Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2016 7:09:13 PM EDT
don't have the cash for a geissele or timney right now.  
what's a good value trigger?
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#1]
How much are you willing to spend? LaRue's selling their trigger for $125; but you have to be willing to wait months to receive it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#2]
My recommendation (for $150):  http://www.velocitytriggers.com/

Owner worked at Timney for 14 years.

I do own and use one of these so my recommendation is based on experience.

Same trigger rebranded for $15 less- http://www.pc-armament.com/#!store/qsx0v/products/copy-of-velocity-trigger-3lb-curved-green-3

PC Armament is a small, but reliable company to order from. (also based on experience)
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want a two stage, put a Larue on back order for $125.

I've got a Rise drop in that I like pretty well for a budget single stage.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 on the RISE Armament RA-140 Super Sporting Trigger, w/ anti rotational pins
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Another vote for the Rise RA-140!

For 99.00, and it's a drop in, it's the best value out there.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:45:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
don't have the cash for a geissele or timney right now.  
View Quote

What sort of trigger performance are you looking for?
I recently picked up a couple of the Hiperfire EDT's for $85/ea and they make for an excellent 4.5lb single-stage duty trigger (5.5lb if you use the other included hammer spring).
Tomac
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:21:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you see it for $99? It was $129 on the Rise website.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:32:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My recommendation (for $150):  http://www.velocitytriggers.com/
Owner worked at Timney for 14 years.
I do own and use one of these so my recommendation is based on experience.

Same trigger rebranded for $15 less- http://www.pc-armament.com/#!store/qsx0v/products/copy-of-velocity-trigger-3lb-curved-green-3
PC Armament is a small, but reliable company to order from. (also based on experience)
View Quote

good to know, I am a huge timney trigger fan and run a few of them. I will have to give the velocity ones a whirl soon
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:33:08 AM EDT
[#9]
My usual response is Rock River's NM trigger. If you have a little patience they can be had for under $100.

Lately, I have become a believer in WMD guns' NiB coated set. $48 for just the 3 metal parts: trigger, hammer, and disconnector. For $75 you can get a complete lower parts kit that includes those 3 componenets.

Especially, if you eventually plan to replace it, there's no point in spending more money.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#10]
For those of you who are posting "regular" triggers....he asked about DROP IN TRIGGERS!

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

JSE Surplus has it for $95.00 (after you add it to your cart) with shipping, it's around $99.00
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

For those of you who are posting "regular" triggers....he asked about DROP IN TRIGGERS!
JSE Surplus has it for $95.00 (after you add it to your cart) with shipping, it's around $99.00

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While he did state drop in triggers, he specifically mentioned Geissele in the OP, which isn't a cassette style trigger.  

It's about the same amount of work to install either type.  One benefit to cassette style triggers is you can control how precise everything aligns.  I think it really helps on the single stage designs.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't understand the whole "drop-in" trigger concept. If you can't remove two pins and reinstall the trigger and hammer with springs, you don't need to be removing them in the first place.

I use the ALG ACT and QMS, haven't looked back since.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered this trigger last Wed.  Should arrive today or tomorrow.  I'm hoping it's a decent trigger and the price is good.  I almost ordered a velocity trigger instead but found some reviews claiming issues with double and triple fires.  Decided to go with the rise trigger instead.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I ordered this trigger last Wed.  Should arrive today or tomorrow.  I'm hoping it's a decent trigger and the price is good.  I almost ordered a velocity trigger instead but found some reviews claiming issues with double and triple fires.  Decided to go with the rise trigger instead.
View Quote

I received mine Saturday, for $100.00 more or less....I'M IMPRESSED!

It's not equal to my Timney or my Wilson Combat TTU, but for the price theres nothing on the market that can touch it.

Remember on DROP IN triggers, to get the best (lightest) trigger pull you really need to use anti-walk pins like KNS.

WHY?

Because on most they have tiny set screws in the base that you tighten against the bottom of your receiver, that's the primary way they retain the hammer and trigger pins.

You can achieve a lighter pull by simply "snugging" the pins up and using anti-walk pins. I use the KNS units modified and offered by Spike's Tactical, they offer a KNS set that they have had the pins Melonited which results in a MUCH harder and "slicker" surface. Price is around $38.00.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's not equal to my Timney or my Wilson Combat TTU, but for the price theres nothing on the market that can touch it.

Remember on DROP IN triggers, to get the best (lightest) trigger pull you really need to use anti-walk pins like KNS.

WHY?

Because on most they have tiny set screws in the base that you tighten against the bottom of your receiver, that's the primary way they retain the hammer and trigger pins.

You can achieve a lighter pull by simply "snugging" the pins up and using anti-walk pins. I use the KNS units modified and offered by Spike's Tactical, they offer a KNS set that they have had the pins Melonited which results in a MUCH harder and "slicker" surface. Price is around $38.00.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WHY?

