding the block in place. I do dimple my cmv barrels but haven't tried doing my nitride. I'm sure getting the correct torque on the set screws will be good enough but for me the added bonus of rocksett helps with any doubt that my block won't become loose and still able to take my block off if needed.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top