Thanks for the info.  I did order kns anti rotation pins with the trigger for just that reason.  Can't wait to get it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#17]
From a pure "bang for buck" proposition, I think the POF Trigger at Joe Bob's is hard to beat: http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/POF_AR15_AR10_4_5lb_Trigger_w_KNS_Anti_Rotation_P_p/pof-00457.htm

For $149.95 you get the trigger, KNS Gen 2 pins ($33.00 value), and a lower parts kit ($29.95 value). Factoring in the extras, the trigger ends up being $87. Add a small item to get the order over $150 and you also get a free Joe Bob t-shirt. Of course this assumes you don't already have trigger pins and an LPK.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
From a pure "bang for buck" proposition, I think the POF Trigger at Joe Bob's is hard to beat: http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/POF_AR15_AR10_4_5lb_Trigger_w_KNS_Anti_Rotation_P_p/pof-00457.htm

For $149.95 you get the trigger, KNS Gen 2 pins ($33.00 value), and a lower parts kit ($29.95 value). Factoring in the extras, the trigger ends up being $87. Add a small item to get the order over $150 and you also get a free Joe Bob t-shirt. Of course this assumes you don't already have trigger pins and an LPK.
View Quote

I have agree, that's one HELL of a deal!!!

I ran one of the POF drop-in triggers for awhile. I thought it was a damn good trigger for the price (I paid $149.99 for just the trigger)
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Velocity trigger ordered through Impact Manufacturing or WC armory at$135.00 reg. $150. I really like my 4 lb version.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought 3 for use in poly lowers since some people have said they've had issues with the pin holes egging out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

WHY?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WHY?

I got mine the other day and its prettu smooth and will feel alot better then a milspec trigger..
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even though it is not a "cassette" style trigger, I sell a lot of the Ruger 452 two-stage triggers for $119.99. I think they are a great value.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Even though it is not a "cassette" style trigger, I sell a lot of the Ruger 452 two-stage triggers for $119.99. I think they are a great value.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you shot an MBT? I doubt the ruger is as good and they're within $5 of each other.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Have you shot an MBT? I doubt the ruger is as good and they're within $5 of each other.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't shot an MBT. I don't know of any major wholesaler that stocks them. I stock items in my store that can be readily sourced and are a good value for the consumer. The Ruger 452s generally produce a total pull of just under four pounds as measured on my scale, which may not be the most accurate scale.

The Ruger 452 also comes with a grip, a test fire housing, a safety selector, safety detent and spring. Those components are worth something and you will use them at some point.

If Larue would give me a dealer discount I would definitely be interested in stocking them in my store.

Have you shot a Ruger 452?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:40:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
and they're within $5 of each other.  
View Quote

I can't really agree with you on that...

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Unfortunately I haven't shot the Ruger trigger yet.

I do have a Geissele SD-C, S2S, High speed match, cmmg 2 stage, rra 2 stage, and rra 2 stage varmint to compare my MBT's with.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I put a Geissele two-stage trigger in one of my customers guns. I forget which model but it had the 2# first stage and 1.5# second stage. I also put a Ruger 452 in another one of his guns. I charged him $219.99 installed for the Geissele and $119.99 installed for the Ruger. I intentionally got him the 3.5# version of the Geissele so he could tell a notable difference between it and the Ruger (advertised 4.5# total pull). After a few weeks the customer reported back to me and told me he could tell the Geissele was a little light and crisper, but that he thought the Ruger was a better value.

I have installed enough of the Ruger 452s that I have determined that some of them are better than others. I attribute that to them being mass produced. I put a Ruger 452 in a customers Colt OEM the other day and it broke at 3 7/8#. I also used the Ruger grip on the guy's gun because the A2 grip the Colt ships with looks oxidized, much like it came from a reject bin.

I also use the Ruger 452 housings as demo housings so customers can compare the Ruger 452 and a mil-spec tigger. I also use one to demo the JP 3.5# yellow springs with a mil-spec trigger.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I've noticed the consistency issue with RRA two stages as well. Some are great and feel as good as a Geissele, others are decent.

The MBT's have a better break than the Geissele's unless you go to the High Speed line. They have also been very consistent in the four that I have used.  They are not super light but they break very nicely. No drag to the second stage, they just snap.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:32:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I would definitely like to try the MBT. I am just afraid it would not be a good product for my store since people want to walk in with a mil-spec trigger and walk out with something much better for as little money as possible.

Did yours come in a complete rifle or did you pay the $75 premium over the $124.99 sticker price to get it in a reasonable amount of time?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I got in on a couple sales last year. All mine were purchased for $150 or under. I've still got one on back order from about new years. My 12/28/2015 order showed up a week or so back.

Unfortunately for shop owners, they haven't offered reduced rates for stores. You can't afford to sit one on your shelf since everyone can order one for less.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Has anyone else had problems with the Rise Armament RA-140?  I installed one in a custom build I'm working on and had double and triple fires.  It would fire on the pull and if you slowly release pressure, instead of jumping from disconnector to sear, it would fire again.  I called their customer service and they were very helpful.  Told me to send it back and they would replace it, no questions.  I'm just waiting for the replacement to get here.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#32]
I have two Rise triggers and neither have had that issue. They are both extremely short reset, about 60% the length of my SD3G.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top